Interior Decoration Glossary

Enhancing a home is no easy task and when your interior decorator is throwing around terms like ballast, chair rail and gate-leg table, it can come to be fairly complex. That is why I am right here to present our reference of interior decoration.

All the terms below may or may not be used when discussing your interior decoration plans with a specialist or supplier. By understanding, or simply keeping document of all the terms below, you can negotiate and make with the best of them.

Did we miss out on a term? Include your own in the comments area below.

Ambient: The ecological conditions in the space.

Ambient Illumination: General lighting diffused within a whole space.

Devices: Tiny things such as vases, books, lamps, plants, florals and sculptures used to personalize a room.

Ballast: A gadget that controls the current in a fluorescent lamp.

Base Cabinets: Kitchen cabinetry used on the floor to offer counter top support and is typically 34 1/2 inches high and 24 inches deep.

Beveled Glass: Clear or mirrored glass in which the edge boundary (normally 1" large) has been reduced at an angle to achieve a contrasting visual result. On clear glass, it develops a distorted prism result, and on mirrored glass, it includes a reflective "sparkle".

Boilerplate: The standard terms on a purchase order or various other record.

Boost: A lengthy pillow or cushion normally placed on a chair, couch or bed.

Case-Goods: Furnishings made from tough materials such as wood, steel, glass or plastic. Examples of case-goods are chests, tables, cabinets, bookshelves and closets.

Chair Rail: A piece of decorative molding positioned around 30" off the floor to safeguard walls from being scraped by chair backs.

Chaise Longue or Lounge: A long, reduced upholstered couch in the shape of a chair that is long sufficient to sustain the legs.

Timeless Crown Molding: Kind Of crown molding normally used to conjunction with extra moldings. Timeless crown is larger and has a lot more decorative profiles.

Claw Foot Tub: A tub placed off of the floor on four legs. The base of each leg is shaped like a claw foot.

Clear Flooring Space: An area that is devoid of obstruction. The term is typically used in kitchen areas in reference to the recommendations for clearances at a home appliances or job center.

Shade Performance: An index of just how light makes things appear.

Console Sink: A sink container sustained by legs, which can be steel or wooden.

Console Table: A lengthy narrow table used for presenting decorative things, lights, florals, etc. It's commonly positioned in a foyer or behind a sofa.

Contemporary: The style intrinsic to the here and now time. Often puzzled with "modern-day.".

Contrast: The distinction in illumination in between surfaces in the field of sight.

Credenza: A big reduced closet, normally 30" -36" high with a flat top used for offering and storage space.

Eco-Friendly: Having little or no effect on the indigenous ecological community.

Egress: A course or opening for leaving a room or building.

Faux-Finish: A decorative method in which paint or stain is applied to a surface to simulate another material such as wood, marble or granite.

Feng Shui: Literally translated as wind and water. An old Chinese clinical practice based on picking the optimal placement, plan and option of things and surfaces to motivate positive energy or chi.

Fluorescent Illumination: A kind of lights in which an electrical cost is gone through mercury vapor to create a chain reaction that creates light. It makes use of far much less energy and develops much less warmth than incandescent or halogen lights, but the light high quality and shade making capabilities are decreased.

Focal Point: A visual center of passion or factor of focus in a room.

Gate-Leg Table: A design of drop-leaf table with leaves that are sustained by extra legs that swing out like entrances.

Green Layout: A layout, additionally described as a sustainable layout or eco-design, which complies with environmentally appear concepts of building, material and energy usage.

Halogen Illumination: A kind of lights in which a tungsten filament is sealed into a small clear vessel and full of a small amount of iodine or bromine to create a chain reaction that creates light. The light from a halogen light bulb is much better at presenting colors than standard incandescent or fluorescent light bulbs.

Incandescent Illumination: A kind of lights in which an electrical current is gone through a thin filament, warming it to a temperature that creates light. The enclosing glass light bulb consists of either a vacuum or an inert gas to prevent oxidation of the filament. Incandescent light bulbs are cost-effective and create excellent natural light and shade renderings, but use even more energy and produce even more warmth than fluorescent light bulbs.

Knock-Down: Furnishings that is sold unassembled or partially set up.

Careless Susan: An edge closet in which the shelves are placed on a vertical axle such that products may be fetched by pushing on the shelves. This kind is normally located in kitchen areas. When pushed on the closet, "doors" reveal the shelves, which are circular except for the ninety-degree cutout where the doors are placed.

Lumbar Pillow: A little rectangular pillow created to sustain the lower back. You see these with elbow chairs and couches.

Mid-Century Modern: A decorative style initial popularized in the late 1940s identified by clean lines, the use of modern-day materials such as plastic and aluminum, and a sleek minimal account.

Monochromatic: A color pattern developed around one tone, with numerous of its tones and colors.

Mullion: The wood or steel dividers used in between the different panes of glass on multi-paned windows. Modern windows commonly feature fake decorative mullions.

Ottoman: An upholstered feces or hassock, created to go at the foot of a chair.

Pendant: A lights fixture hung from the ceiling consisting of one or more lamps.

Peninsula: An area of closets or counter attached to the kitchen that can be accessed using one to 3 sides.

Picture Plane: The aircraft on which the picture is watched.

Picture Rail: A straight trim item set up high up on a wall surface as a way of hanging photos without puncturing the wall surface with nails.

Pocket Door: A door that slides horizontally on a track and is typically relocated inside a wall surface for storage space.

Primaries: The 3 standard colors of which all various other colors are included: red, yellow and blue.

R&R: Get Rid Of and Change. It's a term describing a straightforward improvement job that includes eliminating and replacing kitchen cabinetry, components and home appliances without structural or mechanical changes.

Recover: To use an item once more after its first usage.

Substitute Aspect: The portion of time that a thing will certainly call for replacement.

Runner: A lengthy narrow rug created to enter a corridor or foyer.

Extent: The sum of the services and products to be offered as a job.

Service Access: A second, casual entry to the residence, used for bringing in grocery stores and materials. It's commonly close to the kitchen, garage or carport.

Sofa: A lengthy wooden or upholstered bench with a back, created to seat two or even more people.

Slipcover: A detachable material cover for a chair, couch or loveseat.

Soffit: A decreased section of a ceiling.

Sub-Flooring: The flooring used directly to the floor joist on top of which the finished floor rests.

Job Illumination: A lights source routed to a specific function within a room. Checking out lights in a living room or under-counter lights in a cooking area are examples of task lights.

Color: Any kind of shade combined with white (i.e. all light colors are colors).

Tone: Any kind of shade combined with gray (most warm-looking colors are tones).

Torchere: A floor lamp that routes light up to offer ambient space lights.

Tufting: The furniture process of snugly collecting material over a cushioned base and protecting the collected section to a fixed backing using stitching or switches. This process develops little quilts of material, referred to as "tufts".

Universal Layout: The layout of products and atmospheres to be useable by all people to the greatest degree possible.

Valance: A decorative home window treatment placed across the top of a home window (outside the covering). They are normally incorporated with blinds, drape panels, or sheers.

Vanity: Restroom closet with the bathroom on the kind.

Veneer: A slim layer of wood produced by peeling off the trunk of a tree on a roller to generate long sheets with a constant grain pattern. This layer is then applied to a solid or fiberboard backing to create a much more uniform look.

Vintage: Furnishings and decorative elements that are in between 10 and 100 years old. Aspects are commonly located at flea markets, yard sale and specialized "vintage" stores.

Wainscoting: Paneling on the lower half of a wall surface that differs from the top half. A chair rail normally separates it.

Work Aisle: Space required to work at the kitchen job facilities.