Interior Design Glossary

Decorating a residence is no simple task and when your interior decorator is throwing around terms like ballast, chair rail and gate-leg table, it can end up being fairly complicated. That is why I am below to provide our glossary of interior design.

All the terms below may or may not be made use of when discussing your interior design strategies with an expert or producer. By recognizing, or simply keeping document of all the terms below, you can work out and develop with the very best of them.

Did we miss out on a term? Add your own in the comments area below.

Ambient: The ecological conditions in the space.

Ambient Illumination: General lighting diffused within an entire space.

Accessories: Tiny things such as flower holders, books, lamps, plants, florals and sculptures made use of to personalize an area.

Ballast: A device that controls the current in a fluorescent light.

Base Cabinets: Kitchen cabinetry made use of on the floor to provide countertop support and is usually 34 1/2 inches tall and 24 inches deep.

Beveled Glass: Clear or mirrored glass in which the side perimeter (typically 1" vast) has actually been reduced at an angle to achieve a contrasting visual impact. On clear glass, it creates a distorted prism impact, and on mirrored glass, it includes a reflective "sparkle".

Boilerplate: The common terms on an order or various other record.

Reinforce: A lengthy pillow or cushion typically put on a chair, couch or bed.

Case-Goods: Furniture constructed from hard products such as wood, metal, glass or plastic. Examples of case-goods are upper bodies, tables, cabinets, bookshelves and cabinets.

Chair Rail: A piece of decorative molding placed approximately 30" off the floor to secure walls from being scraped by chair backs.

Chaise Longue or Lounge: A long, reduced upholstered sofa in the shape of a chair that is long enough to sustain the legs.

Timeless Crown Molding: Type of crown molding typically made use of to conjunction with extra moldings. Timeless crown is bigger and has more decorative accounts.

Claw Foot Bathtub: A bathtub placed off of the floor on four legs. The base of each leg is formed like a claw foot.

Clear Flooring Area: An area that is without blockage. The term is usually made use of in kitchen areas of the suggestions for clearances at an appliances or work center.

Color Performance: An index of exactly how light makes things show up.

Console Sink: A sink container supported by legs, which can be metal or wood.

Console Table: A lengthy slim table made use of for displaying decorative things, lighting, florals, etc. It's usually placed in an entrance hall or behind a couch.

Contemporary: The design inherent to the here and now time. Typically puzzled with "modern.".

Contrast: The difference in brightness in between surface areas in the field of view.

Credenza: A huge reduced cabinet, typically 30" -36" high with a level top made use of for offering and storage space.

Eco-Friendly: Having little or no effect on the indigenous ecological community.

Egress: A path or opening for exiting an area or building.

Faux-Finish: A decorative method in which paint or stain is related to a surface to simulate one more product such as wood, marble or granite.

Feng Shui: Literally translated as wind and water. An ancient Chinese clinical technique based on choosing the optimal placement, plan and option of things and surface areas to encourage favorable power or chi.

Fluorescent Illumination: A sort of lighting in which an electric cost is passed through mercury vapor to develop a chain reaction that produces light. It uses far much less power and creates much less warm than incandescent or halogen lighting, but the light high quality and color rendering capacities are reduced.

Focal Point: An aesthetic center of rate of interest or factor of focus in an area.

Gate-Leg Table: A style of drop-leaf table with fallen leaves that are supported by additional legs that turn out like gates.

Eco-friendly Design: A style, also referred to as a lasting design or eco-design, which adapts ecologically sound concepts of building, product and power use.

Halogen Illumination: A sort of lighting in which a tungsten filament is secured into a portable transparent vessel and loaded with a small amount of iodine or bromine to develop a chain reaction that produces light. The light from a halogen light bulb is much better at displaying shades than standard incandescent or fluorescent light bulbs.

Incandescent Illumination: A sort of lighting in which an electrical current is passed through a slim filament, warming it to a temperature that produces light. The confining glass light bulb has either a vacuum cleaner or an inert gas to stop oxidation of the filament. Incandescent light bulbs are cost-effective and develop great natural light and color makings, but utilize more power and produce more warm than fluorescent light bulbs.

Knock-Down: Furniture that is marketed unassembled or partially put together.

Careless Susan: A corner cabinet in which the shelves are placed on a vertical axle such that items may be fetched by pushing on the shelves. This type is typically discovered in kitchen areas. When pushed on the cabinet, "doors" disclose the shelves, which are circular except for the ninety-degree cutout where the doors are placed.

Lumbar Cushion: A small rectangular pillow made to sustain the reduced back. You see these with armchairs and sofas.

Mid-Century Modern: A decorative design first popularized in the late 1940s defined by tidy lines, the use of modern products such as plastic and aluminum, and a streamlined very little profile.

Single: A color scheme developed around one hue, with numerous of its shades and colors.

Mullion: The wood or metal divider panels made use of in between the different panes of glass on multi-paned windows. Modern windows usually feature fake decorative mullions.

Footrest: An upholstered stool or hassock, made to address the foot of a chair.

Pendant: A lights component hung from the ceiling having several lamps.

Peninsula: An area of cabinets or counter fastened to the kitchen that can be accessed via one to three sides.

Photo Aircraft: The aircraft on which the picture is checked out.

Photo Rail: A horizontal trim piece set up high up on a wall surface as a means of hanging photos without penetrating the wall with nails.

Pocket Door: A door that moves horizontally on a track and is usually moved inside a wall surface for storage space.

Primaries: The three fundamental shades of which all various other shades are included: red, yellow and blue.

R&R: Eliminate and Change. It's a term defining a straightforward improvement task that entails removing and replacing kitchen cabinetry, fixtures and home appliances without architectural or mechanical modifications.

Reclaim: To utilize an item again after its preliminary use.

Substitute Element: The percent of time that an item will call for substitute.

Runner: A lengthy slim area rug made to go in a corridor or foyer.

Range: The amount of the product or services to be given as a project.

Solution Access: A second, informal entryway to the house, made use of for bringing in grocery stores and products. It's usually near the kitchen, garage or carport.

Settee: A lengthy wood or upholstered bench with a back, made to seat two or more individuals.

Slipcover: A removable material cover for a chair, couch or loveseat.

Soffit: A reduced section of a ceiling.

Sub-Flooring: The flooring applied straight to the floor joist in addition to which the finished floor relaxes.

Job Illumination: A lights source guided to a particular purpose within an area. Reading lights in a living room or under-counter lighting in a kitchen are examples of task lighting.

Color: Any color combined with white (i.e. all light shades are colors).

Tone: Any color combined with grey (most warm-looking shades are tones).

Torchere: A floor light that routes light upward to provide ambient space lighting.

Tufting: The furniture procedure of tightly gathering material over a padded base and safeguarding the gathered section to a fixed support using stitching or buttons. This procedure creates small quilts of material, known as "tufts".

Universal Design: The design of products and atmospheres to be useable by all individuals to the greatest degree possible.

Valance: A decorative window treatment placed across the top of a home window (outside the covering). They are typically incorporated with blinds, curtain panels, or sheers.

Vanity: Restroom cabinet with the lavatory on the type.

Veneer: A thin layer of wood developed by peeling off the trunk of a tree on a roller to generate long sheets with a consistent grain pattern. This layer is after that related to a solid or fiber board support to develop a much more uniform look.

Vintage: Furniture and decorative components that are in between 10 and 100 years old. Components are usually discovered at flea markets, garage sales and specialty "vintage" retailers.

Wainscoting: Paneling on the reduced fifty percent of a wall surface that varies from the top fifty percent. A chair rail typically separates it.

Job Aisle: Area needed to work at the kitchen work centers.