Interior Decoration Glossary

Enhancing a residence is no easy job and when your interior decorator is throwing around terms like ballast, chair rail and gate-leg table, it can come to be quite confusing. That is why I am below to provide our reference of interior decoration.

All the terms below might or might not be used when reviewing your interior decoration plans with an expert or maker. By recognizing, or simply keeping document of all the terms below, you can work out and create with the very best of them.

Did we miss a term? Include your very own in the comments section below.

Ambient: The environmental problems in the area.

Ambient Illumination: General lighting diffused within a whole area.

Accessories: Tiny objects such as flower holders, books, lights, plants, florals and sculptures used to customize an area.

Ballast: A gadget that regulates the existing in a fluorescent lamp.

Base Cabinets: Kitchen cabinetry used on the floor to provide kitchen counter assistance and is generally 34 1/2 inches high and 24 inches deep.

Beveled Glass: Clear or mirrored glass in which the side border (typically 1" broad) has been reduced at an angle to attain a contrasting aesthetic effect. On clear glass, it creates an altered prism effect, and on mirrored glass, it adds a reflective "sparkle".

Boilerplate: The basic terms and conditions on an order or other file.

Reinforce: A long cushion or padding typically positioned on a chair, couch or bed.

Case-Goods: Furnishings made of hard products such as wood, steel, glass or plastic. Examples of case-goods are upper bodies, tables, cabinets, shelfs and closets.

Chair Rail: A piece of decorative molding positioned approximately 30" off the floor to secure walls from being scraped by chair backs.

Chaise Longue or Lounge: A long, reduced upholstered sofa in the shape of a chair that is long enough to sustain the legs.

Traditional Crown Molding: Kind Of crown molding typically used to combination with extra moldings. Traditional crown is bigger and has extra decorative accounts.

Claw Foot Bathtub: A bathtub mounted off of the floor on 4 legs. The base of each leg is formed like a claw foot.

Clear Floor Area: A location that is without obstruction. The term is generally used in cooking areas in reference to the referrals for clearances at a devices or work center.

Color Performance: An index of just how light makes objects show up.

Console Sink: A sink basin supported by legs, which can be steel or wooden.

Console Table: A long narrow table used for presenting decorative objects, lighting, florals, and so on. It's typically positioned in an entrance hall or behind a sofa.

Contemporary: The style integral to the here and now time. Frequently perplexed with "contemporary.".

Contrast: The difference in brightness between surface areas in the field of sight.

Credenza: A huge reduced cabinet, typically 30" -36" high with a level top used for serving and storage space.

Eco-Friendly: Having little or no impact on the indigenous ecological community.

Egress: A path or opening for exiting an area or structure.

Faux-Finish: An ornamental method in which paint or tarnish is applied to a surface area to imitate another material such as wood, marble or granite.

Feng Shui: Essentially equated as wind and water. An old Chinese clinical practice based upon choosing the optimal placement, plan and selection of objects and surface areas to urge positive power or chi.

Fluorescent Illumination: A type of lighting in which an electric fee is passed through mercury vapor to create a chemical reaction that creates light. It utilizes far much less power and creates much less warm than incandescent or halogen lighting, but the light quality and color rendering abilities are decreased.

Focal Point: An aesthetic center of interest or factor of emphasis in an area.

Gate-Leg Table: A design of drop-leaf table with leaves that are supported by added legs that swing out like entrances.

Environment-friendly Layout: A layout, likewise described as a sustainable design or eco-design, which satisfies ecologically sound concepts of structure, material and power usage.

Halogen Illumination: A type of lighting in which a tungsten filament is sealed right into a portable clear vessel and full of a percentage of iodine or bromine to create a chemical reaction that creates light. The light from a halogen bulb is much better at presenting shades than typical incandescent or fluorescent light bulbs.

Incandescent Illumination: A type of lighting in which an electrical current is passed through a thin filament, warming it to a temperature level that creates light. The confining glass bulb has either a vacuum cleaner or an inert gas to prevent oxidation of the filament. Incandescent light bulbs are economical and create good all-natural light and color renderings, but utilize even more power and create even more warm than fluorescent light bulbs.

Knock-Down: Furnishings that is sold unassembled or partly constructed.

Lazy Susan: A corner cabinet in which the shelves are mounted on a vertical axle such that things might be fetched by pushing on the shelves. This type is typically found in cooking areas. When pushed on the cabinet, "doors" expose the shelves, which are circular with the exception of the ninety-degree intermediary where the doors are mounted.

Lumbar Pillow: A little rectangular cushion made to sustain the reduced back. You see these with elbow chairs and sofas.

Mid-Century Modern: An ornamental style very first promoted in the late 1940s identified by clean lines, the use of contemporary products such as plastic and aluminum, and a smooth very little profile.

Monochromatic: A color design built around one shade, with numerous of its tones and colors.

Mullion: The wood or steel dividers used between the different panes of glass on multi-paned windows. Modern windows typically feature synthetic decorative mullions.

Footrest: An upholstered feces or hassock, made to address the foot of a chair.

Pendant: An illumination component hung from the ceiling containing one or more lights.

Peninsula: A location of closets or counter fastened to the kitchen area that can be accessed through one to 3 sides.

Image Airplane: The plane on which the picture is watched.

Image Rail: A straight trim piece installed high up on a wall as a means of hanging photos without penetrating the wall surface with nails.

Pocket Door: A door that slides horizontally on a track and is generally moved inside a wall for storage space.

Primary Colors: The 3 standard shades of which all other shades are comprised of: red, yellow and blue.

R&R: Eliminate and Replace. It's a term explaining an easy remodeling task that entails eliminating and replacing cabinets, components and appliances without architectural or mechanical modifications.

Recover: To utilize an item once again after its initial usage.

Substitute Factor: The percent of time that a thing will certainly call for replacement.

Jogger: A long narrow rug made to go in a corridor or entrance hall.

Extent: The sum of the services and products to be offered as a project.

Service Entrance: A second, casual entrance to the house, used for generating groceries and supplies. It's typically near to the kitchen area, garage or carport.

Sofa: A long wooden or upholstered bench with a back, made to seat two or even more people.

Slipcover: A removable material cover for a chair, couch or seat.

Soffit: A reduced part of a ceiling.

Sub-Flooring: The floor covering applied straight to the floor joist in addition to which the completed floor relaxes.

Task Illumination: An illumination source directed to a particular objective within an area. Reviewing lights in a living-room or under-counter lighting in a cooking area are examples of job lighting.

Color: Any kind of color combined with white (i.e. all pastel shades are colors).

Tone: Any kind of color combined with gray (most warm-looking shades are tones).

Torchere: A flooring lamp that guides light up to provide ambient area lighting.

Tufting: The furniture process of firmly collecting material over a cushioned base and protecting the gathered part to a dealt with backing making use of stitching or buttons. This process creates little quilts of material, called "tufts".

Universal Layout: The design of items and settings to be able to be used by all people to the greatest degree feasible.

Frame: An ornamental window therapy mounted across the top of a window (outside the housing). They are typically incorporated with blinds, drape panels, or sheers.

Vanity: Bathroom cabinet with the bathroom on the type.

Veneer: A thin layer of wood developed by peeling the trunk of a tree on a roller to generate lengthy sheets with a consistent grain pattern. This layer is then applied to a strong or fiberboard backing to create a much more uniform look.

Vintage: Furnishings and decorative aspects that are between 10 and 100 years old. Elements are typically found at flea markets, yard sales and specialized "vintage" retailers.

Wainscoting: Paneling on the reduced half of a wall that differs from the top half. A chair rail typically divides it.

Job Aisle: Area needed to operate at the kitchen area work centers.