Interior Decoration Glossary

Embellishing a house is no easy task and also when your interior decorator is throwing around terms like ballast, chair rail and also gate-leg table, it can end up being quite complex. That is why I am right here to present our reference of interior design.

All the terms below might or might not be used when discussing your interior design plans with an expert or manufacturer. By understanding, or merely keeping document of all the terms below, you can negotiate and also create with the best of them.

Did we miss a term? Include your own in the remarks area below.

Ambient: The environmental problems in the area.

Ambient Lighting: General lighting diffused within an entire area.

Devices: Little items such as flower holders, publications, lamps, plants, florals and also sculptures used to customize an area.

Ballast: A tool that controls the current in a fluorescent lamp.

Base Cabinets: Kitchen cabinetry used on the floor to supply counter top support and also is generally 34 1/2 inches high and also 24 inches deep.

Beveled Glass: Clear or mirrored glass in which the edge boundary (typically 1" large) has actually been reduced at an angle to attain a contrasting visual effect. On clear glass, it creates an altered prism effect, and also on mirrored glass, it adds a reflective "glimmer".

Boilerplate: The conventional terms and conditions on a purchase order or other document.

Reinforce: A lengthy cushion or cushion typically put on a chair, sofa or bed.

Case-Goods: Furniture made from difficult materials such as timber, metal, glass or plastic. Instances of case-goods are breasts, tables, dressers, bookshelves and also cabinets.

Chair Rail: A piece of attractive molding placed roughly 30" off the floor to shield wall surfaces from being scraped by chair backs.

Chaise Longue or Lounge: A long, low upholstered couch in the shape of a chair that is long sufficient to support the legs.

Traditional Crown Molding: Kind Of crown molding typically used to combination with added moldings. Traditional crown is larger and also has a lot more attractive profiles.

Claw Foot Bathtub: A bathtub installed off of the floor on four legs. The base of each leg is shaped like a claw foot.

Clear Flooring Space: An area that is devoid of blockage. The term is generally used in kitchen areas of the suggestions for clearances at an appliances or work center.

Shade Performance: An index of just how light makes items show up.

Console Sink: A sink basin supported by legs, which can be metal or wood.

Console Table: A lengthy slim table used for displaying attractive items, lighting, florals, and so on. It's frequently placed in a foyer or behind a couch.

Contemporary: The design inherent to today time. Typically confused with "modern-day.".

Contrast: The distinction in illumination between surfaces in the field of view.

Credenza: A large low closet, typically 30" -36" high with a flat top used for serving and also storage space.

Eco-Friendly: Having little or no effect on the native environment.

Egress: A path or opening for leaving an area or structure.

Faux-Finish: A decorative strategy in which paint or discolor is applied to a surface area to mimic another material such as timber, marble or granite.

Feng Shui: Literally converted as wind and also water. An ancient Chinese clinical method based on selecting the ideal positioning, arrangement and also choice of items and also surfaces to encourage favorable energy or chi.

Fluorescent Lighting: A type of lighting in which an electric fee is gone through mercury vapor to produce a chain reaction that creates light. It makes use of much much less energy and also creates much less heat than incandescent or halogen lighting, however the light high quality and also shade making capacities are reduced.

Prime focus: A visual center of rate of interest or factor of emphasis in an area.

Gate-Leg Table: A design of drop-leaf table with leaves that are supported by extra legs that turn out like gates.

Green Style: A design, likewise described as a lasting style or eco-design, which satisfies ecologically seem principles of structure, material and also energy use.

Halogen Lighting: A type of lighting in which a tungsten filament is secured right into a small transparent vessel and also full of a small amount of iodine or bromine to produce a chain reaction that creates light. The light from a halogen light bulb is better at displaying shades than standard incandescent or fluorescent bulbs.

Incandescent Lighting: A type of lighting in which an electrical current is gone through a thin filament, warming it to a temperature level that creates light. The confining glass light bulb contains either a vacuum cleaner or an inert gas to avoid oxidation of the filament. Incandescent bulbs are economical and also produce great all-natural light and also shade makings, however utilize more energy and also generate more heat than fluorescent bulbs.

Knock-Down: Furniture that is sold unassembled or partly assembled.

Lazy Susan: A corner closet in which the racks are installed on a vertical axle such that things might be gotten by pushing on the racks. This kind is typically located in kitchen areas. When pushed on the closet, "doors" reveal the racks, which are round with the exception of the ninety-degree intermediary where the doors are installed.

Lumbar Pillow: A little rectangular cushion made to support the lower back. You see these with elbow chairs and also couches.

Mid-Century Modern: A decorative design first popularized in the late 1940s characterized by tidy lines, the use of modern-day materials such as plastic and also light weight aluminum, and also a sleek minimal account.

Single: A color scheme built around one hue, with several of its tones and also tints.

Mullion: The timber or metal dividers used between the different panes of glass on multi-paned home windows. Modern home windows frequently include faux attractive mullions.

Footrest: An upholstered feces or hassock, made to address the foot of a chair.

Necklace: A lighting component hung from the ceiling having several lamps.

Peninsula: An area of cabinets or counter secured to the cooking area that can be accessed through one to three sides.

Photo Plane: The airplane on which the picture is watched.

Photo Rail: A straight trim item set up high up on a wall as a means of hanging pictures without penetrating the wall surface with nails.

Pocket Door: A door that moves horizontally on a track and also is generally relocated inside a wall for storage space.

Primaries: The three basic shades of which all other shades are consisted of: red, yellow and also blue.

R&R: Get Rid Of and also Replace. It's a term defining a basic renovation job that entails getting rid of and also replacing kitchen cabinetry, components and also home appliances without architectural or mechanical changes.

Recover: To utilize an item once more after its first use.

Substitute Aspect: The percent of time that a product will certainly require substitute.

Runner: A lengthy slim area rug made to enter a hallway or foyer.

Extent: The sum of the product or services to be given as a task.

Solution Access: A second, informal entry to the house, used for generating grocery stores and also products. It's frequently close to the cooking area, garage or carport.

Settee: A lengthy wood or upholstered bench with a back, made to seat two or more individuals.

Slipcover: A removable material cover for a chair, sofa or seat.

Soffit: A decreased portion of a ceiling.

Sub-Flooring: The floor covering used directly to the floor joist on top of which the ended up floor relaxes.

Task Lighting: A lighting source guided to a particular purpose within an area. Reviewing lights in a living-room or under-counter lighting in a kitchen are examples of task lighting.

Tint: Any kind of shade mixed with white (i.e. all pastel shades are tints).

Tone: Any kind of shade mixed with grey (most warm-looking shades are tones).

Torchere: A flooring lamp that guides light upward to supply ambient area lighting.

Tufting: The furniture process of tightly collecting material over a cushioned base and also protecting the collected portion to a repaired support making use of sewing or buttons. This process creates little quilts of material, known as "tufts".

Universal Style: The style of items and also environments to be able to be used by all individuals to the best degree feasible.

Valance: A decorative home window treatment installed across the top of a window (outside the housing). They are typically incorporated with blinds, drape panels, or sheers.

Vanity: Shower room closet with the lavatory on the kind.

Veneer: A slim layer of timber produced by peeling off the trunk of a tree on a roller to produce lengthy sheets with a constant grain pattern. This layer is after that applied to a solid or fiberboard support to produce a much more consistent look.

Vintage: Furniture and also attractive elements that are between 10 and also 100 years old. Elements are frequently located at flea markets, yard sales and also specialized "vintage" retailers.

Wainscoting: Paneling on the lower half of a wall that differs from the upper half. A chair rail typically separates it.

Job Aisle: Space needed to operate at the cooking area work centers.