Interior Decoration Reference

Decorating a home is no simple task and when your interior decorator is throwing around terms like ballast, chair rail and gate-leg table, it can come to be quite confusing. That is why I am here to provide our glossary of interior design.

All the terms listed below may or may not be used when reviewing your interior design plans with a specialist or maker. By recognizing, or simply keeping record of all the terms listed below, you can discuss and make with the best of them.

Did we miss a term? Add your own in the comments section listed below.

Ambient: The environmental conditions in the room.

Ambient Lighting: General lighting diffused within a whole room.

Accessories: Tiny things such as flower holders, books, lamps, plants, florals and sculptures used to individualize a space.

Ballast: A device that regulates the existing in a fluorescent lamp.

Base Cabinets: Cabinetry used on the flooring to give counter top support and is typically 34 1/2 inches tall and 24 inches deep.

Beveled Glass: Clear or mirrored glass in which the edge border (generally 1" broad) has actually been cut at an angle to accomplish a contrasting aesthetic result. On clear glass, it develops a distorted prism result, and on mirrored glass, it adds a reflective "glimmer".

Boilerplate: The typical conditions on a purchase order or other record.

Strengthen: A long pillow or pillow generally placed on a chair, sofa or bed.

Case-Goods: Furniture made of hard products such as wood, steel, glass or plastic. Examples of case-goods are chests, tables, dressers, shelfs and cupboards.

Chair Rail: An item of ornamental molding placed about 30" off the flooring to secure walls from being scraped by chair backs.

Chaise Longue or Lounge: A long, low upholstered sofa in the shape of a chair that is long enough to support the legs.

Timeless Crown Molding: Kind Of crown molding generally used to combination with added moldings. Timeless crown is bigger and has more ornamental accounts.

Claw Foot Bathtub: A tub placed off of the flooring on four legs. The base of each leg is shaped like a claw foot.

Clear Floor Area: An area that is without obstruction. The term is typically used in kitchens in reference to the suggestions for clearances at a devices or job center.

Shade Rendition: An index of how light makes things appear.

Console Sink: A sink container supported by legs, which can be steel or wood.

Console Table: A long slim table used for showing ornamental things, lights, florals, etc. It's usually placed in an entrance hall or behind a couch.

Contemporary: The style integral to the here and now time. Typically puzzled with "contemporary.".

Comparison: The difference in illumination between surface areas in the field of sight.

Credenza: A huge low closet, generally 30" -36" high with a flat top used for serving and storage.

Eco-Friendly: Having little or no effect on the indigenous ecological community.

Egress: A path or opening for leaving a space or building.

Faux-Finish: An ornamental method in which paint or tarnish is related to a surface to replicate another product such as wood, marble or granite.

Feng Shui: Literally equated as wind and water. An old Chinese clinical practice based on choosing the optimum positioning, setup and choice of things and surface areas to urge favorable power or chi.

Fluorescent Lighting: A kind of lights in which an electrical cost is passed through mercury vapor to create a chemical reaction that creates light. It uses far less power and develops less heat than incandescent or halogen lights, however the light high quality and shade rendering capacities are diminished.

Prime focus: A visual center of rate of interest or factor of emphasis in a space.

Gate-Leg Table: A design of drop-leaf table with fallen leaves that are supported by added legs that turn out like gateways.

Green Layout: A style, also described as a lasting layout or eco-design, which adapts ecologically appear concepts of building, product and power use.

Halogen Lighting: A kind of lights in which a tungsten filament is sealed into a small transparent vessel and filled with a small amount of iodine or bromine to create a chemical reaction that creates light. The light from a halogen light bulb is better at showing shades than traditional incandescent or fluorescent light bulbs.

Incandescent Lighting: A kind of lights in which an electrical current is passed through a slim filament, heating it to a temperature that creates light. The confining glass light bulb consists of either a vacuum or an inert gas to stop oxidation of the filament. Incandescent light bulbs are inexpensive and create great all-natural light and shade makings, however make use of even more power and produce even more heat than fluorescent light bulbs.

Knock-Down: Furniture that is marketed unassembled or partly constructed.

Careless Susan: A corner closet in which the racks are placed on a vertical axle such that things may be retrieved by pushing on the racks. This type is generally discovered in kitchens. When pushed on the closet, "doors" reveal the racks, which are round with the exception of the ninety-degree intermediary where the doors are placed.

Lumbar Pillow: A tiny rectangle-shaped pillow made to support the lower back. You see these with armchairs and sofas.

Mid-Century Modern: An ornamental style very first popularized in the late 1940s defined by tidy lines, making use of contemporary products such as plastic and aluminum, and a smooth marginal account.

Monochromatic: A color design built around one color, with several of its tones and colors.

Mullion: The wood or steel dividers used between the various panes of glass on multi-paned home windows. Modern home windows usually include faux ornamental mullions.

Footrest: An upholstered feces or hassock, made to go at the foot of a chair.

Necklace: A lighting fixture hung from the ceiling consisting of one or more lamps.

Peninsula: An area of cupboards or counter attached to the cooking area that can be accessed via one to 3 sides.

Picture Plane: The aircraft on which the picture is checked out.

Picture Rail: A straight trim piece set up high up on a wall as a means of hanging photos without puncturing the wall with nails.

Pocket Door: A door that slides horizontally on a track and is typically relocated inside a wall for storage.

Primaries: The 3 fundamental shades of which all other shades are comprised of: red, yellow and blue.

R&R: Get Rid Of and Replace. It's a term describing a simple renovation project that entails eliminating and changing cabinets, fixtures and appliances without structural or mechanical modifications.

Reclaim: To make use of an item again after its initial use.

Replacement Variable: The percentage of time that a thing will require replacement.

Runner: A long slim area rug made to go in a hallway or entrance hall.

Range: The amount of the services and products to be provided as a job.

Service Access: A 2nd, casual entrance to the home, used for generating grocery stores and supplies. It's usually near the cooking area, garage or carport.

Settee: A long wood or upholstered bench with a back, made to seat two or even more people.

Slipcover: A detachable material cover for a chair, sofa or seat.

Soffit: A reduced portion of a ceiling.

Sub-Flooring: The floor covering used directly to the flooring joist on top of which the ended up flooring relaxes.

Task Lighting: A lighting resource routed to a certain function within a space. Reviewing lights in a living-room or under-counter lights in a kitchen area are examples of task lights.

Color: Any type of shade combined with white (i.e. all light shades are colors).

Tone: Any type of shade combined with grey (most warm-looking shades are tones).

Torchere: A flooring lamp that guides light up to give ambient room lights.

Tufting: The upholstery procedure of securely gathering material over a padded base and protecting the gathered portion to a dealt with backing making use of stitching or switches. This procedure develops tiny patchworks of material, known as "tufts".

Universal Layout: The layout of products and atmospheres to be useable by all people to the greatest degree possible.

Valance: An ornamental home window treatment placed across the top of a window (outside the casing). They are generally integrated with blinds, curtain panels, or sheers.

Vanity: Restroom closet with the lavatory on the type.

Veneer: A thin layer of wood created by peeling off the trunk of a tree on a roller to produce long sheets with a regular grain pattern. This layer is then related to a strong or fiber board backing to create a more uniform appearance.

Vintage: Furniture and ornamental elements that are between 10 and 100 years old. Aspects are usually discovered at flea markets, garage sales and specialized "vintage" stores.

Wainscoting: Paneling on the lower half of a wall that differs from the top half. A chair rail generally separates it.

Work Aisle: Area needed to work at the cooking area job facilities.