Interior Decoration Reference

Decorating a home is no easy job and when your interior decorator is spraying terms like ballast, chair rail and gate-leg table, it can end up being rather confusing. That is why I am right here to provide our glossary of interior design.

All the terms below might or might not be used when discussing your interior design plans with a professional or maker. By understanding, or merely keeping record of all the terms below, you can work out and create with the best of them.

Did we miss a term? Add your very own in the comments section below.

Ambient: The ecological problems in the space.

Ambient Lighting: General lighting diffused within a whole space.

Devices: Tiny items such as flower holders, books, lamps, plants, florals and sculptures used to individualize a space.

Ballast: A device that manages the current in a fluorescent light.

Base Cabinets: Kitchen cabinetry used on the floor to provide counter top support and is commonly 34 1/2 inches high and 24 inches deep.

Beveled Glass: Clear or mirrored glass in which the edge boundary (usually 1" wide) has been reduced at an angle to attain a different visual result. On clear glass, it develops a distorted prism result, and on mirrored glass, it adds a reflective "sparkle".

Boilerplate: The standard terms on an order or other file.

Reinforce: A lengthy cushion or padding usually placed on a chair, couch or bed.

Case-Goods: Furniture made of tough materials such as timber, metal, glass or plastic. Instances of case-goods are breasts, tables, cabinets, shelfs and closets.

Chair Rail: An item of decorative molding placed around 30" off the floor to secure wall surfaces from being scraped by chair backs.

Chaise Longue or Lounge: A long, reduced upholstered couch in the form of a chair that is long enough to support the legs.

Timeless Crown Molding: Kind Of crown molding usually used to conjunction with extra moldings. Timeless crown is bigger and has much more decorative profiles.

Claw Foot Tub: A bathtub mounted off of the floor on 4 legs. The base of each leg is shaped like a claw foot.

Clear Floor Space: An area that is free of blockage. The term is commonly used in cooking areas in reference to the referrals for clearances at an appliances or work center.

Shade Performance: An index of just how light makes items show up.

Console Sink: A sink basin sustained by legs, which can be metal or wooden.

Console Table: A lengthy slim table used for displaying decorative items, lighting, florals, and so on. It's commonly placed in an entrance hall or behind a couch.

Contemporary: The style fundamental to the here and now time. Often perplexed with "modern.".

Comparison: The difference in illumination between surfaces in the field of view.

Credenza: A large reduced closet, usually 30" -36" high with a flat top used for offering and storage space.

Eco-Friendly: Having little or no effect on the native ecological community.

Egress: A course or opening for exiting a space or structure.

Faux-Finish: A decorative technique in which paint or discolor is applied to a surface to simulate an additional product such as timber, marble or granite.

Feng Shui: Essentially converted as wind and water. An ancient Chinese clinical method based upon choosing the optimum positioning, arrangement and selection of items and surfaces to encourage favorable power or chi.

Fluorescent Lighting: A type of lighting in which an electrical fee is gone through mercury vapor to create a chemical reaction that creates light. It uses far much less power and develops much less warmth than incandescent or halogen lighting, yet the light top quality and shade rendering abilities are diminished.

Focal Point: An aesthetic center of rate of interest or factor of emphasis in a space.

Gate-Leg Table: A style of drop-leaf table with fallen leaves that are sustained by added legs that swing out like gates.

Green Style: A style, likewise described as a sustainable layout or eco-design, which complies with environmentally appear principles of structure, product and power use.

Halogen Lighting: A type of lighting in which a tungsten filament is secured into a portable transparent vessel and full of a small amount of iodine or bromine to create a chemical reaction that creates light. The light from a halogen bulb is much better at displaying colors than standard incandescent or fluorescent bulbs.

Incandescent Lighting: A type of lighting in which an electric current is gone through a thin filament, heating it to a temperature that creates light. The confining glass bulb includes either a vacuum or an inert gas to stop oxidation of the filament. Incandescent bulbs are affordable and create excellent all-natural light and shade makings, yet use even more power and produce even more warmth than fluorescent bulbs.

Knock-Down: Furniture that is marketed unassembled or partly set up.

Careless Susan: An edge closet in which the racks are mounted on a vertical axle such that products might be gotten by pushing on the racks. This type is usually located in cooking areas. When pushed on the closet, "doors" reveal the racks, which are circular except for the ninety-degree intermediary where the doors are mounted.

Lumbar Pillow: A little rectangular cushion made to support the reduced back. You see these with armchairs and sofas.

Mid-Century Modern: A decorative style initial popularized in the late 1940s defined by tidy lines, the use of modern materials such as plastic and light weight aluminum, and a streamlined marginal account.

Single: A color pattern developed around one color, with numerous of its shades and tints.

Mullion: The timber or metal divider panels used between the various panes of glass on multi-paned windows. Modern windows commonly feature fake decorative mullions.

Ottoman: An upholstered stool or hassock, made to address the foot of a chair.

Necklace: A lights fixture hung from the ceiling consisting of one or more lamps.

Peninsula: An area of closets or counter fastened to the kitchen area that can be accessed by means of one to three sides.

Photo Airplane: The aircraft on which the picture is viewed.

Photo Rail: A straight trim item set up high up on a wall surface as a way of hanging pictures without puncturing the wall surface with nails.

Pocket Door: A door that moves horizontally on a track and is commonly relocated inside a wall surface for storage space.

Primary Colors: The three basic colors of which all other colors are included: red, yellow and blue.

R&R: Eliminate and Change. It's a term describing a basic renovation project that includes removing and changing kitchen cabinetry, fixtures and devices without structural or mechanical changes.

Reclaim: To use a product again after its first use.

Replacement Factor: The percentage of time that a product will call for substitute.

Runner: A lengthy slim rug made to go in a corridor or entrance hall.

Range: The amount of the services and products to be supplied as a job.

Solution Entrance: A 2nd, casual entry to the house, used for bringing in grocery stores and materials. It's commonly close to the kitchen area, garage or carport.

Settee: A lengthy wooden or upholstered bench with a back, made to seat two or even more individuals.

Slipcover: A detachable fabric cover for a chair, couch or loveseat.

Soffit: A lowered portion of a ceiling.

Sub-Flooring: The floor covering used straight to the floor joist in addition to which the finished floor rests.

Job Lighting: A lights source guided to a specific function within a space. Checking out lights in a living room or under-counter lighting in a cooking area are instances of job lighting.

Tint: Any shade combined with white (i.e. all pastel colors are tints).

Tone: Any shade combined with grey (most warm-looking colors are tones).

Torchere: A floor light that guides light upwards to provide ambient space lighting.

Tufting: The upholstery process of securely gathering fabric over a cushioned base and protecting the collected portion to a repaired backing utilizing sewing or switches. This process develops little quilts of fabric, called "tufts".

Universal Style: The layout of products and settings to be useable by all individuals to the greatest extent feasible.

Frame: A decorative window therapy mounted throughout the top of a window (outside the casing). They are usually combined with blinds, drape panels, or sheers.

Vanity: Washroom closet with the lavatory on the type.

Veneer: A thin layer of timber produced by peeling off the trunk of a tree on a roller to create long sheets with a constant grain pattern. This layer is then applied to a strong or fiber board backing to create an extra uniform look.

Vintage: Furniture and decorative elements that are between 10 and 100 years of ages. Components are commonly located at flea markets, garage sales and specialized "vintage" retailers.

Wainscoting: Paneling on the reduced half of a wall surface that differs from the upper half. A chair rail usually separates it.

Job Aisle: Space required to work at the kitchen area work facilities.