Interior Design Glossary

Decorating a residence is no easy job and when your interior decorator is throwing around terms like ballast, chair rail and gate-leg table, it can become fairly confusing. That is why I am below to provide our reference of interior design.

All the terms below might or might not be used when reviewing your interior design plans with a specialist or supplier. By understanding, or just maintaining document of all the terms below, you can bargain and design with the best of them.

Did we miss a term? Add your own in the remarks area below.

Ambient: The environmental problems in the room.

Ambient Illumination: General lighting diffused within an entire room.

Accessories: Little items such as vases, books, lamps, plants, florals and sculptures used to personalize a space.

Ballast: A device that manages the existing in a fluorescent light.

Base Cabinets: Kitchen cabinetry used on the flooring to supply kitchen counter support and is normally 34 1/2 inches tall and 24 inches deep.

Beveled Glass: Clear or mirrored glass in which the side perimeter (generally 1" broad) has actually been reduced at an angle to attain a contrasting visual effect. On clear glass, it creates a distorted prism effect, and on mirrored glass, it includes a reflective "glimmer".

Boilerplate: The common terms and conditions on an order or various other file.

Strengthen: A lengthy pillow or pillow generally placed on a chair, sofa or bed.

Case-Goods: Furniture made of tough products such as timber, steel, glass or plastic. Examples of case-goods are chests, tables, cabinets, shelfs and cabinets.

Chair Rail: An item of attractive molding placed approximately 30" off the flooring to shield wall surfaces from being scraped by chair backs.

Chaise Longue or Lounge: A long, low upholstered sofa in the shape of a chair that is long enough to support the legs.

Classic Crown Molding: Sort Of crown molding generally used to combination with additional moldings. Classic crown is larger and has extra attractive profiles.

Claw Foot Tub: A tub mounted off of the flooring on 4 legs. The base of each leg is formed like a claw foot.

Clear Flooring Area: A location that is without obstruction. The term is normally used in cooking areas of the referrals for clearances at a home appliances or job center.

Color Rendition: An index of how light makes items appear.

Console Sink: A sink basin supported by legs, which can be steel or wooden.

Console Table: A lengthy slim table used for presenting attractive items, lights, florals, etc. It's frequently placed in a foyer or behind a couch.

Contemporary: The design intrinsic to the present time. Typically confused with "contemporary.".

Contrast: The difference in brightness in between surfaces in the field of view.

Credenza: A large low cupboard, generally 30" -36" high with a flat top used for serving and storage.

Eco-Friendly: Having little or no effect on the native ecological community.

Egress: A path or opening up for exiting a space or building.

Faux-Finish: An attractive method in which paint or discolor is related to a surface to simulate another material such as timber, marble or granite.

Feng Shui: Actually translated as wind and water. An ancient Chinese scientific practice based upon picking the optimal placement, arrangement and selection of items and surfaces to motivate favorable power or chi.

Fluorescent Illumination: A sort of lights in which an electric cost is passed through mercury vapor to develop a chemical reaction that creates light. It uses much much less power and creates much less warm than incandescent or halogen lights, but the light high quality and shade making capabilities are diminished.

Centerpiece: A visual center of passion or point of focus in a space.

Gate-Leg Table: A design of drop-leaf table with fallen leaves that are supported by additional legs that turn out like entrances.

Green Style: A layout, additionally referred to as a lasting design or eco-design, which conforms to environmentally seem concepts of building, material and power use.

Halogen Illumination: A sort of lights in which a tungsten filament is sealed right into a small clear vessel and loaded with a small amount of iodine or bromine to develop a chemical reaction that creates light. The light from a halogen light bulb is much better at presenting colors than traditional incandescent or fluorescent bulbs.

Incandescent Illumination: A sort of lights in which an electrical current is passed through a thin filament, warming it to a temperature level that creates light. The enclosing glass light bulb includes either a vacuum or an inert gas to stop oxidation of the filament. Incandescent bulbs are low-cost and develop excellent all-natural light and shade makings, but use even more power and produce even more warm than fluorescent bulbs.

Knock-Down: Furniture that is offered unassembled or partly assembled.

Lazy Susan: An edge cupboard in which the racks are mounted on an upright axle such that products might be obtained by pushing on the racks. This kind is generally found in cooking areas. When pushed on the cupboard, "doors" expose the racks, which are circular except for the ninety-degree intermediary where the doors are mounted.

Lumbar Pillow: A little rectangular pillow created to support the lower back. You see these with armchairs and couches.

Mid-Century Modern: An attractive design very first popularized in the late 1940s characterized by clean lines, using contemporary products such as plastic and light weight aluminum, and a streamlined marginal profile.

Single: A color scheme built around one hue, with numerous of its tones and tints.

Mullion: The timber or steel divider panels used in between the different panes of glass on multi-paned home windows. Modern home windows frequently include faux attractive mullions.

Ottoman: An upholstered stool or hassock, created to go at the foot of a chair.

Pendant: A lights fixture hung from the ceiling containing one or more lamps.

Peninsula: A location of cabinets or counter attached to the cooking area that can be accessed using one to 3 sides.

Picture Airplane: The plane on which the picture is checked out.

Picture Rail: A straight trim item mounted high up on a wall as a means of hanging photos without puncturing the wall with nails.

Pocket Door: A door that glides flat on a track and is normally moved inside a wall for storage.

Primary Colors: The 3 fundamental colors of which all various other colors are comprised of: red, yellow and blue.

R&R: Remove and Change. It's a term describing a basic improvement project that entails removing and changing cabinetry, components and devices without architectural or mechanical changes.

Reclaim: To use a product once again after its initial use.

Replacement Factor: The percent of time that a thing will certainly call for replacement.

Jogger: A lengthy slim rug created to enter a corridor or foyer.

Scope: The sum of the products and services to be provided as a project.

Solution Entrance: A second, informal entryway to the home, used for generating groceries and products. It's frequently near the cooking area, garage or carport.

Settee: A lengthy wooden or upholstered bench with a back, created to seat two or even more individuals.

Slipcover: A detachable fabric cover for a chair, sofa or seat.

Soffit: A decreased portion of a ceiling.

Sub-Flooring: The floor covering applied directly to the flooring joist in addition to which the finished flooring rests.

Task Illumination: A lights source routed to a certain objective within a space. Checking out lights in a living room or under-counter lights in a cooking area are instances of job lights.

Tint: Any shade blended with white (i.e. all pastel colors are tints).

Tone: Any shade blended with grey (most warm-looking colors are tones).

Torchere: A floor light that guides light up to supply ambient room lights.

Tufting: The furniture procedure of firmly gathering fabric over a padded base and securing the collected portion to a repaired backing using stitching or buttons. This procedure creates small patchworks of fabric, known as "tufts".

Universal Style: The design of items and atmospheres to be able to be used by all individuals to the best extent feasible.

Frame: An attractive home window treatment mounted across the top of a home window (outside the covering). They are generally combined with blinds, drape panels, or sheers.

Vanity: Bathroom cupboard with the bathroom on the kind.

Veneer: A slim layer of timber created by peeling off the trunk of a tree on a roller to produce long sheets with a constant grain pattern. This layer is after that related to a solid or fiberboard backing to develop an extra uniform look.

Vintage: Furniture and attractive components that are in between 10 and 100 years of ages. Elements are frequently found at flea markets, yard sales and specialty "vintage" stores.

Wainscoting: Paneling on the lower half of a wall that varies from the top half. A chair rail generally separates it.

Job Aisle: Area required to work at the cooking area job centers.