Interior Design Glossary

Decorating a house is no easy task and when your interior decorator is throwing around terms like ballast, chair rail and gate-leg table, it can come to be quite complex. That is why I am below to offer our reference of interior decoration.

All the terms listed below might or might not be utilized when discussing your interior decoration plans with a specialist or manufacturer. By knowing, or simply keeping record of all the terms listed below, you can negotiate and create with the most effective of them.

Did we miss out on a term? Include your very own in the comments section listed below.

Ambient: The environmental conditions in the room.

Ambient Lighting: General lighting diffused within an entire room.

Devices: Tiny items such as vases, books, lamps, plants, florals and sculptures utilized to personalize a room.

Ballast: A gadget that controls the existing in a fluorescent lamp.

Base Cabinets: Kitchen cabinetry utilized on the floor to give countertop assistance and is typically 34 1/2 inches tall and 24 inches deep.

Beveled Glass: Clear or mirrored glass in which the side border (typically 1" wide) has been reduced at an angle to attain a different visual effect. On clear glass, it creates an altered prism effect, and on mirrored glass, it adds a reflective "shimmer".

Boilerplate: The common terms on a purchase order or other paper.

Reinforce: A long cushion or pillow typically placed on a chair, sofa or bed.

Case-Goods: Furniture constructed from difficult materials such as wood, metal, glass or plastic. Examples of case-goods are breasts, tables, cabinets, bookshelves and cabinets.

Chair Rail: An item of decorative molding placed roughly 30" off the floor to protect walls from being scraped by chair backs.

Chaise Longue or Lounge: A long, low upholstered sofa in the form of a chair that is long sufficient to sustain the legs.

Timeless Crown Molding: Sort Of crown molding typically utilized to combination with added moldings. Timeless crown is larger and has extra decorative profiles.

Claw Foot Bathtub: A tub placed off of the floor on 4 legs. The base of each leg is shaped like a claw foot.

Clear Flooring Area: A location that is devoid of obstruction. The term is typically utilized in kitchen areas in reference to the recommendations for clearances at a devices or work facility.

Color Performance: An index of how light makes items show up.

Console Sink: A sink container sustained by legs, which can be metal or wooden.

Console Table: A long narrow table utilized for showing decorative items, illumination, florals, and so on. It's commonly placed in an entrance hall or behind a sofa.

Contemporary: The design inherent to the present time. Usually confused with "contemporary.".

Contrast: The difference in illumination in between surfaces in the field of sight.

Credenza: A huge low cabinet, typically 30" -36" high with a level top utilized for serving and storage space.

Eco-Friendly: Having little or no influence on the indigenous community.

Egress: A course or opening up for leaving a room or building.

Faux-Finish: An ornamental technique in which paint or tarnish is put on a surface to imitate one more material such as wood, marble or granite.

Feng Shui: Essentially converted as wind and water. An ancient Chinese clinical practice based upon choosing the ideal positioning, plan and option of items and surfaces to motivate positive energy or chi.

Fluorescent Lighting: A sort of illumination in which an electric cost is travelled through mercury vapor to produce a chain reaction that generates light. It uses much much less energy and creates much less heat than incandescent or halogen illumination, but the light top quality and shade rendering capacities are lessened.

Prime focus: An aesthetic facility of interest or point of focus in a room.

Gate-Leg Table: A design of drop-leaf table with fallen leaves that are sustained by extra legs that swing out like entrances.

Environment-friendly Style: A style, likewise described as a sustainable design or eco-design, which adapts environmentally sound concepts of building, material and energy use.

Halogen Lighting: A sort of illumination in which a tungsten filament is secured into a portable transparent vessel and loaded with a percentage of iodine or bromine to produce a chain reaction that generates light. The light from a halogen light bulb is much better at showing shades than conventional incandescent or fluorescent bulbs.

Incandescent Lighting: A sort of illumination in which an electrical current is travelled through a thin filament, warming it to a temperature level that generates light. The confining glass light bulb includes either a vacuum or an inert gas to stop oxidation of the filament. Incandescent bulbs are affordable and produce excellent all-natural light and shade makings, but utilize more energy and produce more heat than fluorescent bulbs.

Knock-Down: Furniture that is marketed unassembled or partially put together.

Lazy Susan: An edge cabinet in which the shelves are placed on an upright axle such that things might be fetched by pushing on the shelves. This type is typically discovered in kitchen areas. When pushed on the cabinet, "doors" expose the shelves, which are round except for the ninety-degree intermediary where the doors are placed.

Lumbar Pillow: A tiny rectangular cushion created to sustain the lower back. You see these with armchairs and sofas.

Mid-Century Modern: An ornamental design initial popularized in the late 1940s defined by clean lines, using contemporary materials such as plastic and aluminum, and a streamlined minimal profile.

Monochromatic: A color scheme developed around one hue, with several of its shades and colors.

Mullion: The wood or metal divider panels utilized in between the various panes of glass on multi-paned windows. Modern windows commonly feature faux decorative mullions.

Ottoman: An upholstered stool or hassock, created to address the foot of a chair.

Necklace: A lights fixture hung from the ceiling consisting of several lamps.

Peninsula: A location of cabinets or counter fastened to the kitchen area that can be accessed via one to 3 sides.

Image Airplane: The airplane on which the picture is seen.

Image Rail: A straight trim item installed high up on a wall as a way of hanging photos without piercing the wall surface with nails.

Pocket Door: A door that glides horizontally on a track and is typically relocated inside a wall for storage space.

Primaries: The 3 standard shades of which all other shades are included: red, yellow and blue.

R&R: Get Rid Of and Change. It's a term explaining a simple remodeling task that entails removing and replacing kitchen cabinetry, components and home appliances without structural or mechanical changes.

Reclaim: To utilize a product again after its preliminary use.

Replacement Aspect: The percentage of time that a product will certainly require substitute.

Jogger: A long narrow area rug created to go in a corridor or foyer.

Range: The sum of the services and products to be given as a task.

Solution Access: A second, casual entrance to the residence, utilized for generating grocery stores and supplies. It's commonly close to the kitchen area, garage or carport.

Settee: A long wooden or upholstered bench with a back, created to seat 2 or more individuals.

Slipcover: A removable material cover for a chair, sofa or seat.

Soffit: A lowered part of a ceiling.

Sub-Flooring: The flooring used straight to the floor joist on top of which the completed floor rests.

Job Lighting: A lights source guided to a particular objective within a room. Checking out lights in a living room or under-counter illumination in a kitchen are instances of task illumination.

Tint: Any shade blended with white (i.e. all light shades are colors).

Tone: Any shade blended with grey (most warm-looking shades are tones).

Torchere: A flooring lamp that directs light up to give ambient room illumination.

Tufting: The upholstery process of snugly collecting material over a cushioned base and protecting the gathered part to a fixed backing using stitching or buttons. This process creates little patchworks of material, called "tufts".

Universal Style: The design of items and settings to be able to be used by all individuals to the best extent feasible.

Frame: An ornamental window therapy placed across the top of a home window (outside the case). They are typically incorporated with blinds, curtain panels, or sheers.

Vanity: Bathroom cabinet with the bathroom on the type.

Veneer: A thin layer of wood developed by peeling off the trunk of a tree on a roller to produce lengthy sheets with a constant grain pattern. This layer is then put on a strong or fiberboard backing to produce a more uniform look.

Vintage: Furniture and decorative components that are in between 10 and 100 years old. Elements are commonly discovered at flea markets, yard sale and specialty "vintage" merchants.

Wainscoting: Paneling on the lower half of a wall that varies from the upper half. A chair rail typically divides it.

Job Aisle: Area needed to work at the kitchen area work centers.