Interior Design Reference

Embellishing a home is no very easy job and also when your interior decorator is spraying terms like ballast, chair rail and also gate-leg table, it can become rather complicated. That is why I am below to offer our glossary of interior design.

All the terms listed below may or may not be used when discussing your interior design plans with a professional or producer. By knowing, or just maintaining document of all the terms listed below, you can negotiate and also develop with the best of them.

Did we miss a term? Add your own in the remarks area listed below.

Ambient: The ecological conditions in the room.

Ambient Lights: General lighting diffused within a whole room.

Devices: Tiny things such as flower holders, books, lights, plants, florals and also sculptures used to customize a room.

Ballast: A gadget that regulates the existing in a fluorescent light.

Base Cabinets: Cabinetry used on the flooring to supply countertop support and also is commonly 34 1/2 inches tall and also 24 inches deep.

Beveled Glass: Clear or mirrored glass in which the edge border (generally 1" wide) has actually been cut at an angle to attain a contrasting aesthetic result. On clear glass, it creates an altered prism result, and also on mirrored glass, it adds a reflective "shimmer".

Boilerplate: The common conditions on an order or other record.

Reinforce: A lengthy cushion or padding generally placed on a chair, couch or bed.

Case-Goods: Furniture constructed from hard products such as timber, metal, glass or plastic. Examples of case-goods are upper bodies, tables, dressers, bookshelves and also closets.

Chair Rail: An item of ornamental molding positioned about 30" off the flooring to shield walls from being scraped by chair backs.

Chaise Longue or Lounge: A long, low upholstered couch in the shape of a chair that is long sufficient to sustain the legs.

Classic Crown Molding: Type of crown molding generally used to combination with additional moldings. Classic crown is larger and also has more ornamental accounts.

Claw Foot Tub: A tub mounted off of the flooring on four legs. The base of each leg is formed like a claw foot.

Clear Flooring Room: An area that is devoid of blockage. The term is commonly used in kitchen areas in reference to the recommendations for clearances at a home appliances or work center.

Color Performance: An index of just how light makes things show up.

Console Sink: A sink basin sustained by legs, which can be metal or wooden.

Console Table: A lengthy slim table used for presenting ornamental things, lights, florals, and so on. It's usually positioned in an entrance hall or behind a couch.

Contemporary: The design integral to the here and now time. Often confused with "modern-day.".

Contrast: The distinction in brightness between surfaces in the field of sight.

Credenza: A big low closet, generally 30" -36" high with a level top used for serving and also storage space.

Eco-Friendly: Having little or no impact on the native ecological community.

Egress: A course or opening for leaving a room or building.

Faux-Finish: A decorative strategy in which paint or tarnish is applied to a surface area to imitate one more material such as timber, marble or granite.

Feng Shui: Essentially translated as wind and also water. An old Chinese scientific technique based upon picking the ideal placement, arrangement and also option of things and also surfaces to urge positive power or chi.

Fluorescent Lights: A type of lights in which an electric charge is travelled through mercury vapor to develop a chain reaction that produces light. It uses far less power and also creates less warmth than incandescent or halogen lights, but the light top quality and also color rendering capacities are decreased.

Centerpiece: A visual center of passion or point of focus in a room.

Gate-Leg Table: A style of drop-leaf table with leaves that are sustained by extra legs that turn out like gates.

Environment-friendly Layout: A layout, likewise referred to as a lasting design or eco-design, which conforms to ecologically seem concepts of building, material and also power use.

Halogen Lights: A type of lights in which a tungsten filament is sealed into a portable transparent vessel and also full of a small amount of iodine or bromine to develop a chain reaction that produces light. The light from a halogen light bulb is much better at presenting colors than typical incandescent or fluorescent light bulbs.

Incandescent Lights: A type of lights in which an electrical current is travelled through a thin filament, warming it to a temperature level that produces light. The enclosing glass light bulb contains either a vacuum cleaner or an inert gas to stop oxidation of the filament. Incandescent light bulbs are economical and also develop great all-natural light and also color makings, but make use of even more power and also create even more warmth than fluorescent light bulbs.

Knock-Down: Furniture that is offered unassembled or partly constructed.

Lazy Susan: An edge closet in which the racks are mounted on a vertical axle such that products may be retrieved by pushing on the racks. This type is generally located in kitchen areas. When pushed on the closet, "doors" reveal the racks, which are round besides the ninety-degree cutout where the doors are mounted.

Lumbar Cushion: A little rectangular cushion created to sustain the lower back. You see these with armchairs and also couches.

Mid-Century Modern: A decorative design first popularized in the late 1940s characterized by clean lines, the use of modern-day products such as plastic and also aluminum, and also a sleek marginal account.

Single: A color scheme developed around one color, with numerous of its shades and also colors.

Mullion: The timber or metal divider panels used between the different panes of glass on multi-paned windows. Modern windows usually feature faux ornamental mullions.

Ottoman: An upholstered feces or hassock, created to address the foot of a chair.

Necklace: An illumination fixture hung from the ceiling including one or more lights.

Peninsula: An area of closets or counter attached to the kitchen area that can be accessed using one to 3 sides.

Photo Plane: The airplane on which the picture is checked out.

Photo Rail: A horizontal trim item installed high up on a wall surface as a means of hanging photos without piercing the wall surface with nails.

Pocket Door: A door that glides horizontally on a track and also is commonly relocated inside a wall surface for storage space.

Primary Colors: The 3 fundamental colors of which all other colors are included: red, yellow and also blue.

R&R: Eliminate and also Replace. It's a term explaining an easy improvement task that includes getting rid of and also changing kitchen cabinetry, fixtures and also appliances without architectural or mechanical modifications.

Recover: To make use of a product once again after its initial use.

Substitute Aspect: The percentage of time that a thing will certainly require substitute.

Jogger: A lengthy slim rug created to go in a hallway or entrance hall.

Range: The amount of the product or services to be provided as a project.

Service Entry: A second, casual entrance to the house, used for generating grocery stores and also supplies. It's usually near the kitchen area, garage or carport.

Settee: A lengthy wooden or upholstered bench with a back, created to seat two or even more people.

Slipcover: A removable material cover for a chair, couch or seat.

Soffit: A lowered portion of a ceiling.

Sub-Flooring: The flooring used straight to the flooring joist in addition to which the completed flooring relaxes.

Task Lights: An illumination resource routed to a certain objective within a room. Checking out lights in a living-room or under-counter lights in a kitchen area are examples of job lights.

Tint: Any kind of color combined with white (i.e. all pastel colors are colors).

Tone: Any kind of color combined with grey (most warm-looking colors are tones).

Torchere: A flooring light that routes light upwards to supply ambient room lights.

Tufting: The upholstery process of tightly collecting material over a cushioned base and also protecting the collected portion to a taken care of support making use of sewing or buttons. This process creates little patchworks of material, referred to as "tufts".

Universal Layout: The design of items and also settings to be able to be used by all people to the greatest extent feasible.

Valance: A decorative window therapy mounted across the top of a home window (outside the housing). They are generally incorporated with blinds, drape panels, or sheers.

Vanity: Washroom closet with the bathroom on the type.

Veneer: A thin layer of timber produced by peeling the trunk of a tree on a roller to produce long sheets with a regular grain pattern. This layer is after that applied to a strong or fiberboard support to develop a more consistent look.

Vintage: Furniture and also ornamental components that are between 10 and also 100 years of ages. Aspects are usually located at flea markets, yard sale and also specialty "vintage" sellers.

Wainscoting: Paneling on the lower fifty percent of a wall surface that varies from the top fifty percent. A chair rail generally divides it.

Work Aisle: Room needed to work at the kitchen area work centers.