Interior Design Glossary

Embellishing a house is no simple job and when your interior decorator is throwing around terms like ballast, chair rail and gate-leg table, it can end up being rather complicated. That is why I am below to offer our reference of interior design.

All the terms listed below may or may not be used when discussing your interior design plans with a professional or producer. By understanding, or simply maintaining document of all the terms listed below, you can negotiate and design with the very best of them.

Did we miss a term? Include your very own in the remarks area listed below.

Ambient: The ecological problems in the area.

Ambient Illumination: General lighting diffused within a whole area.

Accessories: Small things such as vases, books, lights, plants, florals and sculptures used to personalize an area.

Ballast: A gadget that manages the current in a fluorescent lamp.

Base Cabinets: Kitchen cabinetry used on the flooring to supply kitchen counter support and is generally 34 1/2 inches high and 24 inches deep.

Beveled Glass: Clear or mirrored glass in which the edge perimeter (usually 1" vast) has been reduced at an angle to accomplish a different aesthetic impact. On clear glass, it develops an altered prism impact, and on mirrored glass, it includes a reflective "sparkle".

Boilerplate: The conventional terms and conditions on a purchase order or various other paper.

Bolster: A lengthy pillow or cushion usually positioned on a chair, sofa or bed.

Case-Goods: Furniture made from hard materials such as timber, steel, glass or plastic. Examples of case-goods are chests, tables, cabinets, shelfs and closets.

Chair Rail: An item of decorative molding positioned approximately 30" off the flooring to secure walls from being scraped by chair backs.

Chaise Longue or Lounge: A long, low upholstered sofa in the shape of a chair that is long enough to sustain the legs.

Timeless Crown Molding: Sort Of crown molding usually used to conjunction with extra moldings. Timeless crown is bigger and has a lot more decorative profiles.

Claw Foot Bathtub: A tub installed off of the flooring on 4 legs. The base of each leg is shaped like a claw foot.

Clear Flooring Room: An area that is devoid of blockage. The term is generally used in cooking areas in reference to the recommendations for clearances at a home appliances or work center.

Color Performance: An index of exactly how light makes things show up.

Console Sink: A sink basin supported by legs, which can be steel or wooden.

Console Table: A lengthy slim table used for presenting decorative things, illumination, florals, and so on. It's typically positioned in an entrance hall or behind a sofa.

Contemporary: The style integral to today time. Commonly confused with "modern.".

Comparison: The difference in illumination between surfaces in the field of view.

Credenza: A big low cabinet, usually 30" -36" high with a flat top used for offering and storage.

Eco-Friendly: Having little or no effect on the indigenous ecological community.

Egress: A path or opening for exiting an area or structure.

Faux-Finish: An attractive strategy in which paint or tarnish is related to a surface area to imitate another material such as timber, marble or granite.

Feng Shui: Literally translated as wind and water. An ancient Chinese scientific practice based on picking the optimum placement, arrangement and choice of things and surfaces to motivate positive energy or chi.

Fluorescent Illumination: A kind of illumination in which an electrical cost is passed through mercury vapor to create a chain reaction that generates light. It makes use of far much less energy and develops much less warm than incandescent or halogen illumination, yet the light quality and color making capabilities are decreased.

Prime focus: A visual center of interest or factor of focus in an area.

Gate-Leg Table: A design of drop-leaf table with leaves that are supported by extra legs that swing out like gates.

Environment-friendly Layout: A style, also described as a lasting layout or eco-design, which complies with ecologically appear principles of structure, material and energy use.

Halogen Illumination: A kind of illumination in which a tungsten filament is sealed right into a compact clear vessel and full of a small amount of iodine or bromine to create a chain reaction that generates light. The light from a halogen light bulb is better at presenting shades than typical incandescent or fluorescent bulbs.

Incandescent Illumination: A kind of illumination in which an electrical current is passed through a slim filament, heating it to a temperature that generates light. The confining glass light bulb consists of either a vacuum cleaner or an inert gas to stop oxidation of the filament. Incandescent bulbs are inexpensive and create great all-natural light and color renderings, yet use even more energy and produce even more warm than fluorescent bulbs.

Knock-Down: Furniture that is sold unassembled or partly set up.

Lazy Susan: A corner cabinet in which the racks are installed on an upright axle such that items may be fetched by pushing on the racks. This kind is usually discovered in cooking areas. When pushed on the cabinet, "doors" disclose the racks, which are circular besides the ninety-degree intermediary where the doors are installed.

Lumbar Cushion: A small rectangular pillow developed to sustain the reduced back. You see these with elbow chairs and couches.

Mid-Century Modern: An attractive style first promoted in the late 1940s characterized by clean lines, using modern materials such as plastic and light weight aluminum, and a smooth very little account.

Single: A color pattern built around one shade, with several of its shades and colors.

Mullion: The timber or steel divider panels used between the various panes of glass on multi-paned windows. Modern windows typically feature faux decorative mullions.

Footrest: An upholstered stool or hassock, developed to go at the foot of a chair.

Pendant: An illumination component hung from the ceiling containing one or more lights.

Peninsula: An area of closets or counter secured to the cooking area that can be accessed through one to 3 sides.

Photo Plane: The plane on which the picture is seen.

Photo Rail: A horizontal trim piece installed high up on a wall surface as a way of hanging pictures without penetrating the wall with nails.

Pocket Door: A door that slides flat on a track and is generally relocated inside a wall surface for storage.

Primaries: The 3 fundamental shades of which all various other shades are comprised of: red, yellow and blue.

R&R: Eliminate and Change. It's a term explaining an easy renovation job that involves getting rid of and changing cabinetry, components and devices without structural or mechanical changes.

Recover: To use a product once more after its preliminary use.

Replacement Aspect: The percentage of time that a thing will require substitute.

Runner: A lengthy slim rug developed to enter a corridor or foyer.

Scope: The amount of the services and products to be supplied as a job.

Solution Entrance: A second, informal entrance to the home, used for generating grocery stores and supplies. It's typically near to the cooking area, garage or carport.

Sofa: A lengthy wooden or upholstered bench with a back, developed to seat two or even more individuals.

Slipcover: A removable material cover for a chair, sofa or seat.

Soffit: A lowered portion of a ceiling.

Sub-Flooring: The flooring applied directly to the flooring joist in addition to which the finished flooring rests.

Task Illumination: An illumination resource routed to a particular objective within an area. Reading lights in a living room or under-counter illumination in a kitchen area are examples of job illumination.

Color: Any color mixed with white (i.e. all light shades are colors).

Tone: Any color mixed with grey (most warm-looking shades are tones).

Torchere: A floor lamp that guides light up to supply ambient area illumination.

Tufting: The furniture process of firmly collecting material over a cushioned base and safeguarding the collected portion to a repaired support making use of sewing or buttons. This process develops little patchworks of material, referred to as "tufts".

Universal Layout: The layout of products and settings to be useable by all individuals to the greatest degree possible.

Frame: An attractive home window therapy installed throughout the top of a home window (outside the housing). They are usually incorporated with blinds, drape panels, or sheers.

Vanity: Shower room cabinet with the bathroom on the kind.

Veneer: A slim layer of timber created by peeling off the trunk of a tree on a roller to create long sheets with a regular grain pattern. This layer is then related to a solid or fiber board support to create an extra consistent look.

Vintage: Furniture and decorative elements that are between 10 and 100 years of ages. Components are typically discovered at flea markets, garage sales and specialized "vintage" retailers.

Wainscoting: Paneling on the reduced half of a wall surface that varies from the top half. A chair rail usually divides it.

Work Aisle: Room required to operate at the cooking area work centers.