Interior Design Glossary

Embellishing a home is no easy job as well as when your interior decorator is throwing around terms like ballast, chair rail as well as gate-leg table, it can become quite confusing. That is why I am here to present our glossary of interior decoration.

All the terms below might or might not be used when discussing your interior decoration strategies with a professional or supplier. By recognizing, or just keeping record of all the terms below, you can negotiate as well as develop with the best of them.

Did we miss a term? Include your own in the comments section below.

Ambient: The ecological conditions in the room.

Ambient Lights: General lighting diffused within an entire room.

Devices: Small items such as vases, books, lights, plants, florals as well as sculptures used to customize a room.

Ballast: A gadget that manages the present in a fluorescent light.

Base Cabinets: Kitchen cabinetry used on the flooring to provide countertop support as well as is commonly 34 1/2 inches tall as well as 24 inches deep.

Beveled Glass: Clear or mirrored glass in which the side perimeter (typically 1" large) has been cut at an angle to attain a different aesthetic impact. On clear glass, it produces an altered prism impact, as well as on mirrored glass, it adds a reflective "sparkle".

Boilerplate: The standard conditions on an order or other document.

Reinforce: A lengthy pillow or padding typically put on a chair, couch or bed.

Case-Goods: Furniture made of hard products such as timber, metal, glass or plastic. Instances of case-goods are chests, tables, cabinets, bookshelves as well as closets.

Chair Rail: A piece of decorative molding positioned roughly 30" off the flooring to secure wall surfaces from being scraped by chair backs.

Chaise Longue or Lounge: A long, reduced upholstered sofa in the form of a chair that is long enough to support the legs.

Classic Crown Molding: Type of crown molding typically used to conjunction with added moldings. Classic crown is bigger as well as has much more decorative accounts.

Claw Foot Tub: A bathtub mounted off of the flooring on 4 legs. The base of each leg is shaped like a claw foot.

Clear Floor Area: An area that is without obstruction. The term is commonly used in cooking areas of the suggestions for clearances at a devices or work center.

Shade Performance: An index of how light makes items appear.

Console Sink: A sink basin sustained by legs, which can be metal or wooden.

Console Table: A lengthy narrow table used for presenting decorative items, lighting, florals, etc. It's often positioned in a foyer or behind a sofa.

Contemporary: The style inherent to the present time. Commonly puzzled with "modern-day.".

Contrast: The distinction in illumination between surfaces in the field of view.

Credenza: A large reduced cabinet, typically 30" -36" high with a level top used for serving as well as storage space.

Eco-Friendly: Having little or no effect on the native ecosystem.

Egress: A path or opening up for leaving a room or building.

Faux-Finish: A decorative technique in which paint or tarnish is related to a surface to simulate an additional product such as timber, marble or granite.

Feng Shui: Actually translated as wind as well as water. An old Chinese clinical method based upon selecting the optimal positioning, arrangement as well as selection of items as well as surfaces to motivate positive energy or chi.

Fluorescent Lights: A sort of lighting in which an electrical fee is gone through mercury vapor to develop a chain reaction that creates light. It makes use of far less energy as well as produces less warm than incandescent or halogen lighting, however the light top quality as well as shade making capabilities are diminished.

Focal Point: An aesthetic center of interest or point of focus in a room.

Gate-Leg Table: A style of drop-leaf table with leaves that are sustained by added legs that swing out like entrances.

Green Layout: A layout, also described as a sustainable layout or eco-design, which adapts environmentally appear principles of building, product as well as energy use.

Halogen Lights: A sort of lighting in which a tungsten filament is sealed into a portable transparent vessel as well as filled with a small amount of iodine or bromine to develop a chain reaction that creates light. The light from a halogen light bulb is much better at presenting shades than typical incandescent or fluorescent light bulbs.

Incandescent Lights: A sort of lighting in which an electrical current is gone through a thin filament, heating it to a temperature that creates light. The enclosing glass light bulb has either a vacuum cleaner or an inert gas to prevent oxidation of the filament. Incandescent light bulbs are economical as well as develop good natural light as well as shade makings, however make use of more energy as well as generate more warm than fluorescent light bulbs.

Knock-Down: Furniture that is sold unassembled or partially set up.

Lazy Susan: An edge cabinet in which the racks are mounted on a vertical axle such that items might be gotten by pushing on the racks. This kind is typically discovered in cooking areas. When pushed on the cabinet, "doors" reveal the racks, which are circular besides the ninety-degree cutout where the doors are mounted.

Lumbar Cushion: A little rectangular pillow created to support the reduced back. You see these with elbow chairs as well as couches.

Mid-Century Modern: A decorative style initial promoted in the late 1940s characterized by clean lines, making use of modern-day products such as plastic as well as light weight aluminum, as well as a sleek very little profile.

Single: A color pattern constructed around one hue, with several of its tones as well as colors.

Mullion: The timber or metal divider panels used between the various panes of glass on multi-paned windows. Modern windows often include artificial decorative mullions.

Ottoman: An upholstered stool or hassock, created to address the foot of a chair.

Necklace: An illumination component hung from the ceiling containing several lights.

Peninsula: An area of closets or counter attached to the kitchen that can be accessed by means of one to 3 sides.

Image Plane: The aircraft on which the picture is checked out.

Image Rail: A straight trim piece mounted high up on a wall as a means of hanging photos without piercing the wall surface with nails.

Pocket Door: A door that slides horizontally on a track as well as is commonly moved inside a wall for storage space.

Primaries: The 3 standard shades of which all other shades are consisted of: red, yellow as well as blue.

R&R: Remove as well as Replace. It's a term defining an easy improvement project that entails eliminating as well as changing kitchen cabinetry, components as well as home appliances without architectural or mechanical changes.

Recover: To make use of a product again after its initial use.

Substitute Factor: The portion of time that a product will need replacement.

Runner: A lengthy narrow rug created to enter a corridor or entrance hall.

Range: The amount of the product or services to be given as a task.

Service Entrance: A second, casual entryway to the home, used for bringing in grocery stores as well as products. It's often close to the kitchen, garage or carport.

Sofa: A lengthy wooden or upholstered bench with a back, created to seat two or more people.

Slipcover: A removable fabric cover for a chair, couch or loveseat.

Soffit: A reduced portion of a ceiling.

Sub-Flooring: The floor covering applied straight to the flooring joist on top of which the completed flooring relaxes.

Task Lights: An illumination source routed to a particular objective within a room. Checking out lights in a living room or under-counter lighting in a kitchen are instances of job lighting.

Tint: Any kind of shade combined with white (i.e. all pastel shades are colors).

Tone: Any kind of shade combined with gray (most warm-looking shades are tones).

Torchere: A flooring light that directs light upwards to provide ambient room lighting.

Tufting: The furniture procedure of tightly gathering fabric over a cushioned base as well as protecting the gathered portion to a taken care of backing utilizing stitching or buttons. This procedure produces little quilts of fabric, called "tufts".

Universal Layout: The layout of products as well as atmospheres to be able to be used by all people to the greatest degree possible.

Valance: A decorative window therapy mounted across the top of a home window (outside the casing). They are typically combined with blinds, drape panels, or sheers.

Vanity: Washroom cabinet with the bathroom on the kind.

Veneer: A slim layer of timber created by peeling off the trunk of a tree on a roller to create lengthy sheets with a regular grain pattern. This layer is then related to a strong or fiberboard backing to develop a more consistent appearance.

Vintage: Furniture as well as decorative components that are between 10 as well as 100 years of ages. Components are often discovered at flea markets, yard sales as well as specialized "vintage" stores.

Wainscoting: Paneling on the reduced fifty percent of a wall that varies from the top fifty percent. A chair rail typically divides it.

Job Aisle: Area needed to operate at the kitchen work centers.