Interior Design Glossary

Decorating a house is no easy task and when your interior decorator is throwing around terms like ballast, chair rail and gate-leg table, it can end up being rather complex. That is why I am here to offer our reference of interior decoration.

All the terms below may or may not be made use of when reviewing your interior decoration strategies with a specialist or maker. By understanding, or merely keeping document of all the terms below, you can negotiate and create with the very best of them.

Did we miss out on a term? Include your own in the remarks section below.

Ambient: The ecological problems in the space.

Ambient Lights: General lighting diffused within a whole space.

Accessories: Tiny things such as flower holders, publications, lamps, plants, florals and sculptures made use of to customize a space.

Ballast: A tool that controls the current in a fluorescent light.

Base Cabinets: Cabinetry made use of on the flooring to supply counter top assistance and is commonly 34 1/2 inches high and 24 inches deep.

Beveled Glass: Clear or mirrored glass in which the side border (generally 1" large) has actually been reduced at an angle to attain a different aesthetic result. On clear glass, it creates a distorted prism result, and on mirrored glass, it includes a reflective "sparkle".

Boilerplate: The typical conditions on an order or other paper.

Strengthen: A long cushion or padding generally put on a chair, sofa or bed.

Case-Goods: Furniture made of hard products such as timber, steel, glass or plastic. Instances of case-goods are breasts, tables, cabinets, shelfs and cabinets.

Chair Rail: An item of decorative molding put around 30" off the flooring to protect walls from being scraped by chair backs.

Chaise Longue or Lounge: A long, reduced upholstered couch in the shape of a chair that is long sufficient to sustain the legs.

Classic Crown Molding: Kind Of crown molding generally made use of to combination with extra moldings. Classic crown is larger and has much more decorative accounts.

Claw Foot Tub: A bathtub mounted off of the flooring on 4 legs. The base of each leg is formed like a claw foot.

Clear Flooring Area: An area that is free of obstruction. The term is commonly made use of in kitchens in reference to the suggestions for clearances at a devices or job center.

Color Rendition: An index of just how light makes things appear.

Console Sink: A sink basin supported by legs, which can be steel or wooden.

Console Table: A long slim table made use of for displaying decorative things, illumination, florals, etc. It's usually put in a foyer or behind a couch.

Contemporary: The style integral to the present time. Frequently confused with "modern-day.".

Comparison: The distinction in illumination between surfaces in the field of sight.

Credenza: A big reduced cupboard, generally 30" -36" high with a level top made use of for serving and storage.

Eco-Friendly: Having little or no effect on the indigenous environment.

Egress: A course or opening up for exiting a space or structure.

Faux-Finish: An attractive method in which paint or discolor is put on a surface to simulate another product such as timber, marble or granite.

Feng Shui: Literally equated as wind and water. An ancient Chinese clinical practice based upon picking the optimal placement, setup and choice of things and surfaces to urge favorable energy or chi.

Fluorescent Lights: A kind of illumination in which an electrical fee is passed through mercury vapor to produce a chemical reaction that generates light. It makes use of much less energy and creates less warmth than incandescent or halogen illumination, but the light quality and color rendering capacities are lessened.

Centerpiece: An aesthetic center of rate of interest or point of focus in a space.

Gate-Leg Table: A design of drop-leaf table with leaves that are supported by additional legs that swing out like gates.

Green Design: A style, also referred to as a lasting design or eco-design, which satisfies ecologically sound concepts of structure, product and energy use.

Halogen Lights: A kind of illumination in which a tungsten filament is secured into a small transparent vessel and loaded with a small amount of iodine or bromine to produce a chemical reaction that generates light. The light from a halogen bulb is much better at displaying shades than conventional incandescent or fluorescent light bulbs.

Incandescent Lights: A kind of illumination in which an electric current is passed through a thin filament, heating it to a temperature that generates light. The confining glass bulb consists of either a vacuum cleaner or an inert gas to avoid oxidation of the filament. Incandescent light bulbs are inexpensive and produce great all-natural light and color renderings, but utilize even more energy and generate even more warmth than fluorescent light bulbs.

Knock-Down: Furniture that is sold unassembled or partly assembled.

Careless Susan: A corner cupboard in which the shelves are mounted on an upright axle such that products may be fetched by pushing on the shelves. This kind is generally discovered in kitchens. When pushed on the cupboard, "doors" disclose the shelves, which are round with the exception of the ninety-degree intermediary where the doors are mounted.

Lumbar Cushion: A little rectangle-shaped cushion developed to sustain the lower back. You see these with elbow chairs and couches.

Mid-Century Modern: An attractive style very first promoted in the late 1940s identified by tidy lines, making use of modern-day products such as plastic and light weight aluminum, and a sleek marginal profile.

Monochromatic: A color design developed around one tone, with numerous of its shades and colors.

Mullion: The timber or steel divider panels made use of between the different panes of glass on multi-paned windows. Modern windows usually feature faux decorative mullions.

Ottoman: An upholstered feces or hassock, developed to address the foot of a chair.

Necklace: A lighting fixture hung from the ceiling containing several lamps.

Peninsula: An area of cabinets or counter secured to the cooking area that can be accessed through one to 3 sides.

Image Airplane: The plane on which the picture is watched.

Image Rail: A straight trim piece set up high up on a wall surface as a means of hanging photos without piercing the wall surface with nails.

Pocket Door: A door that glides horizontally on a track and is commonly moved inside a wall surface for storage.

Primaries: The 3 basic shades of which all other shades are comprised of: red, yellow and blue.

R&R: Get Rid Of and Replace. It's a term explaining a basic makeover project that involves getting rid of and replacing kitchen cabinetry, components and home appliances without structural or mechanical modifications.

Reclaim: To utilize an item once again after its preliminary use.

Substitute Factor: The percentage of time that an item will require replacement.

Runner: A long slim area rug developed to go in a corridor or foyer.

Scope: The sum of the services and products to be provided as a task.

Solution Access: A 2nd, casual entry to the house, made use of for bringing in grocery stores and materials. It's usually near the cooking area, garage or carport.

Sofa: A long wooden or upholstered bench with a back, developed to seat 2 or even more individuals.

Slipcover: A detachable textile cover for a chair, sofa or seat.

Soffit: A reduced part of a ceiling.

Sub-Flooring: The flooring applied straight to the flooring joist on top of which the completed flooring relaxes.

Job Lights: A lighting resource routed to a particular function within a space. Reviewing lights in a living-room or under-counter illumination in a kitchen area are instances of task illumination.

Tint: Any kind of color mixed with white (i.e. all light shades are colors).

Tone: Any kind of color mixed with grey (most warm-looking shades are tones).

Torchere: A flooring light that guides light upward to supply ambient space illumination.

Tufting: The upholstery procedure of securely gathering textile over a padded base and protecting the collected part to a fixed support using sewing or switches. This procedure creates little patchworks of textile, referred to as "tufts".

Universal Design: The design of products and environments to be able to be used by all individuals to the best level feasible.

Frame: An attractive home window treatment mounted throughout the top of a window (outside the case). They are generally incorporated with blinds, drape panels, or sheers.

Vanity: Bathroom cupboard with the bathroom on the kind.

Veneer: A slim layer of timber developed by peeling off the trunk of a tree on a roller to generate lengthy sheets with a regular grain pattern. This layer is after that put on a strong or fiberboard support to produce an extra consistent appearance.

Vintage: Furniture and decorative elements that are between 10 and 100 years old. Aspects are usually discovered at flea markets, yard sales and specialized "vintage" sellers.

Wainscoting: Paneling on the lower fifty percent of a wall surface that varies from the upper fifty percent. A chair rail generally divides it.

Work Aisle: Area required to operate at the cooking area job facilities.