Interior Design Reference

Enhancing a residence is no simple task and when your interior decorator is spraying terms like ballast, chair rail and gate-leg table, it can become quite complicated. That is why I am here to offer our glossary of interior design.

All the terms below may or may not be used when discussing your interior design plans with a professional or supplier. By recognizing, or merely keeping document of all the terms below, you can negotiate and make with the most effective of them.

Did we miss a term? Include your own in the comments area below.

Ambient: The ecological conditions in the room.

Ambient Lights: General lighting diffused within a whole room.

Accessories: Tiny objects such as flower holders, publications, lights, plants, florals and sculptures used to customize an area.

Ballast: A tool that manages the present in a fluorescent light.

Base Cabinets: Kitchen cabinetry used on the flooring to provide countertop support and is usually 34 1/2 inches high and 24 inches deep.

Beveled Glass: Clear or mirrored glass in which the side boundary (generally 1" broad) has actually been reduced at an angle to achieve a contrasting visual impact. On clear glass, it develops an altered prism impact, and on mirrored glass, it adds a reflective "shimmer".

Boilerplate: The standard terms and conditions on a purchase order or various other record.

Strengthen: A lengthy cushion or pillow generally put on a chair, sofa or bed.

Case-Goods: Furnishings made from hard materials such as wood, steel, glass or plastic. Examples of case-goods are chests, tables, cabinets, bookshelves and cabinets.

Chair Rail: A piece of decorative molding placed around 30" off the flooring to secure wall surfaces from being scraped by chair backs.

Chaise Longue or Lounge: A long, low upholstered sofa in the shape of a chair that is long sufficient to sustain the legs.

Traditional Crown Molding: Kind Of crown molding generally used to conjunction with added moldings. Traditional crown is bigger and has much more decorative profiles.

Claw Foot Bathtub: A tub installed off of the flooring on 4 legs. The base of each leg is formed like a claw foot.

Clear Floor Space: An area that is without obstruction. The term is usually used in cooking areas in reference to the suggestions for clearances at a devices or work center.

Color Performance: An index of just how light makes objects appear.

Console Sink: A sink container supported by legs, which can be steel or wood.

Console Table: A lengthy narrow table used for displaying decorative objects, lighting, florals, and so on. It's usually placed in a foyer or behind a couch.

Contemporary: The style integral to today time. Often confused with "contemporary.".

Contrast: The distinction in illumination in between surface areas in the field of sight.

Credenza: A large low cupboard, generally 30" -36" high with a level top used for serving and storage.

Eco-Friendly: Having little or no impact on the native environment.

Egress: A path or opening for exiting an area or structure.

Faux-Finish: An attractive technique in which paint or stain is put on a surface area to mimic one more product such as wood, marble or granite.

Feng Shui: Actually converted as wind and water. An old Chinese scientific technique based on selecting the optimum positioning, plan and option of objects and surface areas to urge positive energy or chi.

Fluorescent Lights: A kind of lighting in which an electrical fee is travelled through mercury vapor to develop a chain reaction that generates light. It uses far less energy and develops less warmth than incandescent or halogen lighting, but the light high quality and shade making abilities are lessened.

Focal Point: A visual center of interest or point of focus in an area.

Gate-Leg Table: A style of drop-leaf table with fallen leaves that are supported by additional legs that turn out like entrances.

Green Style: A layout, likewise described as a sustainable layout or eco-design, which adapts eco seem concepts of structure, product and energy use.

Halogen Lights: A kind of lighting in which a tungsten filament is sealed right into a portable transparent vessel and full of a percentage of iodine or bromine to develop a chain reaction that generates light. The light from a halogen bulb is much better at displaying colors than typical incandescent or fluorescent bulbs.

Incandescent Lights: A kind of lighting in which an electrical current is travelled through a thin filament, warming it to a temperature that generates light. The confining glass bulb has either a vacuum or an inert gas to stop oxidation of the filament. Incandescent bulbs are affordable and develop good all-natural light and shade renderings, but use more energy and produce more warmth than fluorescent bulbs.

Knock-Down: Furnishings that is offered unassembled or partially constructed.

Lazy Susan: A corner cupboard in which the shelves are installed on an upright axle such that products may be recovered by pushing on the shelves. This type is generally discovered in cooking areas. When pushed on the cupboard, "doors" expose the shelves, which are circular with the exception of the ninety-degree cutout where the doors are installed.

Lumbar Pillow: A little rectangle-shaped cushion developed to sustain the reduced back. You see these with elbow chairs and sofas.

Mid-Century Modern: An attractive style initial promoted in the late 1940s characterized by tidy lines, using contemporary materials such as plastic and aluminum, and a smooth very little account.

Monochromatic: A color design developed around one shade, with several of its shades and colors.

Mullion: The wood or steel divider panels used in between the various panes of glass on multi-paned windows. Modern windows usually include artificial decorative mullions.

Ottoman: An upholstered stool or hassock, developed to address the foot of a chair.

Necklace: A lights component hung from the ceiling containing one or more lights.

Peninsula: An area of cabinets or counter secured to the kitchen area that can be accessed by means of one to 3 sides.

Image Plane: The plane on which the picture is viewed.

Image Rail: A horizontal trim item mounted high up on a wall surface as a means of hanging images without piercing the wall surface with nails.

Pocket Door: A door that glides horizontally on a track and is usually relocated inside a wall surface for storage.

Primary Colors: The 3 standard colors of which all various other colors are comprised of: red, yellow and blue.

R&R: Get Rid Of and Change. It's a term defining a simple makeover project that involves removing and replacing kitchen cabinetry, components and devices without structural or mechanical modifications.

Recover: To use a product once more after its preliminary use.

Replacement Factor: The percentage of time that a product will call for replacement.

Jogger: A lengthy narrow area rug developed to go in a hallway or foyer.

Range: The amount of the services and products to be supplied as a task.

Service Entry: A 2nd, informal entrance to the home, used for bringing in groceries and supplies. It's usually near to the kitchen area, garage or carport.

Sofa: A lengthy wood or upholstered bench with a back, developed to seat 2 or more individuals.

Slipcover: A removable fabric cover for a chair, sofa or seat.

Soffit: A reduced portion of a ceiling.

Sub-Flooring: The flooring used straight to the flooring joist in addition to which the finished flooring rests.

Job Lights: A lights resource guided to a certain function within an area. Checking out lights in a living room or under-counter lighting in a kitchen are instances of task lighting.

Color: Any kind of shade combined with white (i.e. all pastel colors are colors).

Tone: Any kind of shade combined with gray (most warm-looking colors are tones).

Torchere: A flooring light that routes light upwards to provide ambient room lighting.

Tufting: The upholstery process of securely gathering fabric over a padded base and safeguarding the gathered portion to a taken care of backing using stitching or switches. This process develops small quilts of fabric, referred to as "tufts".

Universal Style: The layout of items and atmospheres to be able to be used by all individuals to the best extent possible.

Valance: An attractive window treatment installed across the top of a window (outside the housing). They are generally incorporated with blinds, curtain panels, or sheers.

Vanity: Shower room cupboard with the lavatory on the type.

Veneer: A slim layer of wood developed by peeling off the trunk of a tree on a roller to create long sheets with a consistent grain pattern. This layer is then put on a solid or fiberboard backing to develop a more uniform appearance.

Vintage: Furnishings and decorative components that are in between 10 and 100 years old. Elements are usually discovered at flea markets, yard sale and specialty "vintage" sellers.

Wainscoting: Paneling on the reduced half of a wall surface that differs from the upper half. A chair rail generally separates it.

Job Aisle: Space required to work at the kitchen area work facilities.