Interior Design Reference

Decorating a house is no easy task and when your interior decorator is throwing around terms like ballast, chair rail and gate-leg table, it can come to be quite complex. That is why I am below to offer our glossary of interior design.

All the terms below might or might not be used when reviewing your interior design plans with an expert or producer. By knowing, or merely maintaining document of all the terms below, you can negotiate and design with the most effective of them.

Did we miss out on a term? Include your own in the comments area below.

Ambient: The environmental conditions in the space.

Ambient Lighting: General lighting diffused within a whole space.

Accessories: Little objects such as flower holders, books, lights, plants, florals and sculptures used to personalize a space.

Ballast: A device that regulates the existing in a fluorescent light.

Base Cabinets: Cabinets used on the floor to supply kitchen counter assistance and is commonly 34 1/2 inches high and 24 inches deep.

Beveled Glass: Clear or mirrored glass in which the side perimeter (generally 1" large) has been reduced at an angle to accomplish a different visual result. On clear glass, it creates an altered prism result, and on mirrored glass, it includes a reflective "sparkle".

Boilerplate: The typical terms and conditions on a purchase order or other record.

Boost: A long cushion or cushion generally placed on a chair, couch or bed.

Case-Goods: Furnishings made from hard products such as wood, metal, glass or plastic. Examples of case-goods are breasts, tables, dressers, shelfs and cupboards.

Chair Rail: A piece of attractive molding placed about 30" off the floor to safeguard wall surfaces from being scraped by chair backs.

Chaise Longue or Lounge: A long, reduced upholstered couch in the form of a chair that is long sufficient to support the legs.

Classic Crown Molding: Sort Of crown molding generally used to combination with extra moldings. Classic crown is bigger and has more attractive accounts.

Claw Foot Bathtub: A bathtub placed off of the floor on four legs. The base of each leg is shaped like a claw foot.

Clear Flooring Area: A location that is without blockage. The term is commonly used in kitchen areas of the referrals for clearances at a home appliances or work facility.

Shade Rendition: An index of exactly how light makes objects appear.

Console Sink: A sink container sustained by legs, which can be metal or wooden.

Console Table: A long narrow table used for presenting attractive objects, lighting, florals, and so on. It's frequently placed in an entrance hall or behind a couch.

Contemporary: The design intrinsic to today time. Usually perplexed with "modern.".

Contrast: The difference in illumination between surfaces in the field of view.

Credenza: A huge reduced cupboard, generally 30" -36" high with a level top used for offering and storage space.

Eco-Friendly: Having little or no influence on the native ecosystem.

Egress: A path or opening up for exiting a space or building.

Faux-Finish: An ornamental technique in which paint or discolor is related to a surface to imitate an additional material such as wood, marble or granite.

Feng Shui: Actually converted as wind and water. An old Chinese scientific practice based on selecting the optimum placement, arrangement and selection of objects and surfaces to motivate positive energy or chi.

Fluorescent Lighting: A type of lighting in which an electric cost is gone through mercury vapor to produce a chemical reaction that generates light. It utilizes far much less energy and creates much less heat than incandescent or halogen lighting, but the light high quality and color rendering abilities are reduced.

Prime focus: An aesthetic facility of passion or point of focus in a space.

Gate-Leg Table: A design of drop-leaf table with fallen leaves that are sustained by extra legs that turn out like gateways.

Eco-friendly Design: A style, additionally described as a lasting layout or eco-design, which adapts ecologically seem concepts of building, material and energy use.

Halogen Lighting: A type of lighting in which a tungsten filament is secured right into a small transparent vessel and filled with a small amount of iodine or bromine to produce a chemical reaction that generates light. The light from a halogen light bulb is better at presenting shades than conventional incandescent or fluorescent light bulbs.

Incandescent Lighting: A type of lighting in which an electric current is gone through a slim filament, heating it to a temperature that generates light. The enclosing glass light bulb consists of either a vacuum cleaner or an inert gas to stop oxidation of the filament. Incandescent light bulbs are affordable and produce excellent natural light and color makings, but utilize more energy and create more heat than fluorescent light bulbs.

Knock-Down: Furnishings that is marketed unassembled or partly put together.

Lazy Susan: A corner cupboard in which the racks are placed on an upright axle such that things might be obtained by pushing on the racks. This kind is generally found in kitchen areas. When pushed on the cupboard, "doors" disclose the racks, which are circular with the exception of the ninety-degree intermediary where the doors are placed.

Lumbar Pillow: A tiny rectangle-shaped cushion designed to support the reduced back. You see these with armchairs and couches.

Mid-Century Modern: An ornamental design very first promoted in the late 1940s identified by tidy lines, making use of modern products such as plastic and light weight aluminum, and a streamlined marginal profile.

Single: A color pattern developed around one tone, with numerous of its tones and colors.

Mullion: The wood or metal dividers used between the different panes of glass on multi-paned windows. Modern windows frequently include artificial attractive mullions.

Footrest: An upholstered stool or hassock, designed to address the foot of a chair.

Necklace: A lighting fixture hung from the ceiling containing one or more lights.

Peninsula: A location of cupboards or counter fastened to the cooking area that can be accessed via one to three sides.

Image Plane: The plane on which the picture is watched.

Image Rail: A straight trim item installed high up on a wall surface as a way of hanging photos without puncturing the wall with nails.

Pocket Door: A door that moves horizontally on a track and is commonly relocated inside a wall surface for storage space.

Primaries: The three fundamental shades of which all other shades are included: red, yellow and blue.

R&R: Eliminate and Replace. It's a term defining a straightforward improvement project that entails removing and replacing cabinetry, components and devices without structural or mechanical modifications.

Reclaim: To utilize a product once more after its preliminary use.

Substitute Element: The portion of time that a product will require replacement.

Runner: A long narrow rug designed to go in a hallway or entrance hall.

Range: The sum of the products and services to be supplied as a task.

Solution Entrance: A second, casual entrance to the residence, used for bringing in grocery stores and products. It's frequently near to the cooking area, garage or carport.

Settee: A long wooden or upholstered bench with a back, designed to seat two or more people.

Slipcover: A detachable material cover for a chair, couch or seat.

Soffit: A lowered part of a ceiling.

Sub-Flooring: The floor covering applied straight to the floor joist in addition to which the finished floor rests.

Task Lighting: A lighting source routed to a certain purpose within a space. Checking out lights in a living room or under-counter lighting in a kitchen area are instances of task lighting.

Tint: Any color combined with white (i.e. all light shades are colors).

Tone: Any color combined with grey (most warm-looking shades are tones).

Torchere: A floor light that routes light up to supply ambient space lighting.

Tufting: The furniture process of firmly collecting material over a cushioned base and securing the gathered part to a dealt with backing utilizing stitching or buttons. This process creates tiny quilts of material, known as "tufts".

Universal Design: The layout of items and settings to be able to be used by all people to the greatest degree possible.

Valance: An ornamental window therapy placed throughout the top of a window (outside the case). They are generally incorporated with blinds, curtain panels, or sheers.

Vanity: Washroom cupboard with the lavatory on the kind.

Veneer: A slim layer of wood developed by peeling the trunk of a tree on a roller to generate lengthy sheets with a consistent grain pattern. This layer is then related to a strong or fiber board backing to produce a more consistent appearance.

Vintage: Furnishings and attractive elements that are between 10 and 100 years of ages. Components are frequently found at flea markets, yard sale and specialized "vintage" stores.

Wainscoting: Paneling on the reduced fifty percent of a wall surface that varies from the top fifty percent. A chair rail generally divides it.

Work Aisle: Area needed to operate at the cooking area work centers.