Interior Design Glossary

Enhancing a house is no easy task and when your interior decorator is throwing around terms like ballast, chair rail and gate-leg table, it can end up being quite complex. That is why I am below to provide our reference of interior design.

All the terms listed below may or may not be made use of when reviewing your interior design strategies with a specialist or supplier. By recognizing, or just maintaining record of all the terms listed below, you can negotiate and develop with the very best of them.

Did we miss out on a term? Add your very own in the comments section listed below.

Ambient: The ecological problems in the space.

Ambient Lighting: General lighting diffused within a whole space.

Devices: Little objects such as flower holders, publications, lights, plants, florals and sculptures made use of to personalize an area.

Ballast: A device that manages the current in a fluorescent lamp.

Base Cabinets: Cabinets made use of on the floor to supply kitchen counter support and is normally 34 1/2 inches tall and 24 inches deep.

Beveled Glass: Clear or mirrored glass in which the edge perimeter (normally 1" large) has been reduced at an angle to accomplish a different aesthetic effect. On clear glass, it creates an altered prism effect, and on mirrored glass, it adds a reflective "sparkle".

Boilerplate: The standard terms and conditions on an order or other record.

Bolster: A long cushion or pillow normally positioned on a chair, sofa or bed.

Case-Goods: Furniture made of hard products such as timber, steel, glass or plastic. Instances of case-goods are chests, tables, cabinets, shelfs and cabinets.

Chair Rail: An item of ornamental molding put approximately 30" off the floor to safeguard walls from being scraped by chair backs.

Chaise Longue or Lounge: A long, reduced upholstered sofa in the shape of a chair that is long sufficient to support the legs.

Classic Crown Molding: Type of crown molding normally made use of to combination with additional moldings. Classic crown is bigger and has much more ornamental profiles.

Claw Foot Tub: A bathtub placed off of the floor on 4 legs. The base of each leg is shaped like a claw foot.

Clear Floor Space: An area that is free of blockage. The term is normally made use of in kitchens in reference to the suggestions for clearances at a home appliances or job center.

Color Performance: An index of exactly how light makes objects show up.

Console Sink: A sink container supported by legs, which can be steel or wood.

Console Table: A long slim table made use of for displaying ornamental objects, lighting, florals, etc. It's often put in an entrance hall or behind a couch.

Contemporary: The design inherent to today time. Usually puzzled with "modern.".

Contrast: The difference in illumination between surfaces in the field of sight.

Credenza: A huge reduced cabinet, normally 30" -36" high with a flat top made use of for serving and storage.

Eco-Friendly: Having little or no impact on the native ecological community.

Egress: A course or opening for exiting an area or building.

Faux-Finish: An ornamental technique in which paint or discolor is applied to a surface to mimic another material such as timber, marble or granite.

Feng Shui: Literally equated as wind and water. An ancient Chinese scientific method based upon picking the ideal positioning, plan and option of objects and surfaces to motivate favorable power or chi.

Fluorescent Lighting: A type of lighting in which an electrical fee is travelled through mercury vapor to produce a chemical reaction that generates light. It uses far less power and creates less heat than incandescent or halogen lighting, but the light quality and shade rendering capacities are lessened.

Prime focus: A visual center of rate of interest or factor of focus in an area.

Gate-Leg Table: A style of drop-leaf table with fallen leaves that are supported by additional legs that swing out like gates.

Environment-friendly Style: A style, additionally described as a sustainable design or eco-design, which complies with eco appear principles of building, material and power usage.

Halogen Lighting: A type of lighting in which a tungsten filament is sealed into a small transparent vessel and loaded with a percentage of iodine or bromine to produce a chemical reaction that generates light. The light from a halogen light bulb is better at displaying colors than traditional incandescent or fluorescent bulbs.

Incandescent Lighting: A type of lighting in which an electric current is travelled through a slim filament, heating it to a temperature that generates light. The confining glass light bulb consists of either a vacuum cleaner or an inert gas to stop oxidation of the filament. Incandescent bulbs are low-cost and produce good all-natural light and shade makings, but utilize even more power and generate even more heat than fluorescent bulbs.

Knock-Down: Furniture that is sold unassembled or partly put together.

Careless Susan: An edge cabinet in which the racks are placed on a vertical axle such that products may be retrieved by pushing on the racks. This type is normally discovered in kitchens. When pushed on the cabinet, "doors" reveal the racks, which are circular except for the ninety-degree intermediary where the doors are placed.

Lumbar Cushion: A little rectangular cushion made to support the reduced back. You see these with armchairs and couches.

Mid-Century Modern: An ornamental design first popularized in the late 1940s identified by clean lines, using modern products such as plastic and aluminum, and a sleek very little account.

Monochromatic: A color scheme built around one color, with numerous of its tones and colors.

Mullion: The timber or steel divider panels made use of between the various panes of glass on multi-paned home windows. Modern home windows often include fake ornamental mullions.

Ottoman: An upholstered stool or hassock, made to address the foot of a chair.

Necklace: A lights component hung from the ceiling including one or more lights.

Peninsula: An area of cabinets or counter fastened to the cooking area that can be accessed by means of one to 3 sides.

Picture Aircraft: The aircraft on which the picture is viewed.

Picture Rail: A straight trim item set up high up on a wall surface as a way of hanging photos without piercing the wall with nails.

Pocket Door: A door that moves horizontally on a track and is normally relocated inside a wall surface for storage.

Primary Colors: The 3 basic colors of which all other colors are consisted of: red, yellow and blue.

R&R: Eliminate and Change. It's a term explaining a simple makeover job that entails eliminating and replacing kitchen cabinetry, components and devices without architectural or mechanical changes.

Reclaim: To utilize a product once more after its preliminary usage.

Replacement Element: The percent of time that a product will certainly call for substitute.

Jogger: A long slim area rug made to go in a corridor or foyer.

Extent: The amount of the services and products to be given as a job.

Service Entrance: A 2nd, informal entryway to the home, made use of for bringing in groceries and products. It's often close to the cooking area, garage or carport.

Settee: A long wood or upholstered bench with a back, made to seat two or even more individuals.

Slipcover: A removable textile cover for a chair, sofa or seat.

Soffit: A reduced part of a ceiling.

Sub-Flooring: The floor covering applied straight to the floor joist in addition to which the finished floor relaxes.

Task Lighting: A lights source guided to a details objective within an area. Reading lights in a living room or under-counter lighting in a kitchen are examples of task lighting.

Tint: Any shade combined with white (i.e. all pastel colors are colors).

Tone: Any shade combined with gray (most warm-looking colors are tones).

Torchere: A flooring lamp that guides light upward to supply ambient space lighting.

Tufting: The upholstery process of securely collecting textile over a cushioned base and securing the collected part to a taken care of support utilizing sewing or buttons. This process creates tiny patchworks of textile, known as "tufts".

Universal Style: The design of items and environments to be useable by all individuals to the greatest degree feasible.

Valance: An ornamental window treatment placed throughout the top of a window (outside the case). They are normally integrated with blinds, drape panels, or sheers.

Vanity: Restroom cabinet with the bathroom on the type.

Veneer: A thin layer of timber developed by peeling off the trunk of a tree on a roller to create lengthy sheets with a regular grain pattern. This layer is then applied to a strong or fiber board support to produce a much more consistent look.

Vintage: Furniture and ornamental aspects that are between 10 and 100 years old. Elements are often discovered at flea markets, yard sale and specialized "vintage" merchants.

Wainscoting: Paneling on the reduced fifty percent of a wall surface that varies from the upper fifty percent. A chair rail normally divides it.

Job Aisle: Space needed to operate at the cooking area job facilities.