Interior Design Glossary

Embellishing a residence is no simple job and when your interior decorator is throwing around terms like ballast, chair rail and gate-leg table, it can come to be fairly confusing. That is why I am below to provide our glossary of interior decoration.

All the terms below may or may not be utilized when discussing your interior decoration strategies with a professional or producer. By knowing, or merely keeping document of all the terms below, you can bargain and design with the most effective of them.

Did we miss a term? Include your own in the remarks area below.

Ambient: The ecological conditions in the room.

Ambient Lighting: General lighting diffused within a whole room.

Devices: Tiny items such as vases, publications, lamps, plants, florals and sculptures utilized to individualize an area.

Ballast: A tool that controls the existing in a fluorescent light.

Base Cabinets: Kitchen cabinetry utilized on the flooring to give kitchen counter support and is normally 34 1/2 inches tall and 24 inches deep.

Beveled Glass: Clear or mirrored glass in which the edge boundary (usually 1" wide) has been cut at an angle to attain a different visual effect. On clear glass, it creates an altered prism effect, and on mirrored glass, it includes a reflective "glimmer".

Boilerplate: The typical terms and conditions on an order or other record.

Strengthen: A long pillow or pillow usually positioned on a chair, couch or bed.

Case-Goods: Furniture made of hard products such as wood, metal, glass or plastic. Examples of case-goods are chests, tables, cabinets, bookshelves and closets.

Chair Rail: A piece of decorative molding placed around 30" off the flooring to protect wall surfaces from being scraped by chair backs.

Chaise Longue or Lounge: A long, low upholstered couch in the form of a chair that is long sufficient to sustain the legs.

Traditional Crown Molding: Type of crown molding usually utilized to combination with added moldings. Traditional crown is bigger and has a lot more decorative accounts.

Claw Foot Tub: A tub installed off of the flooring on four legs. The base of each leg is formed like a claw foot.

Clear Flooring Area: A location that is without blockage. The term is normally utilized in kitchen areas of the suggestions for clearances at a home appliances or work facility.

Shade Rendition: An index of exactly how light makes items appear.

Console Sink: A sink container sustained by legs, which can be metal or wood.

Console Table: A long slim table utilized for displaying decorative items, lights, florals, etc. It's typically placed in an entrance hall or behind a couch.

Contemporary: The style inherent to today time. Commonly confused with "contemporary.".

Comparison: The difference in brightness in between surface areas in the field of sight.

Credenza: A large low closet, usually 30" -36" high with a flat top utilized for serving and storage.

Eco-Friendly: Having little or no influence on the native community.

Egress: A path or opening up for exiting an area or building.

Faux-Finish: An attractive method in which paint or discolor is put on a surface area to mimic an additional material such as wood, marble or granite.

Feng Shui: Essentially converted as wind and water. An ancient Chinese clinical method based upon selecting the ideal positioning, setup and option of items and surface areas to urge positive energy or chi.

Fluorescent Lighting: A sort of lights in which an electrical cost is travelled through mercury vapor to create a chemical reaction that generates light. It uses much much less energy and creates much less warm than incandescent or halogen lights, but the light high quality and color making capacities are decreased.

Centerpiece: A visual facility of interest or factor of emphasis in an area.

Gate-Leg Table: A design of drop-leaf table with fallen leaves that are sustained by extra legs that swing out like entrances.

Eco-friendly Design: A style, likewise described as a lasting style or eco-design, which complies with eco seem concepts of building, material and energy use.

Halogen Lighting: A sort of lights in which a tungsten filament is sealed into a portable transparent vessel and full of a percentage of iodine or bromine to create a chemical reaction that generates light. The light from a halogen bulb is much better at displaying colors than standard incandescent or fluorescent light bulbs.

Incandescent Lighting: A sort of lights in which an electric current is travelled through a slim filament, heating it to a temperature level that generates light. The enclosing glass bulb consists of either a vacuum or an inert gas to avoid oxidation of the filament. Incandescent light bulbs are inexpensive and create excellent natural light and color makings, but utilize even more energy and generate even more warm than fluorescent light bulbs.

Knock-Down: Furniture that is sold unassembled or partly set up.

Lazy Susan: A corner closet in which the shelves are installed on a vertical axle such that products may be retrieved by pushing on the shelves. This type is usually found in kitchen areas. When pushed on the closet, "doors" disclose the shelves, which are circular except for the ninety-degree cutout where the doors are installed.

Lumbar Cushion: A tiny rectangular pillow made to sustain the reduced back. You see these with elbow chairs and sofas.

Mid-Century Modern: An attractive style first popularized in the late 1940s defined by tidy lines, the use of contemporary products such as plastic and aluminum, and a sleek minimal profile.

Single: A color scheme constructed around one shade, with several of its tones and tints.

Mullion: The wood or metal dividers utilized in between the different panes of glass on multi-paned home windows. Modern home windows typically feature synthetic decorative mullions.

Ottoman: An upholstered feces or hassock, made to address the foot of a chair.

Necklace: A lighting component hung from the ceiling including several lamps.

Peninsula: A location of closets or counter secured to the kitchen area that can be accessed by means of one to 3 sides.

Image Plane: The plane on which the picture is seen.

Image Rail: A horizontal trim piece set up high up on a wall surface as a way of hanging photos without piercing the wall surface with nails.

Pocket Door: A door that glides horizontally on a track and is normally relocated inside a wall surface for storage.

Primaries: The 3 basic colors of which all other colors are comprised of: red, yellow and blue.

R&R: Remove and Change. It's a term explaining a basic improvement job that entails eliminating and changing cabinetry, components and appliances without architectural or mechanical changes.

Redeem: To utilize an item again after its first use.

Replacement Element: The percent of time that an item will need replacement.

Runner: A long slim rug made to enter a hallway or entrance hall.

Scope: The amount of the services and products to be provided as a project.

Service Entry: A 2nd, casual entrance to the residence, utilized for bringing in groceries and supplies. It's typically close to the kitchen area, garage or carport.

Sofa: A long wood or upholstered bench with a back, made to seat two or even more people.

Slipcover: A detachable fabric cover for a chair, couch or loveseat.

Soffit: A lowered part of a ceiling.

Sub-Flooring: The flooring applied straight to the flooring joist on top of which the completed flooring relaxes.

Task Lighting: A lighting source guided to a particular objective within an area. Checking out lights in a living-room or under-counter lights in a kitchen area are examples of job lights.

Tint: Any color blended with white (i.e. all pastel colors are tints).

Tone: Any color blended with gray (most warm-looking colors are tones).

Torchere: A flooring light that guides light upward to give ambient room lights.

Tufting: The furniture process of firmly collecting fabric over a padded base and securing the collected part to a fixed support using sewing or buttons. This process creates small patchworks of fabric, referred to as "tufts".

Universal Design: The style of products and settings to be useable by all people to the best level feasible.

Valance: An attractive window treatment installed across the top of a home window (outside the case). They are usually incorporated with blinds, curtain panels, or sheers.

Vanity: Shower room closet with the bathroom on the type.

Veneer: A thin layer of wood produced by peeling off the trunk of a tree on a roller to produce lengthy sheets with a constant grain pattern. This layer is then put on a strong or fiber board support to create a much more uniform appearance.

Vintage: Furniture and decorative components that are in between 10 and 100 years of ages. Elements are typically found at flea markets, garage sales and specialized "vintage" stores.

Wainscoting: Paneling on the reduced fifty percent of a wall surface that varies from the top fifty percent. A chair rail usually separates it.

Work Aisle: Area required to operate at the kitchen area work facilities.