Interior Decoration Glossary

Embellishing a house is no simple task and when your interior decorator is throwing around terms like ballast, chair rail and gate-leg table, it can become quite complex. That is why I am right here to present our reference of interior design.

All the terms below may or may not be made use of when discussing your interior design plans with an expert or supplier. By understanding, or simply maintaining record of all the terms below, you can discuss and make with the most effective of them.

Did we miss a term? Add your very own in the comments area below.

Ambient: The environmental conditions in the area.

Ambient Lighting: General lighting diffused within a whole area.

Accessories: Little objects such as vases, publications, lights, plants, florals and sculptures made use of to customize a space.

Ballast: A device that manages the present in a fluorescent light.

Base Cabinets: Cabinetry made use of on the flooring to supply countertop assistance and is usually 34 1/2 inches tall and 24 inches deep.

Beveled Glass: Clear or mirrored glass in which the edge boundary (typically 1" wide) has been reduced at an angle to attain a contrasting aesthetic impact. On clear glass, it produces an altered prism impact, and on mirrored glass, it includes a reflective "shimmer".

Boilerplate: The common terms on a purchase order or various other record.

Bolster: A lengthy pillow or padding typically positioned on a chair, couch or bed.

Case-Goods: Furnishings made from hard products such as timber, steel, glass or plastic. Examples of case-goods are upper bodies, tables, dressers, shelfs and cabinets.

Chair Rail: An item of decorative molding positioned around 30" off the flooring to shield walls from being scraped by chair backs.

Chaise Longue or Lounge: A long, low upholstered couch in the form of a chair that is long enough to support the legs.

Traditional Crown Molding: Sort Of crown molding typically made use of to conjunction with additional moldings. Traditional crown is larger and has much more decorative accounts.

Claw Foot Bathtub: A bathtub installed off of the flooring on 4 legs. The base of each leg is formed like a claw foot.

Clear Flooring Room: An area that is without blockage. The term is usually made use of in cooking areas in reference to the recommendations for clearances at an appliances or work center.

Color Rendition: An index of just how light makes objects appear.

Console Sink: A sink container sustained by legs, which can be steel or wooden.

Console Table: A lengthy narrow table made use of for showing decorative objects, lights, florals, etc. It's typically positioned in an entrance hall or behind a sofa.

Contemporary: The style integral to the present time. Often confused with "contemporary.".

Contrast: The difference in brightness between surfaces in the field of view.

Credenza: A big low cupboard, typically 30" -36" high with a level top made use of for offering and storage.

Eco-Friendly: Having little or no effect on the indigenous community.

Egress: A path or opening for exiting a space or structure.

Faux-Finish: An ornamental technique in which paint or tarnish is applied to a surface area to replicate another product such as timber, marble or granite.

Feng Shui: Literally converted as wind and water. An old Chinese scientific practice based on choosing the ideal placement, plan and choice of objects and surfaces to encourage favorable energy or chi.

Fluorescent Lighting: A type of lights in which an electric cost is gone through mercury vapor to create a chemical reaction that creates light. It utilizes much less energy and produces less warm than incandescent or halogen lights, however the light quality and shade rendering capabilities are lessened.

Centerpiece: A visual center of passion or point of emphasis in a space.

Gate-Leg Table: A style of drop-leaf table with leaves that are sustained by extra legs that swing out like gates.

Green Design: A design, likewise described as a lasting design or eco-design, which adapts ecologically sound concepts of structure, product and energy use.

Halogen Lighting: A type of lights in which a tungsten filament is sealed right into a portable transparent vessel and full of a percentage of iodine or bromine to create a chemical reaction that creates light. The light from a halogen bulb is better at showing colors than typical incandescent or fluorescent light bulbs.

Incandescent Lighting: A type of lights in which an electrical current is gone through a thin filament, heating it to a temperature level that creates light. The confining glass bulb has either a vacuum cleaner or an inert gas to stop oxidation of the filament. Incandescent light bulbs are low-cost and create great natural light and shade renderings, however utilize more energy and produce more warm than fluorescent light bulbs.

Knock-Down: Furnishings that is marketed unassembled or partly assembled.

Lazy Susan: A corner cupboard in which the racks are installed on a vertical axle such that things may be retrieved by pushing on the racks. This kind is typically located in cooking areas. When pushed on the cupboard, "doors" reveal the racks, which are round besides the ninety-degree intermediary where the doors are installed.

Lumbar Cushion: A little rectangular pillow designed to support the lower back. You see these with elbow chairs and sofas.

Mid-Century Modern: An ornamental style very first promoted in the late 1940s identified by clean lines, using contemporary products such as plastic and aluminum, and a streamlined very little profile.

Single: A color design developed around one shade, with numerous of its tones and colors.

Mullion: The timber or steel divider panels made use of between the different panes of glass on multi-paned windows. Modern windows typically feature synthetic decorative mullions.

Ottoman: An upholstered stool or hassock, designed to address the foot of a chair.

Pendant: A lighting component hung from the ceiling consisting of one or more lights.

Peninsula: An area of cabinets or counter fastened to the kitchen that can be accessed using one to three sides.

Picture Airplane: The plane on which the picture is seen.

Picture Rail: A straight trim piece mounted high up on a wall surface as a way of hanging pictures without piercing the wall surface with nails.

Pocket Door: A door that glides flat on a track and is usually relocated inside a wall surface for storage.

Primaries: The three fundamental colors of which all various other colors are comprised of: red, yellow and blue.

R&R: Eliminate and Change. It's a term defining an easy remodeling job that includes removing and changing kitchen cabinetry, fixtures and appliances without structural or mechanical changes.

Recover: To utilize a product once again after its first use.

Substitute Aspect: The portion of time that a thing will call for substitute.

Runner: A lengthy narrow rug designed to go in a corridor or entrance hall.

Range: The sum of the services and products to be offered as a project.

Service Access: A second, informal entrance to the residence, made use of for generating groceries and products. It's typically close to the kitchen, garage or carport.

Sofa: A lengthy wooden or upholstered bench with a back, designed to seat 2 or more individuals.

Slipcover: A detachable material cover for a chair, couch or loveseat.

Soffit: A lowered section of a ceiling.

Sub-Flooring: The floor covering applied directly to the flooring joist in addition to which the completed flooring rests.

Task Lighting: A lighting source directed to a particular purpose within a space. Reading lights in a living-room or under-counter lights in a kitchen area are examples of task lights.

Color: Any type of shade mixed with white (i.e. all pastel colors are colors).

Tone: Any type of shade mixed with grey (most warm-looking colors are tones).

Torchere: A flooring light that guides light upward to supply ambient area lights.

Tufting: The furniture procedure of tightly collecting material over a cushioned base and securing the gathered section to a taken care of backing using sewing or switches. This procedure produces small quilts of material, referred to as "tufts".

Universal Design: The design of products and environments to be able to be used by all individuals to the greatest level possible.

Frame: An ornamental window therapy installed across the top of a home window (outside the housing). They are typically integrated with blinds, curtain panels, or sheers.

Vanity: Restroom cupboard with the bathroom on the kind.

Veneer: A slim layer of timber produced by peeling off the trunk of a tree on a roller to produce lengthy sheets with a consistent grain pattern. This layer is then applied to a strong or fiberboard backing to create an extra uniform look.

Vintage: Furnishings and decorative components that are between 10 and 100 years old. Aspects are typically located at flea markets, garage sales and specialized "vintage" stores.

Wainscoting: Paneling on the lower half of a wall surface that differs from the upper half. A chair rail typically separates it.

Work Aisle: Room needed to work at the kitchen work facilities.