Interior Design Glossary

Enhancing a home is no simple job and when your interior decorator is spraying terms like ballast, chair rail and gate-leg table, it can end up being quite confusing. That is why I am right here to offer our glossary of interior decoration.

All the terms listed below might or might not be used when discussing your interior decoration strategies with an expert or maker. By knowing, or simply maintaining document of all the terms listed below, you can work out and make with the most effective of them.

Did we miss out on a term? Add your own in the remarks area listed below.

Ambient: The environmental problems in the space.

Ambient Illumination: General lighting diffused within a whole space.

Devices: Small objects such as vases, books, lamps, plants, florals and sculptures used to customize a room.

Ballast: A tool that regulates the present in a fluorescent light.

Base Cabinets: Cabinets used on the floor to give kitchen counter support and is generally 34 1/2 inches tall and 24 inches deep.

Beveled Glass: Clear or mirrored glass in which the side border (normally 1" large) has actually been cut at an angle to accomplish a different aesthetic impact. On clear glass, it creates a distorted prism impact, and on mirrored glass, it adds a reflective "sparkle".

Boilerplate: The typical terms on an order or various other record.

Strengthen: A long pillow or pillow normally placed on a chair, couch or bed.

Case-Goods: Furnishings made from tough materials such as timber, metal, glass or plastic. Examples of case-goods are upper bodies, tables, cabinets, shelfs and cabinets.

Chair Rail: An item of ornamental molding positioned roughly 30" off the floor to secure walls from being scraped by chair backs.

Chaise Longue or Lounge: A long, low upholstered couch in the form of a chair that is long sufficient to sustain the legs.

Classic Crown Molding: Type of crown molding normally used to combination with added moldings. Classic crown is larger and has much more ornamental profiles.

Claw Foot Tub: A bathtub placed off of the floor on four legs. The base of each leg is shaped like a claw foot.

Clear Flooring Room: A location that is without obstruction. The term is generally used in kitchens in reference to the referrals for clearances at a home appliances or job facility.

Shade Performance: An index of exactly how light makes objects appear.

Console Sink: A sink basin supported by legs, which can be metal or wooden.

Console Table: A long narrow table used for displaying ornamental objects, lights, florals, and so on. It's commonly positioned in an entrance hall or behind a sofa.

Contemporary: The design inherent to the present time. Frequently perplexed with "modern.".

Contrast: The distinction in illumination in between surface areas in the field of view.

Credenza: A big low cabinet, normally 30" -36" high with a level top used for offering and storage.

Eco-Friendly: Having little or no effect on the indigenous ecosystem.

Egress: A path or opening up for exiting a room or building.

Faux-Finish: An ornamental method in which paint or stain is put on a surface to imitate another product such as timber, marble or granite.

Feng Shui: Essentially equated as wind and water. An ancient Chinese scientific technique based upon selecting the optimal positioning, arrangement and selection of objects and surface areas to encourage favorable energy or chi.

Fluorescent Illumination: A type of lights in which an electrical charge is travelled through mercury vapor to develop a chemical reaction that produces light. It utilizes far less energy and creates less warm than incandescent or halogen lights, yet the light quality and color making capabilities are diminished.

Prime focus: A visual facility of rate of interest or point of focus in a room.

Gate-Leg Table: A style of drop-leaf table with fallen leaves that are supported by added legs that turn out like gates.

Eco-friendly Style: A style, also referred to as a sustainable design or eco-design, which conforms to environmentally seem principles of building, product and energy use.

Halogen Illumination: A type of lights in which a tungsten filament is sealed into a small clear vessel and filled with a percentage of iodine or bromine to develop a chemical reaction that produces light. The light from a halogen bulb is better at displaying shades than conventional incandescent or fluorescent light bulbs.

Incandescent Illumination: A type of lights in which an electric current is travelled through a slim filament, heating it to a temperature level that produces light. The confining glass bulb consists of either a vacuum or an inert gas to stop oxidation of the filament. Incandescent light bulbs are affordable and develop good all-natural light and color makings, yet utilize even more energy and create even more warm than fluorescent light bulbs.

Knock-Down: Furnishings that is sold unassembled or partially set up.

Lazy Susan: A corner cabinet in which the shelves are placed on a vertical axle such that products might be retrieved by pushing on the shelves. This type is normally found in kitchens. When pushed on the cabinet, "doors" reveal the shelves, which are circular with the exception of the ninety-degree intermediary where the doors are placed.

Lumbar Pillow: A small rectangle-shaped pillow designed to sustain the reduced back. You see these with elbow chairs and couches.

Mid-Century Modern: An ornamental design initial popularized in the late 1940s identified by tidy lines, using modern materials such as plastic and aluminum, and a smooth marginal profile.

Monochromatic: A color pattern built around one tone, with numerous of its tones and tints.

Mullion: The timber or metal divider panels used in between the various panes of glass on multi-paned home windows. Modern home windows commonly include faux ornamental mullions.

Footrest: An upholstered stool or hassock, designed to address the foot of a chair.

Pendant: An illumination fixture hung from the ceiling having one or more lamps.

Peninsula: A location of cabinets or counter attached to the kitchen area that can be accessed by means of one to 3 sides.

Image Plane: The aircraft on which the picture is checked out.

Image Rail: A straight trim piece installed high up on a wall surface as a means of hanging images without penetrating the wall with nails.

Pocket Door: A door that slides flat on a track and is generally relocated inside a wall surface for storage.

Primary Colors: The 3 standard shades of which all various other shades are consisted of: red, yellow and blue.

R&R: Eliminate and Replace. It's a term defining a straightforward improvement project that includes getting rid of and changing cabinets, fixtures and home appliances without architectural or mechanical modifications.

Redeem: To utilize a product once again after its initial use.

Replacement Aspect: The portion of time that a product will call for replacement.

Runner: A long narrow rug designed to go in a corridor or entrance hall.

Extent: The amount of the product or services to be supplied as a job.

Solution Access: A 2nd, informal entrance to the house, used for bringing in grocery stores and supplies. It's commonly near the kitchen area, garage or carport.

Sofa: A long wooden or upholstered bench with a back, designed to seat two or even more people.

Slipcover: A detachable material cover for a chair, couch or loveseat.

Soffit: A lowered section of a ceiling.

Sub-Flooring: The flooring used straight to the floor joist on top of which the finished floor rests.

Job Illumination: An illumination source guided to a specific purpose within a room. Reviewing lights in a living room or under-counter lights in a cooking area are examples of job lights.

Tint: Any color combined with white (i.e. all light shades are tints).

Tone: Any color combined with gray (most warm-looking shades are tones).

Torchere: A floor light that directs light upwards to give ambient space lights.

Tufting: The furniture procedure of snugly gathering material over a cushioned base and protecting the collected section to a dealt with backing using stitching or buttons. This procedure creates tiny patchworks of material, called "tufts".

Universal Style: The design of products and settings to be useable by all people to the best degree feasible.

Valance: An ornamental home window treatment placed across the top of a home window (outside the covering). They are normally combined with blinds, curtain panels, or sheers.

Vanity: Bathroom cabinet with the lavatory on the type.

Veneer: A thin layer of timber created by peeling off the trunk of a tree on a roller to generate long sheets with a regular grain pattern. This layer is after that put on a solid or fiberboard backing to develop an extra uniform look.

Vintage: Furnishings and ornamental aspects that are in between 10 and 100 years of ages. Elements are commonly found at flea markets, yard sale and specialty "vintage" sellers.

Wainscoting: Paneling on the reduced fifty percent of a wall surface that varies from the upper fifty percent. A chair rail normally divides it.

Work Aisle: Room required to work at the kitchen area job facilities.