Interior Decoration Glossary

Enhancing a home is no easy task and when your interior decorator is throwing around terms like ballast, chair rail and gate-leg table, it can come to be fairly complex. That is why I am below to offer our glossary of interior decoration.

All the terms below might or might not be used when reviewing your interior decoration strategies with a professional or maker. By knowing, or just keeping record of all the terms below, you can discuss and create with the most effective of them.

Did we miss a term? Add your very own in the comments section below.

Ambient: The ecological conditions in the room.

Ambient Lighting: General lighting diffused within an entire room.

Accessories: Little objects such as flower holders, publications, lamps, plants, florals and sculptures used to personalize a room.

Ballast: A device that controls the existing in a fluorescent light.

Base Cabinets: Cabinetry used on the flooring to offer kitchen counter assistance and is typically 34 1/2 inches high and 24 inches deep.

Beveled Glass: Clear or mirrored glass in which the edge boundary (generally 1" vast) has been reduced at an angle to accomplish a contrasting visual result. On clear glass, it creates a distorted prism result, and on mirrored glass, it includes a reflective "sparkle".

Boilerplate: The common terms and conditions on an order or other file.

Strengthen: A long pillow or pillow generally placed on a chair, sofa or bed.

Case-Goods: Furniture made from hard products such as wood, metal, glass or plastic. Examples of case-goods are breasts, tables, dressers, bookshelves and cupboards.

Chair Rail: An item of decorative molding put about 30" off the flooring to shield wall surfaces from being scraped by chair backs.

Chaise Longue or Lounge: A long, low upholstered couch in the shape of a chair that is long sufficient to sustain the legs.

Traditional Crown Molding: Sort Of crown molding generally used to conjunction with additional moldings. Traditional crown is bigger and has extra decorative accounts.

Claw Foot Bathtub: A bathtub placed off of the flooring on 4 legs. The base of each leg is shaped like a claw foot.

Clear Flooring Room: An area that is free of blockage. The term is typically used in kitchen areas in reference to the recommendations for clearances at a home appliances or job facility.

Shade Rendition: An index of exactly how light makes objects appear.

Console Sink: A sink basin sustained by legs, which can be metal or wooden.

Console Table: A long slim table used for presenting decorative objects, lighting, florals, and so on. It's typically put in a foyer or behind a couch.

Contemporary: The style integral to the present time. Typically confused with "contemporary.".

Comparison: The distinction in illumination between surfaces in the field of sight.

Credenza: A large low cupboard, generally 30" -36" high with a flat top used for serving and storage space.

Eco-Friendly: Having little or no impact on the native ecosystem.

Egress: A path or opening up for leaving a room or building.

Faux-Finish: A decorative strategy in which paint or discolor is put on a surface area to replicate another material such as wood, marble or granite.

Feng Shui: Essentially converted as wind and water. An ancient Chinese scientific method based on picking the ideal placement, arrangement and choice of objects and surfaces to urge positive power or chi.

Fluorescent Lighting: A sort of lighting in which an electric fee is travelled through mercury vapor to create a chain reaction that produces light. It makes use of far less power and creates less heat than incandescent or halogen lighting, yet the light top quality and color rendering capacities are reduced.

Focal Point: An aesthetic facility of passion or factor of emphasis in a room.

Gate-Leg Table: A style of drop-leaf table with leaves that are sustained by added legs that turn out like gateways.

Environment-friendly Layout: A design, likewise described as a sustainable design or eco-design, which satisfies eco appear concepts of building, material and power usage.

Halogen Lighting: A sort of lighting in which a tungsten filament is sealed right into a portable transparent vessel and loaded with a small amount of iodine or bromine to create a chain reaction that produces light. The light from a halogen bulb is much better at presenting shades than conventional incandescent or fluorescent bulbs.

Incandescent Lighting: A sort of lighting in which an electric current is travelled through a thin filament, warming it to a temperature level that produces light. The confining glass bulb includes either a vacuum cleaner or an inert gas to prevent oxidation of the filament. Incandescent bulbs are inexpensive and create excellent all-natural light and color renderings, yet utilize more power and create more heat than fluorescent bulbs.

Knock-Down: Furniture that is offered unassembled or partially constructed.

Lazy Susan: A corner cupboard in which the racks are placed on a vertical axle such that things might be obtained by pushing on the racks. This type is generally found in kitchen areas. When pushed on the cupboard, "doors" disclose the racks, which are round with the exception of the ninety-degree cutout where the doors are placed.

Lumbar Cushion: A small rectangular pillow created to sustain the lower back. You see these with armchairs and sofas.

Mid-Century Modern: A decorative style very first promoted in the late 1940s characterized by clean lines, the use of contemporary products such as plastic and aluminum, and a streamlined very little account.

Single: A color pattern developed around one tone, with several of its tones and colors.

Mullion: The wood or metal dividers used between the various panes of glass on multi-paned windows. Modern windows typically feature faux decorative mullions.

Footrest: An upholstered feces or hassock, created to address the foot of a chair.

Necklace: A lights component hung from the ceiling containing one or more lamps.

Peninsula: An area of cupboards or counter secured to the kitchen area that can be accessed via one to three sides.

Image Plane: The airplane on which the picture is seen.

Image Rail: A horizontal trim item set up high up on a wall surface as a means of hanging pictures without puncturing the wall surface with nails.

Pocket Door: A door that moves flat on a track and is typically relocated inside a wall surface for storage space.

Primary Colors: The three basic shades of which all other shades are consisted of: red, yellow and blue.

R&R: Get Rid Of and Change. It's a term defining a straightforward improvement job that includes eliminating and replacing kitchen cabinetry, fixtures and appliances without structural or mechanical modifications.

Reclaim: To utilize an item once more after its first usage.

Replacement Factor: The portion of time that a thing will require substitute.

Runner: A long slim area rug created to enter a hallway or foyer.

Scope: The sum of the product or services to be given as a task.

Solution Access: A second, casual entrance to the residence, used for generating grocery stores and products. It's typically close to the kitchen area, garage or carport.

Sofa: A long wooden or upholstered bench with a back, created to seat two or more people.

Slipcover: A removable fabric cover for a chair, sofa or loveseat.

Soffit: A decreased portion of a ceiling.

Sub-Flooring: The floor covering applied directly to the flooring joist in addition to which the finished flooring relaxes.

Task Lighting: A lights source directed to a specific function within a room. Reviewing lights in a living-room or under-counter lighting in a cooking area are instances of task lighting.

Tint: Any type of color blended with white (i.e. all light shades are colors).

Tone: Any type of color blended with gray (most warm-looking shades are tones).

Torchere: A floor light that directs light upwards to offer ambient room lighting.

Tufting: The upholstery procedure of snugly collecting fabric over a padded base and safeguarding the gathered portion to a dealt with backing utilizing sewing or switches. This procedure creates tiny patchworks of fabric, referred to as "tufts".

Universal Layout: The design of products and atmospheres to be able to be used by all people to the greatest degree possible.

Frame: A decorative window treatment placed throughout the top of a window (outside the housing). They are generally incorporated with blinds, curtain panels, or sheers.

Vanity: Bathroom cupboard with the lavatory on the type.

Veneer: A thin layer of wood created by peeling the trunk of a tree on a roller to generate long sheets with a constant grain pattern. This layer is then put on a solid or fiberboard backing to create a more uniform appearance.

Vintage: Furniture and decorative aspects that are between 10 and 100 years of ages. Elements are typically found at flea markets, yard sales and specialized "vintage" retailers.

Wainscoting: Paneling on the lower fifty percent of a wall surface that differs from the top fifty percent. A chair rail generally divides it.

Work Aisle: Room required to work at the kitchen area job facilities.