Interior Design Glossary

Decorating a home is no simple task and when your interior decorator is spraying terms like ballast, chair rail and gate-leg table, it can become rather complicated. That is why I am below to provide our reference of interior decoration.

All the terms below might or might not be made use of when reviewing your interior decoration strategies with a professional or supplier. By knowing, or simply keeping record of all the terms below, you can negotiate and make with the best of them.

Did we miss a term? Add your very own in the remarks area below.

Ambient: The environmental problems in the room.

Ambient Illumination: General lighting diffused within an entire room.

Accessories: Little things such as flower holders, books, lights, plants, florals and sculptures made use of to personalize a space.

Ballast: A device that regulates the existing in a fluorescent lamp.

Base Cabinets: Kitchen cabinetry made use of on the floor to offer countertop assistance and is normally 34 1/2 inches tall and 24 inches deep.

Beveled Glass: Clear or mirrored glass in which the edge boundary (normally 1" broad) has actually been reduced at an angle to attain a different visual result. On clear glass, it produces a distorted prism result, and on mirrored glass, it includes a reflective "shimmer".

Boilerplate: The basic terms and conditions on a purchase order or various other record.

Strengthen: A long cushion or cushion normally put on a chair, sofa or bed.

Case-Goods: Furniture made of hard materials such as timber, metal, glass or plastic. Instances of case-goods are breasts, tables, cabinets, bookshelves and closets.

Chair Rail: A piece of ornamental molding put around 30" off the floor to protect walls from being scraped by chair backs.

Chaise Longue or Lounge: A long, reduced upholstered sofa in the form of a chair that is long enough to sustain the legs.

Traditional Crown Molding: Type of crown molding normally made use of to combination with added moldings. Traditional crown is bigger and has a lot more ornamental profiles.

Claw Foot Tub: A tub placed off of the floor on 4 legs. The base of each leg is shaped like a claw foot.

Clear Floor Room: A location that is devoid of blockage. The term is normally made use of in kitchen areas of the referrals for clearances at a devices or work facility.

Color Performance: An index of how light makes things appear.

Console Sink: A sink container supported by legs, which can be metal or wooden.

Console Table: A long narrow table made use of for showing ornamental things, lighting, florals, etc. It's commonly put in an entrance hall or behind a sofa.

Contemporary: The design intrinsic to the present time. Often puzzled with "modern-day.".

Comparison: The distinction in illumination in between surface areas in the field of view.

Credenza: A large reduced cupboard, normally 30" -36" high with a flat top made use of for serving and storage.

Eco-Friendly: Having little or no impact on the native ecological community.

Egress: A path or opening up for leaving a space or structure.

Faux-Finish: An ornamental method in which paint or discolor is put on a surface area to replicate another material such as timber, marble or granite.

Feng Shui: Actually converted as wind and water. An ancient Chinese clinical technique based on selecting the optimal positioning, plan and option of things and surface areas to motivate favorable energy or chi.

Fluorescent Illumination: A kind of lighting in which an electrical fee is gone through mercury vapor to develop a chemical reaction that produces light. It makes use of far less energy and produces less warmth than incandescent or halogen lighting, yet the light quality and shade rendering abilities are decreased.

Focal Point: A visual facility of passion or factor of emphasis in a space.

Gate-Leg Table: A style of drop-leaf table with fallen leaves that are supported by added legs that swing out like gates.

Eco-friendly Style: A style, additionally described as a lasting layout or eco-design, which conforms to environmentally seem principles of structure, material and energy use.

Halogen Illumination: A kind of lighting in which a tungsten filament is secured into a compact transparent vessel and loaded with a small amount of iodine or bromine to develop a chemical reaction that produces light. The light from a halogen light bulb is better at showing colors than typical incandescent or fluorescent bulbs.

Incandescent Illumination: A kind of lighting in which an electrical current is gone through a thin filament, heating it to a temperature level that produces light. The enclosing glass light bulb includes either a vacuum or an inert gas to stop oxidation of the filament. Incandescent bulbs are low-cost and develop great natural light and shade renderings, yet utilize more energy and create more warmth than fluorescent bulbs.

Knock-Down: Furniture that is marketed unassembled or partly constructed.

Careless Susan: An edge cupboard in which the racks are placed on a vertical axle such that things might be retrieved by pushing on the racks. This kind is normally found in kitchen areas. When pushed on the cupboard, "doors" disclose the racks, which are circular except for the ninety-degree intermediary where the doors are placed.

Lumbar Pillow: A little rectangle-shaped cushion designed to sustain the lower back. You see these with elbow chairs and couches.

Mid-Century Modern: An ornamental design initial promoted in the late 1940s defined by tidy lines, the use of modern-day materials such as plastic and light weight aluminum, and a sleek minimal account.

Monochromatic: A color scheme built around one hue, with numerous of its tones and tints.

Mullion: The timber or metal divider panels made use of in between the various panes of glass on multi-paned home windows. Modern home windows commonly include artificial ornamental mullions.

Ottoman: An upholstered stool or hassock, designed to address the foot of a chair.

Necklace: A lighting fixture hung from the ceiling consisting of several lights.

Peninsula: A location of closets or counter secured to the kitchen that can be accessed through one to 3 sides.

Image Airplane: The plane on which the picture is watched.

Image Rail: A horizontal trim item installed high up on a wall as a means of hanging pictures without puncturing the wall with nails.

Pocket Door: A door that moves horizontally on a track and is normally relocated inside a wall for storage.

Primary Colors: The 3 standard colors of which all various other colors are consisted of: red, yellow and blue.

R&R: Get Rid Of and Replace. It's a term defining an easy makeover job that involves removing and changing kitchen cabinetry, components and home appliances without architectural or mechanical modifications.

Recover: To utilize an item once more after its initial use.

Substitute Element: The portion of time that a product will need substitute.

Runner: A long narrow rug designed to go in a hallway or foyer.

Range: The sum of the services and products to be given as a job.

Solution Access: A second, casual entry to the house, made use of for bringing in groceries and products. It's commonly near to the kitchen, garage or carport.

Settee: A long wooden or upholstered bench with a back, designed to seat two or more individuals.

Slipcover: A removable fabric cover for a chair, sofa or seat.

Soffit: A reduced part of a ceiling.

Sub-Flooring: The flooring used straight to the floor joist in addition to which the completed floor rests.

Task Illumination: A lighting resource guided to a particular function within a space. Checking out lights in a living-room or under-counter lighting in a kitchen are instances of task lighting.

Tint: Any shade blended with white (i.e. all pastel colors are tints).

Tone: Any shade blended with grey (most warm-looking colors are tones).

Torchere: A flooring lamp that routes light up to offer ambient room lighting.

Tufting: The upholstery process of snugly collecting fabric over a padded base and protecting the collected part to a taken care of backing using sewing or switches. This process produces little patchworks of fabric, called "tufts".

Universal Style: The layout of products and atmospheres to be useable by all individuals to the greatest extent feasible.

Valance: An ornamental window therapy placed across the top of a home window (outside the case). They are normally integrated with blinds, curtain panels, or sheers.

Vanity: Bathroom cupboard with the lavatory on the kind.

Veneer: A thin layer of timber produced by peeling off the trunk of a tree on a roller to create long sheets with a regular grain pattern. This layer is after that put on a solid or fiberboard backing to develop a much more uniform look.

Vintage: Furniture and ornamental elements that are in between 10 and 100 years of ages. Elements are commonly found at flea markets, garage sales and specialty "vintage" stores.

Wainscoting: Paneling on the lower fifty percent of a wall that varies from the upper fifty percent. A chair rail normally divides it.

Job Aisle: Room required to work at the kitchen work centers.