Interior Decoration Glossary

Decorating a house is no simple task and when your interior decorator is spraying terms like ballast, chair rail and gate-leg table, it can end up being fairly confusing. That is why I am here to offer our reference of interior decoration.

All the terms listed below may or may not be used when reviewing your interior decoration plans with a professional or manufacturer. By recognizing, or simply maintaining record of all the terms listed below, you can negotiate and design with the most effective of them.

Did we miss a term? Include your very own in the remarks area listed below.

Ambient: The ecological conditions in the space.

Ambient Lighting: General lighting diffused within an entire space.

Devices: Small objects such as vases, books, lamps, plants, florals and sculptures used to individualize a space.

Ballast: A gadget that regulates the present in a fluorescent light.

Base Cabinets: Kitchen cabinetry used on the floor to give kitchen counter support and is normally 34 1/2 inches high and 24 inches deep.

Beveled Glass: Clear or mirrored glass in which the edge perimeter (typically 1" vast) has actually been reduced at an angle to attain a different visual effect. On clear glass, it creates an altered prism effect, and on mirrored glass, it includes a reflective "shimmer".

Boilerplate: The conventional terms and conditions on an order or other file.

Strengthen: A long pillow or pillow typically placed on a chair, sofa or bed.

Case-Goods: Furnishings made of hard materials such as wood, metal, glass or plastic. Examples of case-goods are breasts, tables, dressers, shelfs and cupboards.

Chair Rail: An item of ornamental molding positioned roughly 30" off the floor to secure wall surfaces from being scraped by chair backs.

Chaise Longue or Lounge: A long, reduced upholstered sofa in the shape of a chair that is long enough to sustain the legs.

Traditional Crown Molding: Type of crown molding typically used to conjunction with additional moldings. Traditional crown is larger and has a lot more ornamental profiles.

Claw Foot Bathtub: A bathtub mounted off of the floor on 4 legs. The base of each leg is formed like a claw foot.

Clear Floor Space: An area that is free of obstruction. The term is normally used in cooking areas in reference to the recommendations for clearances at an appliances or job facility.

Color Performance: An index of exactly how light makes objects show up.

Console Sink: A sink basin supported by legs, which can be metal or wood.

Console Table: A long slim table used for showing ornamental objects, lighting, florals, etc. It's typically positioned in an entrance hall or behind a couch.

Contemporary: The style integral to the present time. Frequently perplexed with "contemporary.".

Contrast: The distinction in illumination between surface areas in the field of view.

Credenza: A big reduced cabinet, typically 30" -36" high with a flat top used for offering and storage.

Eco-Friendly: Having little or no impact on the indigenous environment.

Egress: A course or opening for leaving a space or structure.

Faux-Finish: A decorative strategy in which paint or discolor is related to a surface area to simulate another product such as wood, marble or granite.

Feng Shui: Literally converted as wind and water. An ancient Chinese scientific method based upon selecting the optimum placement, arrangement and selection of objects and surface areas to encourage positive power or chi.

Fluorescent Lighting: A sort of lighting in which an electrical fee is travelled through mercury vapor to produce a chain reaction that creates light. It utilizes far much less power and creates much less warmth than incandescent or halogen lighting, yet the light quality and color making capabilities are diminished.

Prime focus: An aesthetic facility of passion or point of focus in a space.

Gate-Leg Table: A style of drop-leaf table with leaves that are supported by extra legs that turn out like gateways.

Green Layout: A layout, also described as a sustainable design or eco-design, which conforms to environmentally sound concepts of structure, product and power use.

Halogen Lighting: A sort of lighting in which a tungsten filament is secured right into a small transparent vessel and loaded with a small amount of iodine or bromine to produce a chain reaction that creates light. The light from a halogen bulb is better at showing shades than standard incandescent or fluorescent bulbs.

Incandescent Lighting: A sort of lighting in which an electrical current is travelled through a slim filament, heating it to a temperature level that creates light. The confining glass bulb has either a vacuum or an inert gas to stop oxidation of the filament. Incandescent bulbs are economical and produce excellent natural light and color makings, yet make use of even more power and create even more warmth than fluorescent bulbs.

Knock-Down: Furnishings that is marketed unassembled or partly assembled.

Lazy Susan: A corner cabinet in which the shelves are mounted on an upright axle such that items may be gotten by pushing on the shelves. This type is typically located in cooking areas. When pushed on the cabinet, "doors" disclose the shelves, which are round except for the ninety-degree cutout where the doors are mounted.

Lumbar Pillow: A tiny rectangle-shaped pillow developed to sustain the reduced back. You see these with elbow chairs and couches.

Mid-Century Modern: A decorative style initial popularized in the late 1940s characterized by tidy lines, using contemporary materials such as plastic and aluminum, and a sleek marginal profile.

Monochromatic: A color pattern constructed around one color, with numerous of its shades and colors.

Mullion: The wood or metal divider panels used between the various panes of glass on multi-paned home windows. Modern home windows typically include faux ornamental mullions.

Ottoman: An upholstered feces or hassock, developed to address the foot of a chair.

Pendant: A lighting fixture hung from the ceiling having one or more lamps.

Peninsula: An area of cupboards or counter secured to the kitchen that can be accessed using one to 3 sides.

Picture Plane: The airplane on which the picture is checked out.

Picture Rail: A horizontal trim piece mounted high up on a wall as a means of hanging images without piercing the wall with nails.

Pocket Door: A door that glides horizontally on a track and is normally relocated inside a wall for storage.

Primaries: The 3 standard shades of which all other shades are comprised of: red, yellow and blue.

R&R: Get Rid Of and Replace. It's a term defining a simple makeover job that entails getting rid of and replacing cabinetry, fixtures and home appliances without structural or mechanical modifications.

Reclaim: To make use of a product once again after its preliminary use.

Substitute Aspect: The percentage of time that a product will need substitute.

Runner: A long slim area rug developed to go in a corridor or foyer.

Range: The amount of the product or services to be provided as a task.

Solution Entry: A 2nd, casual entrance to the home, used for generating grocery stores and supplies. It's typically close to the kitchen, garage or carport.

Sofa: A long wood or upholstered bench with a back, developed to seat 2 or even more individuals.

Slipcover: A removable fabric cover for a chair, sofa or seat.

Soffit: A decreased section of a ceiling.

Sub-Flooring: The floor covering used straight to the floor joist on top of which the finished floor relaxes.

Task Lighting: A lighting resource routed to a specific objective within a space. Reviewing lights in a living-room or under-counter lighting in a kitchen are instances of task lighting.

Tint: Any type of color combined with white (i.e. all light shades are colors).

Tone: Any type of color combined with grey (most warm-looking shades are tones).

Torchere: A flooring light that directs light upwards to give ambient space lighting.

Tufting: The upholstery process of firmly gathering fabric over a cushioned base and safeguarding the collected section to a repaired backing utilizing stitching or switches. This process creates tiny patchworks of fabric, referred to as "tufts".

Universal Layout: The design of products and atmospheres to be able to be used by all individuals to the greatest level feasible.

Valance: A decorative home window therapy mounted throughout the top of a home window (outside the housing). They are typically combined with blinds, drape panels, or sheers.

Vanity: Shower room cabinet with the bathroom on the type.

Veneer: A thin layer of wood created by peeling the trunk of a tree on a roller to create lengthy sheets with a regular grain pattern. This layer is after that related to a strong or fiberboard backing to produce a much more uniform appearance.

Vintage: Furnishings and ornamental components that are between 10 and 100 years old. Components are typically located at flea markets, garage sales and specialized "vintage" retailers.

Wainscoting: Paneling on the reduced fifty percent of a wall that varies from the top fifty percent. A chair rail typically divides it.

Work Aisle: Space required to work at the kitchen job facilities.