Interior Decoration Glossary

Enhancing a house is no simple task and when your interior decorator is throwing around terms like ballast, chair rail and gate-leg table, it can become rather confusing. That is why I am here to provide our reference of interior decoration.

All the terms below may or may not be used when discussing your interior decoration plans with a professional or producer. By recognizing, or merely maintaining record of all the terms below, you can bargain and design with the best of them.

Did we miss out on a term? Add your own in the remarks area below.

Ambient: The environmental problems in the room.

Ambient Illumination: General lighting diffused within an entire room.

Devices: Little objects such as vases, books, lights, plants, florals and sculptures used to individualize a space.

Ballast: A tool that controls the existing in a fluorescent lamp.

Base Cabinets: Cabinetry used on the floor to give countertop support and is usually 34 1/2 inches tall and 24 inches deep.

Beveled Glass: Clear or mirrored glass in which the edge boundary (generally 1" large) has actually been reduced at an angle to achieve a contrasting visual effect. On clear glass, it creates a distorted prism effect, and on mirrored glass, it includes a reflective "glimmer".

Boilerplate: The standard terms on a purchase order or various other file.

Boost: A long cushion or padding generally placed on a chair, sofa or bed.

Case-Goods: Furnishings made of difficult materials such as timber, steel, glass or plastic. Instances of case-goods are breasts, tables, cabinets, shelfs and cabinets.

Chair Rail: An item of attractive molding placed roughly 30" off the floor to safeguard wall surfaces from being scraped by chair backs.

Chaise Longue or Lounge: A long, reduced upholstered couch in the shape of a chair that is long enough to sustain the legs.

Traditional Crown Molding: Sort Of crown molding generally used to conjunction with added moldings. Traditional crown is bigger and has extra attractive profiles.

Claw Foot Bathtub: A tub mounted off of the floor on four legs. The base of each leg is shaped like a claw foot.

Clear Floor Area: An area that is without obstruction. The term is usually used in kitchens of the suggestions for clearances at a home appliances or job facility.

Shade Performance: An index of how light makes objects show up.

Console Sink: A sink container supported by legs, which can be steel or wooden.

Console Table: A long slim table used for presenting attractive objects, lights, florals, etc. It's typically placed in an entrance hall or behind a couch.

Contemporary: The design integral to the here and now time. Typically confused with "modern.".

Contrast: The difference in brightness between surface areas in the field of sight.

Credenza: A big reduced closet, generally 30" -36" high with a flat top used for serving and storage space.

Eco-Friendly: Having little or no effect on the native community.

Egress: A path or opening for leaving a space or structure.

Faux-Finish: A decorative strategy in which paint or stain is applied to a surface to replicate an additional product such as timber, marble or granite.

Feng Shui: Essentially translated as wind and water. An ancient Chinese clinical method based upon choosing the optimal positioning, setup and selection of objects and surface areas to encourage positive power or chi.

Fluorescent Illumination: A type of lights in which an electrical cost is passed through mercury vapor to develop a chain reaction that generates light. It utilizes far less power and creates less warmth than incandescent or halogen lights, but the light quality and color rendering capabilities are diminished.

Centerpiece: A visual facility of passion or factor of emphasis in a space.

Gate-Leg Table: A design of drop-leaf table with fallen leaves that are supported by extra legs that turn out like gateways.

Environment-friendly Style: A design, likewise described as a lasting style or eco-design, which adapts environmentally seem principles of structure, product and power usage.

Halogen Illumination: A type of lights in which a tungsten filament is secured into a compact transparent vessel and filled with a small amount of iodine or bromine to develop a chain reaction that generates light. The light from a halogen light bulb is better at presenting shades than conventional incandescent or fluorescent bulbs.

Incandescent Illumination: A type of lights in which an electrical current is passed through a thin filament, warming it to a temperature level that generates light. The enclosing glass light bulb contains either a vacuum or an inert gas to avoid oxidation of the filament. Incandescent bulbs are low-cost and develop great all-natural light and color makings, but utilize more power and create more warmth than fluorescent bulbs.

Knock-Down: Furnishings that is sold unassembled or partially constructed.

Lazy Susan: An edge closet in which the racks are mounted on an upright axle such that items may be gotten by pushing on the racks. This type is generally located in kitchens. When pushed on the closet, "doors" expose the racks, which are circular with the exception of the ninety-degree intermediary where the doors are mounted.

Lumbar Cushion: A small rectangle-shaped cushion designed to sustain the reduced back. You see these with elbow chairs and sofas.

Mid-Century Modern: A decorative design initial promoted in the late 1940s defined by tidy lines, using modern materials such as plastic and aluminum, and a streamlined marginal account.

Single: A color pattern developed around one tone, with numerous of its tones and tints.

Mullion: The timber or steel dividers used between the various panes of glass on multi-paned home windows. Modern home windows typically include fake attractive mullions.

Footrest: An upholstered stool or hassock, designed to go at the foot of a chair.

Pendant: A lighting fixture hung from the ceiling including one or more lights.

Peninsula: An area of cabinets or counter attached to the kitchen that can be accessed using one to 3 sides.

Image Aircraft: The aircraft on which the picture is checked out.

Image Rail: A straight trim item mounted high up on a wall as a means of hanging pictures without penetrating the wall with nails.

Pocket Door: A door that moves flat on a track and is usually moved inside a wall for storage space.

Primary Colors: The 3 fundamental shades of which all various other shades are included: red, yellow and blue.

R&R: Eliminate and Change. It's a term explaining an easy makeover job that entails removing and changing cabinets, fixtures and home appliances without architectural or mechanical adjustments.

Redeem: To utilize a product once more after its initial usage.

Substitute Element: The percent of time that a product will call for substitute.

Runner: A long slim area rug designed to enter a corridor or foyer.

Extent: The sum of the product or services to be provided as a job.

Service Entrance: A second, informal entryway to the home, used for bringing in grocery stores and materials. It's typically close to the kitchen, garage or carport.

Settee: A long wooden or upholstered bench with a back, designed to seat 2 or more people.

Slipcover: A detachable textile cover for a chair, sofa or loveseat.

Soffit: A reduced portion of a ceiling.

Sub-Flooring: The floor covering used straight to the floor joist on top of which the finished floor rests.

Task Illumination: A lighting source routed to a details function within a space. Reviewing lights in a living room or under-counter lights in a cooking area are examples of task lights.

Tint: Any type of color combined with white (i.e. all light shades are tints).

Tone: Any type of color combined with gray (most warm-looking shades are tones).

Torchere: A floor lamp that guides light upwards to give ambient room lights.

Tufting: The upholstery process of snugly gathering textile over a padded base and safeguarding the collected portion to a taken care of support making use of sewing or buttons. This process creates small quilts of textile, called "tufts".

Universal Style: The style of products and settings to be useable by all people to the best level possible.

Valance: A decorative home window treatment mounted throughout the top of a window (outside the covering). They are generally combined with blinds, drape panels, or sheers.

Vanity: Shower room closet with the bathroom on the type.

Veneer: A thin layer of timber developed by peeling off the trunk of a tree on a roller to generate long sheets with a constant grain pattern. This layer is then applied to a solid or fiber board support to develop a much more uniform look.

Vintage: Furnishings and attractive components that are between 10 and 100 years of ages. Aspects are typically located at flea markets, garage sales and specialty "vintage" stores.

Wainscoting: Paneling on the reduced fifty percent of a wall that differs from the upper fifty percent. A chair rail generally divides it.

Job Aisle: Area needed to operate at the kitchen job facilities.