Interior Design Glossary

Decorating a home is no very easy task and when your interior decorator is throwing around terms like ballast, chair rail and gate-leg table, it can become fairly complicated. That is why I am here to provide our reference of interior design.

All the terms below may or may not be made use of when reviewing your interior design strategies with a specialist or producer. By understanding, or simply keeping document of all the terms below, you can work out and develop with the very best of them.

Did we miss a term? Include your very own in the remarks area below.

Ambient: The ecological problems in the area.

Ambient Lighting: General lighting diffused within a whole area.

Accessories: Little things such as flower holders, books, lamps, plants, florals and sculptures made use of to individualize a room.

Ballast: A tool that manages the current in a fluorescent light.

Base Cabinets: Cabinetry made use of on the flooring to provide kitchen counter support and is commonly 34 1/2 inches high and 24 inches deep.

Beveled Glass: Clear or mirrored glass in which the side boundary (generally 1" vast) has actually been cut at an angle to achieve a contrasting visual effect. On clear glass, it creates an altered prism effect, and on mirrored glass, it adds a reflective "shimmer".

Boilerplate: The common terms and conditions on an order or various other file.

Reinforce: A long pillow or cushion generally placed on a chair, sofa or bed.

Case-Goods: Furnishings made from tough products such as wood, metal, glass or plastic. Instances of case-goods are upper bodies, tables, cabinets, bookshelves and cabinets.

Chair Rail: An item of ornamental molding put around 30" off the flooring to secure walls from being scraped by chair backs.

Chaise Longue or Lounge: A long, low upholstered sofa in the shape of a chair that is long enough to sustain the legs.

Traditional Crown Molding: Type of crown molding generally made use of to combination with added moldings. Traditional crown is bigger and has more ornamental accounts.

Claw Foot Tub: A bathtub placed off of the flooring on 4 legs. The base of each leg is formed like a claw foot.

Clear Floor Space: An area that is free of obstruction. The term is commonly made use of in kitchens of the referrals for clearances at a home appliances or job center.

Shade Rendition: An index of exactly how light makes things show up.

Console Sink: A sink container sustained by legs, which can be metal or wooden.

Console Table: A long slim table made use of for showing ornamental things, lights, florals, etc. It's frequently put in an entrance hall or behind a sofa.

Contemporary: The style intrinsic to the present time. Often confused with "contemporary.".

Contrast: The distinction in illumination in between surface areas in the field of view.

Credenza: A huge low closet, generally 30" -36" high with a flat top made use of for offering and storage.

Eco-Friendly: Having little or no effect on the indigenous ecosystem.

Egress: A path or opening for leaving a room or building.

Faux-Finish: A decorative method in which paint or discolor is related to a surface area to replicate another material such as wood, marble or granite.

Feng Shui: Literally equated as wind and water. An old Chinese clinical technique based on choosing the optimal placement, arrangement and choice of things and surface areas to encourage positive power or chi.

Fluorescent Lighting: A sort of lights in which an electrical cost is travelled through mercury vapor to produce a chemical reaction that generates light. It utilizes far much less power and creates much less heat than incandescent or halogen lights, however the light quality and shade making capacities are reduced.

Prime focus: An aesthetic center of passion or point of focus in a room.

Gate-Leg Table: A style of drop-leaf table with fallen leaves that are sustained by additional legs that swing out like entrances.

Green Design: A style, also referred to as a sustainable style or eco-design, which conforms to eco appear concepts of building, material and power usage.

Halogen Lighting: A sort of lights in which a tungsten filament is secured right into a compact clear vessel and loaded with a small amount of iodine or bromine to produce a chemical reaction that generates light. The light from a halogen light bulb is much better at showing shades than conventional incandescent or fluorescent light bulbs.

Incandescent Lighting: A sort of lights in which an electric current is travelled through a slim filament, heating it to a temperature level that generates light. The enclosing glass light bulb includes either a vacuum cleaner or an inert gas to prevent oxidation of the filament. Incandescent light bulbs are inexpensive and produce great all-natural light and shade renderings, however use even more power and produce even more heat than fluorescent light bulbs.

Knock-Down: Furnishings that is offered unassembled or partly set up.

Careless Susan: A corner closet in which the racks are placed on an upright axle such that things may be fetched by pushing on the racks. This type is generally found in kitchens. When pushed on the closet, "doors" expose the racks, which are circular besides the ninety-degree cutout where the doors are placed.

Lumbar Pillow: A little rectangular pillow created to sustain the lower back. You see these with armchairs and sofas.

Mid-Century Modern: A decorative style very first popularized in the late 1940s characterized by clean lines, making use of contemporary products such as plastic and aluminum, and a sleek marginal profile.

Single: A color pattern built around one hue, with several of its tones and colors.

Mullion: The wood or metal dividers made use of in between the various panes of glass on multi-paned windows. Modern windows frequently feature synthetic ornamental mullions.

Footrest: An upholstered feces or hassock, created to address the foot of a chair.

Necklace: A lights component hung from the ceiling containing one or more lamps.

Peninsula: An area of cabinets or counter attached to the cooking area that can be accessed through one to three sides.

Picture Aircraft: The airplane on which the picture is viewed.

Picture Rail: A straight trim item mounted high up on a wall as a way of hanging pictures without piercing the wall with nails.

Pocket Door: A door that glides flat on a track and is commonly moved inside a wall for storage.

Primary Colors: The three standard shades of which all various other shades are consisted of: red, yellow and blue.

R&R: Remove and Change. It's a term defining an easy makeover job that includes removing and changing cabinetry, components and devices without structural or mechanical modifications.

Recover: To use a product once more after its initial usage.

Replacement Factor: The percentage of time that a product will call for substitute.

Jogger: A long slim area rug created to enter a hallway or foyer.

Scope: The amount of the product or services to be given as a project.

Solution Entrance: A second, informal entry to the house, made use of for generating groceries and products. It's frequently close to the cooking area, garage or carport.

Settee: A long wooden or upholstered bench with a back, created to seat 2 or even more individuals.

Slipcover: A detachable textile cover for a chair, sofa or loveseat.

Soffit: A decreased section of a ceiling.

Sub-Flooring: The flooring used straight to the flooring joist in addition to which the ended up flooring relaxes.

Job Lighting: A lights source directed to a specific purpose within a room. Checking out lights in a living room or under-counter lights in a kitchen are instances of task lights.

Color: Any type of shade mixed with white (i.e. all light shades are colors).

Tone: Any type of shade mixed with gray (most warm-looking shades are tones).

Torchere: A flooring light that routes light up to provide ambient area lights.

Tufting: The upholstery process of snugly collecting textile over a padded base and safeguarding the collected section to a repaired backing utilizing stitching or buttons. This process creates little patchworks of textile, called "tufts".

Universal Design: The style of products and atmospheres to be useable by all individuals to the greatest level possible.

Frame: A decorative window treatment placed throughout the top of a home window (outside the casing). They are generally combined with blinds, curtain panels, or sheers.

Vanity: Shower room closet with the lavatory on the type.

Veneer: A slim layer of wood produced by peeling off the trunk of a tree on a roller to create long sheets with a constant grain pattern. This layer is after that related to a strong or fiber board backing to produce a much more consistent appearance.

Vintage: Furnishings and ornamental aspects that are in between 10 and 100 years of ages. Aspects are frequently found at flea markets, yard sales and specialized "vintage" retailers.

Wainscoting: Paneling on the lower fifty percent of a wall that differs from the top fifty percent. A chair rail generally divides it.

Job Aisle: Space required to operate at the cooking area job facilities.