Interior Decoration Glossary

Enhancing a house is no easy task and when your interior decorator is throwing around terms like ballast, chair rail and gate-leg table, it can end up being fairly complex. That is why I am right here to offer our reference of interior design.

All the terms below might or might not be used when discussing your interior design strategies with a professional or manufacturer. By knowing, or just keeping record of all the terms below, you can discuss and create with the best of them.

Did we miss a term? Add your own in the comments area below.

Ambient: The ecological problems in the room.

Ambient Lighting: General lighting diffused within a whole room.

Devices: Small items such as vases, books, lights, plants, florals and sculptures used to personalize a space.

Ballast: A tool that controls the current in a fluorescent lamp.

Base Cabinets: Kitchen cabinetry used on the flooring to provide countertop assistance and is generally 34 1/2 inches high and 24 inches deep.

Beveled Glass: Clear or mirrored glass in which the edge border (usually 1" large) has actually been reduced at an angle to attain a different visual result. On clear glass, it creates an altered prism result, and on mirrored glass, it adds a reflective "shimmer".

Boilerplate: The common terms and conditions on an order or other document.

Strengthen: A lengthy pillow or pillow usually placed on a chair, couch or bed.

Case-Goods: Furnishings made of difficult products such as timber, metal, glass or plastic. Instances of case-goods are chests, tables, cabinets, bookshelves and cabinets.

Chair Rail: A piece of ornamental molding placed roughly 30" off the flooring to protect walls from being scraped by chair backs.

Chaise Longue or Lounge: A long, low upholstered sofa in the form of a chair that is long enough to sustain the legs.

Traditional Crown Molding: Kind Of crown molding usually used to combination with added moldings. Traditional crown is bigger and has a lot more ornamental profiles.

Claw Foot Bathtub: A bathtub mounted off of the flooring on 4 legs. The base of each leg is formed like a claw foot.

Clear Flooring Space: An area that is free of obstruction. The term is generally used in kitchens in reference to the recommendations for clearances at a home appliances or job center.

Shade Rendition: An index of just how light makes items appear.

Console Sink: A sink basin sustained by legs, which can be metal or wood.

Console Table: A lengthy slim table used for displaying ornamental items, lighting, florals, etc. It's typically placed in an entrance hall or behind a sofa.

Contemporary: The style inherent to the here and now time. Typically puzzled with "modern.".

Contrast: The difference in brightness between surface areas in the field of view.

Credenza: A huge low cabinet, usually 30" -36" high with a flat top used for offering and storage.

Eco-Friendly: Having little or no effect on the indigenous community.

Egress: A path or opening up for leaving a space or structure.

Faux-Finish: A decorative strategy in which paint or stain is put on a surface area to simulate one more product such as timber, marble or granite.

Feng Shui: Literally converted as wind and water. An old Chinese clinical technique based on selecting the ideal positioning, plan and option of items and surface areas to motivate positive energy or chi.

Fluorescent Lighting: A sort of lighting in which an electric charge is gone through mercury vapor to produce a chemical reaction that creates light. It makes use of far less energy and creates less warm than incandescent or halogen lighting, yet the light top quality and shade rendering capabilities are decreased.

Centerpiece: A visual center of interest or point of focus in a space.

Gate-Leg Table: A design of drop-leaf table with fallen leaves that are sustained by added legs that swing out like gateways.

Environment-friendly Design: A style, likewise described as a lasting layout or eco-design, which conforms to eco seem concepts of structure, product and energy usage.

Halogen Lighting: A sort of lighting in which a tungsten filament is sealed into a portable clear vessel and full of a small amount of iodine or bromine to produce a chemical reaction that creates light. The light from a halogen light bulb is better at displaying shades than traditional incandescent or fluorescent light bulbs.

Incandescent Lighting: A sort of lighting in which an electrical current is gone through a slim filament, heating it to a temperature that creates light. The confining glass light bulb consists of either a vacuum or an inert gas to prevent oxidation of the filament. Incandescent light bulbs are affordable and produce great natural light and shade makings, yet make use of even more energy and create even more warm than fluorescent light bulbs.

Knock-Down: Furnishings that is sold unassembled or partly assembled.

Careless Susan: An edge cabinet in which the racks are mounted on an upright axle such that items might be recovered by pushing on the racks. This kind is usually found in kitchens. When pushed on the cabinet, "doors" expose the racks, which are circular except for the ninety-degree cutout where the doors are mounted.

Lumbar Cushion: A small rectangular pillow made to sustain the lower back. You see these with armchairs and couches.

Mid-Century Modern: A decorative style first popularized in the late 1940s identified by clean lines, the use of modern products such as plastic and light weight aluminum, and a sleek minimal profile.

Monochromatic: A color design developed around one hue, with several of its tones and colors.

Mullion: The timber or metal divider panels used between the various panes of glass on multi-paned home windows. Modern home windows typically include fake ornamental mullions.

Footrest: An upholstered stool or hassock, made to address the foot of a chair.

Pendant: An illumination component hung from the ceiling including several lights.

Peninsula: An area of cabinets or counter fastened to the kitchen area that can be accessed via one to three sides.

Photo Airplane: The aircraft on which the picture is watched.

Photo Rail: A horizontal trim item mounted high up on a wall as a means of hanging pictures without puncturing the wall with nails.

Pocket Door: A door that glides flat on a track and is generally relocated inside a wall for storage.

Primaries: The three fundamental shades of which all other shades are comprised of: red, yellow and blue.

R&R: Eliminate and Replace. It's a term defining an easy remodeling project that involves eliminating and changing cabinets, components and appliances without architectural or mechanical changes.

Reclaim: To make use of a product again after its initial usage.

Replacement Variable: The portion of time that a product will require substitute.

Jogger: A lengthy slim rug made to go in a corridor or foyer.

Extent: The amount of the products and services to be offered as a task.

Service Entrance: A second, casual entry to the house, used for generating grocery stores and materials. It's typically close to the kitchen area, garage or carport.

Settee: A lengthy wood or upholstered bench with a back, made to seat 2 or even more individuals.

Slipcover: A detachable textile cover for a chair, couch or seat.

Soffit: A lowered section of a ceiling.

Sub-Flooring: The floor covering applied directly to the flooring joist in addition to which the finished flooring relaxes.

Task Lighting: An illumination resource directed to a certain objective within a space. Reading lights in a living-room or under-counter lighting in a cooking area are examples of task lighting.

Tint: Any kind of shade combined with white (i.e. all pastel shades are colors).

Tone: Any kind of shade combined with gray (most warm-looking shades are tones).

Torchere: A floor lamp that directs light upward to provide ambient room lighting.

Tufting: The furniture process of securely collecting textile over a padded base and safeguarding the collected section to a repaired backing making use of stitching or switches. This process creates little quilts of textile, known as "tufts".

Universal Design: The layout of products and environments to be useable by all individuals to the best extent feasible.

Frame: A decorative home window treatment mounted throughout the top of a window (outside the case). They are usually combined with blinds, drape panels, or sheers.

Vanity: Bathroom cabinet with the lavatory on the kind.

Veneer: A thin layer of timber produced by peeling off the trunk of a tree on a roller to produce lengthy sheets with a constant grain pattern. This layer is after that put on a strong or fiberboard backing to produce a more consistent look.

Vintage: Furnishings and ornamental aspects that are between 10 and 100 years of ages. Elements are typically found at flea markets, yard sale and specialized "vintage" merchants.

Wainscoting: Paneling on the lower half of a wall that differs from the upper half. A chair rail usually separates it.

Job Aisle: Space needed to operate at the kitchen area job centers.