Interior Decoration Glossary

Decorating a house is no easy job and when your interior decorator is throwing around terms like ballast, chair rail and gate-leg table, it can come to be fairly complex. That is why I am right here to provide our glossary of interior design.

All the terms below may or may not be used when discussing your interior design plans with an expert or supplier. By understanding, or just maintaining record of all the terms below, you can bargain and make with the best of them.

Did we miss a term? Add your own in the comments area below.

Ambient: The ecological conditions in the area.

Ambient Illumination: General lighting diffused within an entire area.

Accessories: Little things such as flower holders, books, lights, plants, florals and sculptures used to personalize a room.

Ballast: A tool that manages the existing in a fluorescent lamp.

Base Cabinets: Cabinetry used on the flooring to supply counter top assistance and is commonly 34 1/2 inches high and 24 inches deep.

Beveled Glass: Clear or mirrored glass in which the side border (typically 1" broad) has actually been reduced at an angle to attain a contrasting visual effect. On clear glass, it develops a distorted prism effect, and on mirrored glass, it adds a reflective "glimmer".

Boilerplate: The common terms and conditions on an order or other paper.

Bolster: A lengthy pillow or pillow typically placed on a chair, couch or bed.

Case-Goods: Furnishings made from hard products such as wood, metal, glass or plastic. Examples of case-goods are breasts, tables, cabinets, bookshelves and cabinets.

Chair Rail: An item of decorative molding put about 30" off the flooring to shield wall surfaces from being scraped by chair backs.

Chaise Longue or Lounge: A long, low upholstered couch in the shape of a chair that is long sufficient to support the legs.

Timeless Crown Molding: Sort Of crown molding typically used to conjunction with additional moldings. Timeless crown is larger and has more decorative profiles.

Claw Foot Tub: A bathtub mounted off of the flooring on 4 legs. The base of each leg is formed like a claw foot.

Clear Flooring Room: A location that is free of obstruction. The term is commonly used in kitchens of the suggestions for clearances at a devices or work center.

Shade Rendition: An index of exactly how light makes things appear.

Console Sink: A sink container sustained by legs, which can be metal or wood.

Console Table: A lengthy narrow table used for presenting decorative things, illumination, florals, etc. It's often put in an entrance hall or behind a sofa.

Contemporary: The style intrinsic to today time. Frequently confused with "modern-day.".

Comparison: The difference in illumination between surface areas in the field of view.

Credenza: A big low cupboard, typically 30" -36" high with a flat top used for offering and storage space.

Eco-Friendly: Having little or no impact on the indigenous ecosystem.

Egress: A course or opening up for leaving a room or building.

Faux-Finish: An ornamental method in which paint or stain is put on a surface to simulate an additional material such as wood, marble or granite.

Feng Shui: Actually equated as wind and water. An ancient Chinese scientific practice based upon choosing the optimum positioning, plan and selection of things and surface areas to encourage positive energy or chi.

Fluorescent Illumination: A type of illumination in which an electric charge is travelled through mercury vapor to produce a chain reaction that creates light. It makes use of far much less energy and develops much less heat than incandescent or halogen illumination, however the light high quality and shade rendering capacities are decreased.

Prime focus: An aesthetic center of passion or factor of focus in a room.

Gate-Leg Table: A style of drop-leaf table with fallen leaves that are sustained by additional legs that turn out like gates.

Eco-friendly Layout: A style, additionally described as a sustainable layout or eco-design, which conforms to ecologically sound concepts of building, material and energy usage.

Halogen Illumination: A type of illumination in which a tungsten filament is secured right into a small transparent vessel and full of a small amount of iodine or bromine to produce a chain reaction that creates light. The light from a halogen light bulb is much better at presenting shades than traditional incandescent or fluorescent bulbs.

Incandescent Illumination: A type of illumination in which an electrical current is travelled through a slim filament, heating it to a temperature that creates light. The enclosing glass light bulb consists of either a vacuum cleaner or an inert gas to stop oxidation of the filament. Incandescent bulbs are economical and produce excellent natural light and shade renderings, however utilize more energy and produce more heat than fluorescent bulbs.

Knock-Down: Furnishings that is marketed unassembled or partly constructed.

Lazy Susan: A corner cupboard in which the racks are mounted on a vertical axle such that things may be gotten by pushing on the racks. This type is typically located in kitchens. When pushed on the cupboard, "doors" expose the racks, which are circular besides the ninety-degree cutout where the doors are mounted.

Lumbar Cushion: A little rectangular pillow designed to support the lower back. You see these with armchairs and couches.

Mid-Century Modern: An ornamental style initial popularized in the late 1940s identified by clean lines, using modern-day products such as plastic and aluminum, and a sleek minimal account.

Monochromatic: A color scheme constructed around one shade, with several of its shades and tints.

Mullion: The wood or metal divider panels used between the different panes of glass on multi-paned windows. Modern windows often feature synthetic decorative mullions.

Footrest: An upholstered stool or hassock, designed to address the foot of a chair.

Necklace: A lighting component hung from the ceiling including several lights.

Peninsula: A location of cabinets or counter secured to the kitchen that can be accessed by means of one to 3 sides.

Photo Plane: The plane on which the picture is viewed.

Photo Rail: A horizontal trim item installed high up on a wall as a means of hanging photos without puncturing the wall surface with nails.

Pocket Door: A door that slides flat on a track and is commonly moved inside a wall for storage space.

Primary Colors: The 3 basic shades of which all other shades are comprised of: red, yellow and blue.

R&R: Eliminate and Change. It's a term describing an easy makeover task that involves removing and changing kitchen cabinetry, fixtures and home appliances without structural or mechanical adjustments.

Reclaim: To utilize a product again after its first usage.

Substitute Aspect: The percent of time that an item will need substitute.

Runner: A lengthy narrow area rug designed to go in a corridor or entrance hall.

Extent: The sum of the product or services to be given as a task.

Solution Entrance: A 2nd, casual entrance to the home, used for generating groceries and materials. It's often near the kitchen, garage or carport.

Sofa: A lengthy wood or upholstered bench with a back, designed to seat 2 or more individuals.

Slipcover: A detachable fabric cover for a chair, couch or seat.

Soffit: A reduced section of a ceiling.

Sub-Flooring: The floor covering used directly to the flooring joist on top of which the finished flooring relaxes.

Task Illumination: A lighting source routed to a particular function within a room. Checking out lights in a living-room or under-counter illumination in a kitchen are examples of job illumination.

Color: Any kind of shade combined with white (i.e. all light shades are tints).

Tone: Any kind of shade combined with grey (most warm-looking shades are tones).

Torchere: A flooring lamp that guides light up to supply ambient area illumination.

Tufting: The upholstery procedure of firmly collecting fabric over a cushioned base and securing the gathered section to a dealt with support making use of sewing or switches. This procedure develops tiny quilts of fabric, known as "tufts".

Universal Layout: The layout of products and environments to be able to be used by all individuals to the greatest degree feasible.

Frame: An ornamental home window treatment mounted throughout the top of a window (outside the case). They are typically combined with blinds, drape panels, or sheers.

Vanity: Washroom cupboard with the bathroom on the type.

Veneer: A thin layer of wood created by peeling off the trunk of a tree on a roller to create lengthy sheets with a regular grain pattern. This layer is then put on a strong or fiber board support to produce an extra consistent look.

Vintage: Furnishings and decorative aspects that are between 10 and 100 years of ages. Aspects are often located at flea markets, garage sales and specialty "vintage" retailers.

Wainscoting: Paneling on the lower half of a wall that differs from the top half. A chair rail typically separates it.

Work Aisle: Room needed to work at the kitchen work facilities.