Interior Design Glossary

Embellishing a home is no very easy task and when your interior decorator is spraying terms like ballast, chair rail and gate-leg table, it can become fairly confusing. That is why I am below to provide our glossary of interior design.

All the terms below may or may not be used when reviewing your interior design plans with a specialist or supplier. By recognizing, or simply maintaining document of all the terms below, you can work out and design with the very best of them.

Did we miss out on a term? Add your own in the comments section below.

Ambient: The ecological problems in the space.

Ambient Lighting: General lighting diffused within an entire space.

Accessories: Little things such as flower holders, books, lights, plants, florals and sculptures used to customize a room.

Ballast: A tool that regulates the existing in a fluorescent lamp.

Base Cabinets: Cabinets used on the flooring to provide countertop assistance and is usually 34 1/2 inches high and 24 inches deep.

Beveled Glass: Clear or mirrored glass in which the edge perimeter (generally 1" large) has actually been reduced at an angle to accomplish a different aesthetic impact. On clear glass, it produces an altered prism impact, and on mirrored glass, it adds a reflective "shimmer".

Boilerplate: The common terms and conditions on a purchase order or various other file.

Boost: A long pillow or padding generally put on a chair, couch or bed.

Case-Goods: Furniture constructed from hard products such as timber, steel, glass or plastic. Examples of case-goods are upper bodies, tables, dressers, shelfs and closets.

Chair Rail: An item of attractive molding put around 30" off the flooring to protect walls from being scraped by chair backs.

Chaise Longue or Lounge: A long, low upholstered couch in the form of a chair that is long enough to support the legs.

Timeless Crown Molding: Sort Of crown molding generally used to conjunction with added moldings. Timeless crown is larger and has extra attractive profiles.

Claw Foot Tub: A bathtub mounted off of the flooring on four legs. The base of each leg is shaped like a claw foot.

Clear Flooring Area: A location that is free of obstruction. The term is usually used in kitchens in reference to the suggestions for clearances at a devices or job center.

Color Performance: An index of how light makes things show up.

Console Sink: A sink container sustained by legs, which can be steel or wood.

Console Table: A long slim table used for displaying attractive things, illumination, florals, etc. It's typically put in a foyer or behind a sofa.

Contemporary: The design fundamental to the present time. Commonly confused with "contemporary.".

Contrast: The distinction in brightness in between surfaces in the field of view.

Credenza: A huge low cabinet, generally 30" -36" high with a level top used for offering and storage.

Eco-Friendly: Having little or no effect on the native environment.

Egress: A path or opening for exiting a room or building.

Faux-Finish: A decorative strategy in which paint or discolor is related to a surface to replicate another material such as timber, marble or granite.

Feng Shui: Essentially translated as wind and water. An old Chinese scientific technique based upon picking the optimum placement, arrangement and choice of things and surfaces to motivate favorable power or chi.

Fluorescent Lighting: A kind of illumination in which an electric charge is gone through mercury vapor to create a chain reaction that creates light. It uses much much less power and produces much less warmth than incandescent or halogen illumination, but the light top quality and color making capabilities are lessened.

Prime focus: An aesthetic center of interest or point of focus in a room.

Gate-Leg Table: A style of drop-leaf table with fallen leaves that are sustained by extra legs that swing out like entrances.

Environment-friendly Design: A design, additionally described as a sustainable design or eco-design, which satisfies eco sound principles of building, material and power usage.

Halogen Lighting: A kind of illumination in which a tungsten filament is secured into a compact transparent vessel and filled with a percentage of iodine or bromine to create a chain reaction that creates light. The light from a halogen bulb is much better at displaying shades than standard incandescent or fluorescent bulbs.

Incandescent Lighting: A kind of illumination in which an electric current is gone through a thin filament, warming it to a temperature that creates light. The confining glass bulb includes either a vacuum or an inert gas to avoid oxidation of the filament. Incandescent bulbs are cost-effective and create excellent all-natural light and color renderings, but utilize more power and produce more warmth than fluorescent bulbs.

Knock-Down: Furniture that is offered unassembled or partly constructed.

Careless Susan: A corner cabinet in which the shelves are mounted on an upright axle such that items may be gotten by pushing on the shelves. This kind is generally found in kitchens. When pushed on the cabinet, "doors" expose the shelves, which are circular with the exception of the ninety-degree intermediary where the doors are mounted.

Lumbar Pillow: A little rectangle-shaped pillow designed to support the lower back. You see these with elbow chairs and couches.

Mid-Century Modern: A decorative design first popularized in the late 1940s defined by clean lines, making use of contemporary products such as plastic and aluminum, and a streamlined minimal account.

Single: A color scheme developed around one tone, with several of its tones and colors.

Mullion: The timber or steel dividers used in between the various panes of glass on multi-paned windows. Modern windows typically include faux attractive mullions.

Footrest: An upholstered feces or hassock, designed to address the foot of a chair.

Pendant: An illumination component hung from the ceiling containing several lights.

Peninsula: A location of closets or counter attached to the cooking area that can be accessed through one to 3 sides.

Picture Aircraft: The aircraft on which the picture is watched.

Picture Rail: A straight trim piece set up high up on a wall surface as a way of hanging photos without puncturing the wall with nails.

Pocket Door: A door that moves horizontally on a track and is usually relocated inside a wall surface for storage.

Primaries: The 3 fundamental shades of which all various other shades are comprised of: red, yellow and blue.

R&R: Eliminate and Change. It's a term defining a straightforward remodeling task that includes getting rid of and changing cabinets, fixtures and devices without architectural or mechanical modifications.

Redeem: To utilize a product once again after its initial usage.

Replacement Aspect: The portion of time that an item will call for substitute.

Jogger: A long slim rug designed to enter a hallway or foyer.

Range: The amount of the products and services to be given as a job.

Solution Entry: A 2nd, informal entrance to the residence, used for bringing in groceries and products. It's typically close to the cooking area, garage or carport.

Settee: A long wood or upholstered bench with a back, designed to seat two or more individuals.

Slipcover: A detachable fabric cover for a chair, couch or seat.

Soffit: A reduced section of a ceiling.

Sub-Flooring: The flooring applied straight to the flooring joist on top of which the completed flooring rests.

Task Lighting: An illumination resource directed to a particular objective within a room. Reviewing lights in a living-room or under-counter illumination in a kitchen are examples of task illumination.

Color: Any kind of color combined with white (i.e. all light shades are colors).

Tone: Any kind of color combined with gray (most warm-looking shades are tones).

Torchere: A flooring lamp that guides light up to provide ambient space illumination.

Tufting: The upholstery process of snugly gathering fabric over a padded base and protecting the gathered section to a fixed support using stitching or switches. This process produces tiny quilts of fabric, called "tufts".

Universal Design: The design of items and settings to be useable by all individuals to the greatest degree feasible.

Valance: A decorative home window treatment mounted throughout the top of a home window (outside the case). They are generally integrated with blinds, drape panels, or sheers.

Vanity: Bathroom cabinet with the lavatory on the kind.

Veneer: A thin layer of timber developed by peeling off the trunk of a tree on a roller to produce lengthy sheets with a regular grain pattern. This layer is after that related to a solid or fiberboard support to create a much more consistent appearance.

Vintage: Furniture and attractive elements that are in between 10 and 100 years of ages. Elements are typically found at flea markets, yard sale and specialty "vintage" stores.

Wainscoting: Paneling on the lower fifty percent of a wall surface that differs from the top fifty percent. A chair rail generally divides it.

Work Aisle: Area required to work at the cooking area job centers.