Interior Decoration Glossary

Enhancing a house is no easy job and also when your interior decorator is throwing around terms like ballast, chair rail and also gate-leg table, it can end up being quite complicated. That is why I am below to present our reference of interior decoration.

All the terms below may or may not be used when discussing your interior decoration plans with a specialist or manufacturer. By knowing, or merely maintaining document of all the terms below, you can discuss and also make with the very best of them.

Did we miss a term? Add your own in the comments area below.

Ambient: The ecological problems in the space.

Ambient Lights: General lighting diffused within an entire space.

Accessories: Little things such as flower holders, publications, lamps, plants, florals and also sculptures used to individualize an area.

Ballast: A tool that manages the current in a fluorescent lamp.

Base Cabinets: Cabinets used on the floor to give kitchen counter support and also is normally 34 1/2 inches high and also 24 inches deep.

Beveled Glass: Clear or mirrored glass in which the edge boundary (usually 1" large) has been reduced at an angle to attain a different visual impact. On clear glass, it produces an altered prism impact, and also on mirrored glass, it includes a reflective "sparkle".

Boilerplate: The standard terms on an order or other paper.

Strengthen: A lengthy pillow or pillow usually put on a chair, couch or bed.

Case-Goods: Furniture made from hard materials such as wood, steel, glass or plastic. Instances of case-goods are breasts, tables, cabinets, shelfs and also closets.

Chair Rail: An item of ornamental molding put around 30" off the floor to secure wall surfaces from being scraped by chair backs.

Chaise Longue or Lounge: A long, reduced upholstered sofa in the form of a chair that is long sufficient to sustain the legs.

Traditional Crown Molding: Kind Of crown molding usually used to combination with added moldings. Traditional crown is larger and also has extra ornamental profiles.

Claw Foot Tub: A bathtub mounted off of the floor on four legs. The base of each leg is formed like a claw foot.

Clear Floor Room: An area that is devoid of obstruction. The term is normally used in kitchen areas of the suggestions for clearances at an appliances or job facility.

Color Rendition: An index of exactly how light makes things appear.

Console Sink: A sink basin supported by legs, which can be steel or wooden.

Console Table: A lengthy narrow table used for presenting ornamental things, illumination, florals, etc. It's commonly put in an entrance hall or behind a couch.

Contemporary: The design intrinsic to the present time. Commonly puzzled with "modern.".

Comparison: The difference in illumination in between surface areas in the field of sight.

Credenza: A big reduced cupboard, usually 30" -36" high with a level top used for offering and also storage space.

Eco-Friendly: Having little or no influence on the indigenous ecosystem.

Egress: A course or opening for exiting an area or building.

Faux-Finish: A decorative strategy in which paint or stain is put on a surface area to simulate an additional material such as wood, marble or granite.

Feng Shui: Essentially converted as wind and also water. An old Chinese scientific practice based on choosing the optimum placement, arrangement and also option of things and also surface areas to urge favorable energy or chi.

Fluorescent Lights: A type of illumination in which an electrical cost is gone through mercury vapor to develop a chemical reaction that generates light. It makes use of far less energy and also produces less warm than incandescent or halogen illumination, yet the light high quality and also shade making abilities are lessened.

Focal Point: A visual facility of rate of interest or factor of focus in an area.

Gate-Leg Table: A design of drop-leaf table with fallen leaves that are supported by extra legs that swing out like entrances.

Environment-friendly Style: A design, additionally referred to as a lasting style or eco-design, which complies with ecologically sound principles of building, material and also energy use.

Halogen Lights: A type of illumination in which a tungsten filament is sealed into a small clear vessel and also filled with a small amount of iodine or bromine to develop a chemical reaction that generates light. The light from a halogen bulb is much better at presenting shades than typical incandescent or fluorescent bulbs.

Incandescent Lights: A type of illumination in which an electric current is gone through a thin filament, warming it to a temperature level that generates light. The confining glass bulb contains either a vacuum cleaner or an inert gas to stop oxidation of the filament. Incandescent bulbs are inexpensive and also develop great natural light and also shade renderings, yet make use of even more energy and also create even more warm than fluorescent bulbs.

Knock-Down: Furniture that is sold unassembled or partially set up.

Careless Susan: A corner cupboard in which the racks are mounted on an upright axle such that things may be recovered by pushing on the racks. This type is usually found in kitchen areas. When pushed on the cupboard, "doors" disclose the racks, which are round besides the ninety-degree cutout where the doors are mounted.

Lumbar Cushion: A little rectangle-shaped pillow developed to sustain the reduced back. You see these with armchairs and also sofas.

Mid-Century Modern: A decorative design initial popularized in the late 1940s characterized by clean lines, making use of modern materials such as plastic and also light weight aluminum, and also a smooth marginal profile.

Monochromatic: A color design built around one tone, with numerous of its shades and also tints.

Mullion: The wood or steel dividers used in between the different panes of glass on multi-paned windows. Modern windows commonly include fake ornamental mullions.

Ottoman: An upholstered feces or hassock, developed to go at the foot of a chair.

Necklace: A lighting component hung from the ceiling consisting of several lamps.

Peninsula: An area of closets or counter fastened to the kitchen that can be accessed via one to three sides.

Picture Aircraft: The plane on which the picture is checked out.

Picture Rail: A straight trim piece mounted high up on a wall surface as a means of hanging photos without piercing the wall surface with nails.

Pocket Door: A door that moves horizontally on a track and also is normally moved inside a wall surface for storage space.

Primaries: The three fundamental shades of which all other shades are comprised of: red, yellow and also blue.

R&R: Eliminate and also Replace. It's a term explaining a basic makeover job that includes removing and also changing cabinets, fixtures and also home appliances without architectural or mechanical changes.

Redeem: To make use of a product once again after its first use.

Replacement Aspect: The percent of time that an item will require substitute.

Jogger: A lengthy narrow rug developed to go in a corridor or foyer.

Scope: The sum of the product or services to be given as a project.

Solution Entry: A 2nd, informal entry to the house, used for bringing in grocery stores and also products. It's commonly near to the kitchen, garage or carport.

Settee: A lengthy wooden or upholstered bench with a back, developed to seat two or even more individuals.

Slipcover: A removable textile cover for a chair, couch or loveseat.

Soffit: A lowered portion of a ceiling.

Sub-Flooring: The floor covering used directly to the floor joist in addition to which the ended up floor rests.

Job Lights: A lighting source directed to a certain objective within an area. Reading lights in a living-room or under-counter illumination in a cooking area are instances of job illumination.

Color: Any kind of shade mixed with white (i.e. all pastel shades are tints).

Tone: Any kind of shade mixed with gray (most warm-looking shades are tones).

Torchere: A floor lamp that directs light up to give ambient space illumination.

Tufting: The upholstery process of snugly gathering textile over a padded base and also safeguarding the collected portion to a taken care of support using stitching or buttons. This process produces tiny quilts of textile, referred to as "tufts".

Universal Style: The style of products and also environments to be able to be used by all individuals to the best degree possible.

Valance: A decorative window treatment mounted throughout the top of a window (outside the covering). They are usually integrated with blinds, drape panels, or sheers.

Vanity: Restroom cupboard with the bathroom on the type.

Veneer: A slim layer of wood produced by peeling the trunk of a tree on a roller to create long sheets with a constant grain pattern. This layer is then put on a solid or fiber board support to develop a more consistent appearance.

Vintage: Furniture and also ornamental aspects that are in between 10 and also 100 years of ages. Components are commonly found at flea markets, yard sales and also specialty "vintage" stores.

Wainscoting: Paneling on the reduced fifty percent of a wall surface that differs from the top fifty percent. A chair rail usually separates it.

Job Aisle: Room required to operate at the kitchen job facilities.