Interior Design Reference

Embellishing a home is no simple task and also when your interior decorator is throwing around terms like ballast, chair rail and also gate-leg table, it can come to be quite complex. That is why I am here to provide our glossary of interior design.

All the terms listed below may or may not be made use of when discussing your interior design strategies with a professional or producer. By knowing, or simply keeping document of all the terms listed below, you can negotiate and also develop with the best of them.

Did we miss a term? Include your own in the remarks section listed below.

Ambient: The environmental problems in the area.

Ambient Lights: General lighting diffused within a whole area.

Accessories: Small things such as flower holders, books, lights, plants, florals and also sculptures made use of to personalize an area.

Ballast: A tool that manages the existing in a fluorescent light.

Base Cabinets: Cabinetry made use of on the floor to provide kitchen counter assistance and also is normally 34 1/2 inches tall and also 24 inches deep.

Beveled Glass: Clear or mirrored glass in which the edge boundary (typically 1" broad) has actually been reduced at an angle to achieve a different aesthetic impact. On clear glass, it creates an altered prism impact, and also on mirrored glass, it includes a reflective "shimmer".

Boilerplate: The common terms and conditions on a purchase order or other record.

Boost: A long pillow or cushion typically positioned on a chair, couch or bed.

Case-Goods: Furniture constructed from difficult materials such as timber, metal, glass or plastic. Instances of case-goods are chests, tables, cabinets, shelfs and also closets.

Chair Rail: An item of decorative molding placed approximately 30" off the floor to safeguard wall surfaces from being scraped by chair backs.

Chaise Longue or Lounge: A long, reduced upholstered couch in the form of a chair that is long sufficient to support the legs.

Classic Crown Molding: Kind Of crown molding typically made use of to conjunction with extra moldings. Classic crown is larger and also has much more decorative accounts.

Claw Foot Bathtub: A tub placed off of the floor on four legs. The base of each leg is shaped like a claw foot.

Clear Flooring Space: An area that is free of blockage. The term is normally made use of in kitchen areas in reference to the suggestions for clearances at an appliances or work center.

Shade Performance: An index of how light makes things show up.

Console Sink: A sink container sustained by legs, which can be metal or wood.

Console Table: A long slim table made use of for showing decorative things, lights, florals, etc. It's commonly placed in an entrance hall or behind a sofa.

Contemporary: The style fundamental to the present time. Often perplexed with "contemporary.".

Comparison: The difference in brightness in between surface areas in the field of sight.

Credenza: A huge reduced cupboard, typically 30" -36" high with a flat top made use of for offering and also storage.

Eco-Friendly: Having little or no impact on the indigenous environment.

Egress: A path or opening up for exiting an area or building.

Faux-Finish: A decorative technique in which paint or tarnish is related to a surface to imitate one more product such as timber, marble or granite.

Feng Shui: Essentially equated as wind and also water. An old Chinese scientific technique based upon choosing the optimum placement, plan and also option of things and also surface areas to encourage positive power or chi.

Fluorescent Lights: A type of lights in which an electrical fee is travelled through mercury vapor to develop a chain reaction that creates light. It uses far less power and also creates less warm than incandescent or halogen lights, however the light quality and also shade rendering capacities are diminished.

Focal Point: A visual center of passion or factor of focus in an area.

Gate-Leg Table: A design of drop-leaf table with leaves that are sustained by extra legs that turn out like gateways.

Green Layout: A style, also described as a lasting layout or eco-design, which complies with environmentally seem concepts of building, product and also power usage.

Halogen Lights: A type of lights in which a tungsten filament is secured right into a small clear vessel and also filled with a small amount of iodine or bromine to develop a chain reaction that creates light. The light from a halogen bulb is much better at showing shades than conventional incandescent or fluorescent light bulbs.

Incandescent Lights: A type of lights in which an electric current is travelled through a slim filament, warming it to a temperature that creates light. The enclosing glass bulb consists of either a vacuum or an inert gas to prevent oxidation of the filament. Incandescent light bulbs are affordable and also develop good all-natural light and also shade renderings, however use more power and also create more warm than fluorescent light bulbs.

Knock-Down: Furniture that is offered unassembled or partially set up.

Lazy Susan: An edge cupboard in which the racks are placed on an upright axle such that items may be gotten by pushing on the racks. This kind is typically located in kitchen areas. When pushed on the cupboard, "doors" expose the racks, which are circular except for the ninety-degree intermediary where the doors are placed.

Lumbar Cushion: A tiny rectangular pillow made to support the lower back. You see these with armchairs and also sofas.

Mid-Century Modern: A decorative style initial promoted in the late 1940s identified by tidy lines, the use of contemporary materials such as plastic and also light weight aluminum, and also a smooth minimal profile.

Single: A color scheme built around one tone, with several of its tones and also tints.

Mullion: The timber or metal divider panels made use of in between the various panes of glass on multi-paned windows. Modern windows commonly feature faux decorative mullions.

Footrest: An upholstered stool or hassock, made to go at the foot of a chair.

Necklace: A lights fixture hung from the ceiling including several lights.

Peninsula: An area of closets or counter secured to the kitchen that can be accessed using one to 3 sides.

Image Airplane: The aircraft on which the picture is seen.

Image Rail: A horizontal trim piece set up high up on a wall surface as a means of hanging photos without piercing the wall with nails.

Pocket Door: A door that glides horizontally on a track and also is normally relocated inside a wall surface for storage.

Primaries: The 3 standard shades of which all other shades are included: red, yellow and also blue.

R&R: Remove and also Replace. It's a term explaining a basic improvement job that entails removing and also replacing cabinets, fixtures and also home appliances without architectural or mechanical modifications.

Recover: To use a product again after its preliminary usage.

Replacement Variable: The percent of time that a product will certainly need replacement.

Runner: A long slim area rug made to go in a hallway or foyer.

Scope: The amount of the services and products to be given as a project.

Service Entry: A 2nd, casual entry to the house, made use of for bringing in groceries and also materials. It's commonly close to the kitchen, garage or carport.

Sofa: A long wood or upholstered bench with a back, made to seat 2 or more people.

Slipcover: A detachable fabric cover for a chair, couch or seat.

Soffit: A lowered part of a ceiling.

Sub-Flooring: The flooring used straight to the floor joist on top of which the completed floor relaxes.

Task Lights: A lights source directed to a certain function within an area. Reading lights in a living-room or under-counter lights in a kitchen are examples of task lights.

Color: Any type of shade combined with white (i.e. all light shades are tints).

Tone: Any type of shade combined with gray (most warm-looking shades are tones).

Torchere: A floor light that directs light upwards to provide ambient area lights.

Tufting: The furniture process of tightly collecting fabric over a cushioned base and also protecting the collected part to a fixed support using stitching or switches. This process creates tiny quilts of fabric, called "tufts".

Universal Layout: The layout of products and also atmospheres to be able to be used by all people to the best degree possible.

Frame: A decorative window therapy placed throughout the top of a window (outside the casing). They are typically integrated with blinds, drape panels, or sheers.

Vanity: Restroom cupboard with the lavatory on the kind.

Veneer: A thin layer of timber produced by peeling off the trunk of a tree on a roller to produce long sheets with a regular grain pattern. This layer is then related to a strong or fiberboard support to develop a much more consistent look.

Vintage: Furniture and also decorative aspects that are in between 10 and also 100 years old. Elements are commonly located at flea markets, yard sale and also specialized "vintage" retailers.

Wainscoting: Paneling on the lower fifty percent of a wall surface that differs from the top fifty percent. A chair rail typically separates it.

Work Aisle: Space required to operate at the kitchen work centers.