Interior Decoration Glossary

Embellishing a home is no simple task and when your interior decorator is spraying terms like ballast, chair rail and gate-leg table, it can become quite confusing. That is why I am here to provide our reference of interior decoration.

All the terms listed below may or may not be made use of when reviewing your interior decoration strategies with an expert or producer. By knowing, or simply keeping record of all the terms listed below, you can negotiate and develop with the best of them.

Did we miss out on a term? Include your own in the remarks section listed below.

Ambient: The ecological problems in the room.

Ambient Lighting: General lighting diffused within a whole room.

Accessories: Tiny objects such as flower holders, publications, lights, plants, florals and sculptures made use of to personalize a space.

Ballast: A device that controls the present in a fluorescent light.

Base Cabinets: Kitchen cabinetry made use of on the flooring to provide countertop support and is usually 34 1/2 inches tall and 24 inches deep.

Beveled Glass: Clear or mirrored glass in which the side boundary (generally 1" vast) has been cut at an angle to accomplish a different aesthetic effect. On clear glass, it develops a distorted prism effect, and on mirrored glass, it adds a reflective "sparkle".

Boilerplate: The conventional terms and conditions on a purchase order or other paper.

Reinforce: A lengthy cushion or padding generally placed on a chair, couch or bed.

Case-Goods: Furniture made of tough materials such as timber, metal, glass or plastic. Examples of case-goods are breasts, tables, dressers, shelfs and closets.

Chair Rail: An item of ornamental molding placed approximately 30" off the flooring to secure wall surfaces from being scraped by chair backs.

Chaise Longue or Lounge: A long, reduced upholstered couch in the shape of a chair that is long enough to sustain the legs.

Traditional Crown Molding: Sort Of crown molding generally made use of to conjunction with added moldings. Traditional crown is bigger and has a lot more ornamental accounts.

Claw Foot Bathtub: A bathtub placed off of the flooring on four legs. The base of each leg is formed like a claw foot.

Clear Floor Space: A location that is devoid of blockage. The term is usually made use of in kitchen areas of the referrals for clearances at an appliances or work facility.

Shade Performance: An index of how light makes objects appear.

Console Sink: A sink basin supported by legs, which can be metal or wood.

Console Table: A lengthy slim table made use of for presenting ornamental objects, lighting, florals, etc. It's commonly placed in a foyer or behind a couch.

Contemporary: The style inherent to the present time. Frequently confused with "contemporary.".

Contrast: The distinction in illumination in between surface areas in the field of view.

Credenza: A large reduced cupboard, generally 30" -36" high with a level top made use of for offering and storage space.

Eco-Friendly: Having little or no influence on the native community.

Egress: A course or opening up for leaving a space or building.

Faux-Finish: A decorative method in which paint or discolor is put on a surface to imitate one more material such as timber, marble or granite.

Feng Shui: Actually translated as wind and water. An ancient Chinese clinical technique based on picking the optimal positioning, plan and selection of objects and surface areas to motivate positive energy or chi.

Fluorescent Lighting: A type of lighting in which an electrical fee is gone through mercury vapor to develop a chain reaction that creates light. It uses far less energy and develops less warm than incandescent or halogen lighting, yet the light quality and color rendering abilities are lessened.

Centerpiece: A visual facility of interest or point of focus in a space.

Gate-Leg Table: A design of drop-leaf table with leaves that are supported by extra legs that turn out like gates.

Green Design: A style, likewise referred to as a sustainable layout or eco-design, which conforms to environmentally seem principles of building, material and energy usage.

Halogen Lighting: A type of lighting in which a tungsten filament is secured right into a small clear vessel and full of a percentage of iodine or bromine to develop a chain reaction that creates light. The light from a halogen bulb is better at presenting shades than standard incandescent or fluorescent light bulbs.

Incandescent Lighting: A type of lighting in which an electric current is gone through a thin filament, heating it to a temperature level that creates light. The enclosing glass bulb contains either a vacuum or an inert gas to stop oxidation of the filament. Incandescent light bulbs are economical and develop excellent all-natural light and color makings, yet use more energy and produce more warm than fluorescent light bulbs.

Knock-Down: Furniture that is sold unassembled or partly put together.

Careless Susan: A corner cupboard in which the racks are placed on an upright axle such that items may be retrieved by pushing on the racks. This kind is generally found in kitchen areas. When pushed on the cupboard, "doors" disclose the racks, which are round with the exception of the ninety-degree cutout where the doors are placed.

Lumbar Cushion: A little rectangle-shaped cushion developed to sustain the lower back. You see these with armchairs and sofas.

Mid-Century Modern: A decorative style first popularized in the late 1940s defined by tidy lines, making use of contemporary materials such as plastic and light weight aluminum, and a sleek marginal profile.

Single: A color scheme constructed around one color, with numerous of its shades and tints.

Mullion: The timber or metal divider panels made use of in between the different panes of glass on multi-paned home windows. Modern home windows commonly feature synthetic ornamental mullions.

Ottoman: An upholstered stool or hassock, developed to address the foot of a chair.

Necklace: A lighting fixture hung from the ceiling containing one or more lights.

Peninsula: A location of closets or counter fastened to the cooking area that can be accessed by means of one to three sides.

Picture Aircraft: The plane on which the picture is viewed.

Picture Rail: A straight trim item installed high up on a wall surface as a way of hanging pictures without piercing the wall surface with nails.

Pocket Door: A door that glides flat on a track and is usually moved inside a wall surface for storage space.

Primary Colors: The three basic shades of which all other shades are consisted of: red, yellow and blue.

R&R: Remove and Replace. It's a term describing a basic renovation job that entails removing and changing cabinets, fixtures and appliances without structural or mechanical modifications.

Recover: To use an item once more after its preliminary usage.

Substitute Variable: The portion of time that a thing will require substitute.

Runner: A lengthy slim rug developed to go in a corridor or foyer.

Scope: The sum of the products and services to be offered as a task.

Service Access: A second, informal entry to the residence, made use of for bringing in grocery stores and products. It's commonly near to the cooking area, garage or carport.

Sofa: A lengthy wood or upholstered bench with a back, developed to seat 2 or more individuals.

Slipcover: A removable fabric cover for a chair, couch or seat.

Soffit: A reduced part of a ceiling.

Sub-Flooring: The flooring used directly to the flooring joist in addition to which the ended up flooring rests.

Job Lighting: A lighting resource directed to a certain purpose within a space. Reading lights in a living room or under-counter lighting in a kitchen area are instances of task lighting.

Color: Any kind of color combined with white (i.e. all light shades are tints).

Tone: Any kind of color combined with grey (most warm-looking shades are tones).

Torchere: A flooring light that routes light up to provide ambient room lighting.

Tufting: The upholstery process of tightly collecting fabric over a cushioned base and safeguarding the collected part to a dealt with support making use of sewing or switches. This process develops tiny patchworks of fabric, referred to as "tufts".

Universal Design: The layout of items and atmospheres to be able to be used by all individuals to the best degree possible.

Frame: A decorative window therapy placed across the top of a home window (outside the housing). They are generally integrated with blinds, curtain panels, or sheers.

Vanity: Bathroom cupboard with the bathroom on the kind.

Veneer: A slim layer of timber developed by peeling off the trunk of a tree on a roller to produce long sheets with a regular grain pattern. This layer is after that put on a solid or fiberboard support to develop a much more uniform look.

Vintage: Furniture and ornamental aspects that are in between 10 and 100 years of ages. Elements are commonly found at flea markets, yard sale and specialty "vintage" retailers.

Wainscoting: Paneling on the lower fifty percent of a wall surface that varies from the top fifty percent. A chair rail generally separates it.

Work Aisle: Space required to work at the cooking area work facilities.