Interior Decoration Glossary

Decorating a residence is no simple job and when your interior decorator is throwing around terms like ballast, chair rail and gate-leg table, it can come to be fairly confusing. That is why I am here to offer our glossary of interior decoration.

All the terms below might or might not be made use of when reviewing your interior decoration strategies with an expert or supplier. By knowing, or simply keeping document of all the terms below, you can negotiate and make with the best of them.

Did we miss out on a term? Add your very own in the remarks area below.

Ambient: The environmental problems in the room.

Ambient Illumination: General lighting diffused within an entire room.

Devices: Little items such as vases, books, lights, plants, florals and sculptures made use of to customize a room.

Ballast: A device that manages the existing in a fluorescent light.

Base Cabinets: Cabinets made use of on the floor to supply kitchen counter assistance and is usually 34 1/2 inches tall and 24 inches deep.

Beveled Glass: Clear or mirrored glass in which the side perimeter (usually 1" broad) has been reduced at an angle to attain a different aesthetic effect. On clear glass, it produces a distorted prism effect, and on mirrored glass, it adds a reflective "glimmer".

Boilerplate: The conventional conditions on a purchase order or other paper.

Bolster: A long pillow or padding usually put on a chair, sofa or bed.

Case-Goods: Furniture constructed from hard materials such as wood, metal, glass or plastic. Examples of case-goods are upper bodies, tables, dressers, shelfs and cupboards.

Chair Rail: An item of decorative molding positioned around 30" off the floor to protect wall surfaces from being scraped by chair backs.

Chaise Longue or Lounge: A long, reduced upholstered sofa in the shape of a chair that is long enough to sustain the legs.

Classic Crown Molding: Kind Of crown molding usually made use of to combination with added moldings. Classic crown is bigger and has much more decorative accounts.

Claw Foot Tub: A bathtub placed off of the floor on four legs. The base of each leg is shaped like a claw foot.

Clear Flooring Area: An area that is without obstruction. The term is usually made use of in cooking areas in reference to the recommendations for clearances at a devices or work center.

Shade Rendition: An index of just how light makes items appear.

Console Sink: A sink container supported by legs, which can be metal or wooden.

Console Table: A long narrow table made use of for displaying decorative items, illumination, florals, etc. It's commonly positioned in an entrance hall or behind a sofa.

Contemporary: The style intrinsic to the present time. Frequently puzzled with "modern-day.".

Comparison: The difference in brightness in between surface areas in the field of sight.

Credenza: A huge reduced cupboard, usually 30" -36" high with a flat top made use of for offering and storage.

Eco-Friendly: Having little or no impact on the indigenous ecosystem.

Egress: A path or opening for exiting a room or building.

Faux-Finish: A decorative strategy in which paint or stain is applied to a surface area to replicate another product such as wood, marble or granite.

Feng Shui: Literally converted as wind and water. An ancient Chinese clinical practice based on choosing the optimum placement, arrangement and option of items and surface areas to motivate positive power or chi.

Fluorescent Illumination: A sort of illumination in which an electric cost is gone through mercury vapor to develop a chemical reaction that produces light. It utilizes much much less power and produces much less warm than incandescent or halogen illumination, but the light quality and shade rendering capacities are decreased.

Centerpiece: A visual center of interest or point of emphasis in a room.

Gate-Leg Table: A design of drop-leaf table with leaves that are supported by extra legs that turn out like gateways.

Eco-friendly Layout: A design, likewise described as a lasting layout or eco-design, which complies with ecologically appear principles of building, product and power use.

Halogen Illumination: A sort of illumination in which a tungsten filament is sealed right into a portable clear vessel and full of a percentage of iodine or bromine to develop a chemical reaction that produces light. The light from a halogen bulb is better at displaying shades than conventional incandescent or fluorescent light bulbs.

Incandescent Illumination: A sort of illumination in which an electrical current is gone through a slim filament, warming it to a temperature level that produces light. The enclosing glass bulb has either a vacuum or an inert gas to stop oxidation of the filament. Incandescent light bulbs are affordable and develop great all-natural light and shade makings, but use even more power and generate even more warm than fluorescent light bulbs.

Knock-Down: Furniture that is offered unassembled or partially assembled.

Careless Susan: A corner cupboard in which the racks are placed on a vertical axle such that items might be obtained by pushing on the racks. This type is usually discovered in cooking areas. When pushed on the cupboard, "doors" reveal the racks, which are round except for the ninety-degree intermediary where the doors are placed.

Lumbar Cushion: A little rectangular pillow made to sustain the reduced back. You see these with armchairs and couches.

Mid-Century Modern: A decorative style first promoted in the late 1940s defined by tidy lines, the use of modern-day materials such as plastic and aluminum, and a streamlined very little profile.

Single: A color design built around one tone, with numerous of its tones and tints.

Mullion: The wood or metal dividers made use of in between the various panes of glass on multi-paned home windows. Modern home windows commonly feature synthetic decorative mullions.

Footrest: An upholstered feces or hassock, made to address the foot of a chair.

Pendant: A lighting fixture hung from the ceiling including one or more lights.

Peninsula: An area of cupboards or counter attached to the cooking area that can be accessed through one to three sides.

Picture Airplane: The aircraft on which the picture is watched.

Picture Rail: A horizontal trim item mounted high up on a wall as a way of hanging pictures without puncturing the wall with nails.

Pocket Door: A door that glides flat on a track and is usually moved inside a wall for storage.

Primary Colors: The three standard shades of which all other shades are included: red, yellow and blue.

R&R: Get Rid Of and Replace. It's a term describing a straightforward makeover project that includes removing and changing cabinetry, components and appliances without architectural or mechanical changes.

Recover: To use a product once more after its first use.

Replacement Variable: The percent of time that an item will need replacement.

Jogger: A long narrow rug made to enter a hallway or entrance hall.

Range: The sum of the product or services to be given as a job.

Solution Entrance: A second, casual entry to the house, made use of for generating grocery stores and materials. It's commonly close to the cooking area, garage or carport.

Settee: A long wooden or upholstered bench with a back, made to seat 2 or even more individuals.

Slipcover: A removable textile cover for a chair, sofa or seat.

Soffit: A lowered portion of a ceiling.

Sub-Flooring: The flooring applied directly to the floor joist in addition to which the finished floor rests.

Task Illumination: A lighting source guided to a certain function within a room. Reading lights in a living-room or under-counter illumination in a cooking area are instances of job illumination.

Color: Any type of shade mixed with white (i.e. all pastel shades are tints).

Tone: Any type of shade mixed with grey (most warm-looking shades are tones).

Torchere: A floor light that directs light up to supply ambient room illumination.

Tufting: The furniture process of snugly collecting textile over a padded base and securing the collected portion to a fixed support making use of stitching or switches. This process produces little quilts of textile, called "tufts".

Universal Layout: The layout of products and environments to be useable by all individuals to the greatest extent feasible.

Valance: A decorative window treatment placed across the top of a window (outside the case). They are usually incorporated with blinds, curtain panels, or sheers.

Vanity: Shower room cupboard with the lavatory on the type.

Veneer: A slim layer of wood created by peeling the trunk of a tree on a roller to produce long sheets with a constant grain pattern. This layer is then applied to a solid or fiberboard support to develop a more consistent appearance.

Vintage: Furniture and decorative elements that are in between 10 and 100 years old. Aspects are commonly discovered at flea markets, garage sales and specialized "vintage" merchants.

Wainscoting: Paneling on the reduced half of a wall that differs from the upper half. A chair rail usually separates it.

Job Aisle: Area needed to work at the cooking area work centers.