Interior Design Reference

Enhancing a residence is no easy task and when your interior decorator is throwing around terms like ballast, chair rail and gate-leg table, it can come to be quite confusing. That is why I am right here to provide our glossary of interior design.

All the terms below might or might not be made use of when reviewing your interior design plans with a professional or manufacturer. By recognizing, or simply keeping document of all the terms below, you can negotiate and develop with the best of them.

Did we miss out on a term? Add your very own in the comments area below.

Ambient: The environmental problems in the room.

Ambient Illumination: General lighting diffused within an entire room.

Accessories: Little objects such as flower holders, books, lights, plants, florals and sculptures made use of to personalize a room.

Ballast: A tool that regulates the present in a fluorescent light.

Base Cabinets: Kitchen cabinetry made use of on the flooring to supply countertop support and is normally 34 1/2 inches tall and 24 inches deep.

Beveled Glass: Clear or mirrored glass in which the side border (generally 1" large) has actually been cut at an angle to achieve a different visual result. On clear glass, it develops a distorted prism result, and on mirrored glass, it adds a reflective "shimmer".

Boilerplate: The common terms and conditions on an order or other file.

Reinforce: A long cushion or cushion generally placed on a chair, couch or bed.

Case-Goods: Furniture constructed from tough materials such as wood, steel, glass or plastic. Instances of case-goods are chests, tables, dressers, shelfs and closets.

Chair Rail: An item of ornamental molding put approximately 30" off the flooring to protect wall surfaces from being scraped by chair backs.

Chaise Longue or Lounge: A long, reduced upholstered sofa in the form of a chair that is long enough to support the legs.

Timeless Crown Molding: Kind Of crown molding generally made use of to combination with additional moldings. Timeless crown is larger and has much more ornamental profiles.

Claw Foot Bathtub: A tub mounted off of the flooring on four legs. The base of each leg is shaped like a claw foot.

Clear Floor Room: An area that is free of obstruction. The term is normally made use of in cooking areas of the suggestions for clearances at a home appliances or job center.

Color Performance: An index of how light makes objects show up.

Console Sink: A sink basin supported by legs, which can be steel or wood.

Console Table: A long slim table made use of for showing ornamental objects, lighting, florals, etc. It's frequently put in a foyer or behind a sofa.

Contemporary: The design integral to the here and now time. Typically perplexed with "modern.".

Contrast: The difference in brightness in between surfaces in the field of view.

Credenza: A big reduced cupboard, generally 30" -36" high with a flat top made use of for offering and storage.

Eco-Friendly: Having little or no influence on the native ecological community.

Egress: A path or opening up for leaving a room or building.

Faux-Finish: An ornamental technique in which paint or tarnish is applied to a surface to simulate one more material such as wood, marble or granite.

Feng Shui: Essentially translated as wind and water. An ancient Chinese clinical method based upon picking the optimum placement, arrangement and selection of objects and surfaces to urge positive energy or chi.

Fluorescent Illumination: A type of lighting in which an electric charge is travelled through mercury vapor to create a chemical reaction that generates light. It utilizes much less energy and develops less warm than incandescent or halogen lighting, but the light top quality and color rendering capacities are decreased.

Centerpiece: An aesthetic center of interest or point of emphasis in a room.

Gate-Leg Table: A style of drop-leaf table with leaves that are supported by added legs that turn out like gateways.

Environment-friendly Design: A design, likewise described as a sustainable layout or eco-design, which complies with environmentally seem concepts of building, material and energy use.

Halogen Illumination: A type of lighting in which a tungsten filament is secured into a portable transparent vessel and full of a small amount of iodine or bromine to create a chemical reaction that generates light. The light from a halogen light bulb is much better at showing colors than standard incandescent or fluorescent bulbs.

Incandescent Illumination: A type of lighting in which an electric current is travelled through a thin filament, heating it to a temperature level that generates light. The enclosing glass light bulb contains either a vacuum or an inert gas to avoid oxidation of the filament. Incandescent bulbs are economical and create excellent natural light and color makings, but make use of more energy and produce more warm than fluorescent bulbs.

Knock-Down: Furniture that is sold unassembled or partially assembled.

Lazy Susan: An edge cupboard in which the racks are mounted on a vertical axle such that products might be gotten by pushing on the racks. This type is generally located in cooking areas. When pushed on the cupboard, "doors" disclose the racks, which are round besides the ninety-degree cutout where the doors are mounted.

Lumbar Cushion: A small rectangular cushion designed to support the lower back. You see these with armchairs and sofas.

Mid-Century Modern: An ornamental design initial promoted in the late 1940s identified by tidy lines, the use of modern materials such as plastic and aluminum, and a sleek very little profile.

Single: A color scheme developed around one shade, with numerous of its shades and colors.

Mullion: The wood or steel divider panels made use of in between the different panes of glass on multi-paned home windows. Modern home windows frequently include fake ornamental mullions.

Ottoman: An upholstered feces or hassock, designed to go at the foot of a chair.

Necklace: A lighting fixture hung from the ceiling consisting of several lights.

Peninsula: An area of closets or counter attached to the kitchen that can be accessed by means of one to 3 sides.

Image Airplane: The airplane on which the picture is checked out.

Image Rail: A straight trim item mounted high up on a wall as a means of hanging photos without penetrating the wall with nails.

Pocket Door: A door that moves horizontally on a track and is normally moved inside a wall for storage.

Primary Colors: The 3 basic colors of which all other colors are consisted of: red, yellow and blue.

R&R: Eliminate and Change. It's a term defining a simple makeover project that involves getting rid of and replacing kitchen cabinetry, fixtures and devices without structural or mechanical adjustments.

Redeem: To make use of an item again after its first use.

Substitute Variable: The percentage of time that an item will need substitute.

Runner: A long slim rug designed to enter a hallway or foyer.

Range: The sum of the services and products to be provided as a project.

Service Access: A second, informal entry to the house, made use of for generating grocery stores and products. It's frequently near the kitchen, garage or carport.

Sofa: A long wood or upholstered bench with a back, designed to seat two or more people.

Slipcover: A removable textile cover for a chair, couch or seat.

Soffit: A decreased part of a ceiling.

Sub-Flooring: The floor covering used straight to the flooring joist in addition to which the finished flooring relaxes.

Job Illumination: A lighting source guided to a specific purpose within a room. Reading lights in a living-room or under-counter lighting in a kitchen are examples of task lighting.

Tint: Any kind of color combined with white (i.e. all pastel colors are colors).

Tone: Any kind of color combined with gray (most warm-looking colors are tones).

Torchere: A flooring light that guides light upwards to supply ambient room lighting.

Tufting: The furniture process of securely collecting textile over a cushioned base and safeguarding the collected part to a dealt with backing making use of stitching or buttons. This process develops small quilts of textile, known as "tufts".

Universal Design: The layout of items and atmospheres to be useable by all people to the greatest extent feasible.

Valance: An ornamental home window therapy mounted throughout the top of a home window (outside the housing). They are generally combined with blinds, drape panels, or sheers.

Vanity: Restroom cupboard with the bathroom on the type.

Veneer: A thin layer of wood developed by peeling the trunk of a tree on a roller to produce lengthy sheets with a constant grain pattern. This layer is after that applied to a strong or fiber board backing to create a much more consistent look.

Vintage: Furniture and ornamental elements that are in between 10 and 100 years old. Elements are frequently located at flea markets, garage sales and specialty "vintage" sellers.

Wainscoting: Paneling on the lower fifty percent of a wall that differs from the upper fifty percent. A chair rail generally divides it.

Job Aisle: Room required to operate at the kitchen job facilities.