Interior Design Glossary

Decorating a house is no easy job and when your interior decorator is throwing around terms like ballast, chair rail and gate-leg table, it can end up being fairly confusing. That is why I am here to present our glossary of interior decoration.

All the terms below may or may not be made use of when discussing your interior decoration plans with a specialist or manufacturer. By recognizing, or just maintaining record of all the terms below, you can negotiate and design with the most effective of them.

Did we miss out on a term? Include your very own in the comments area below.

Ambient: The environmental conditions in the area.

Ambient Lights: General lighting diffused within an entire area.

Devices: Little items such as vases, books, lamps, plants, florals and sculptures made use of to individualize a space.

Ballast: A gadget that controls the existing in a fluorescent lamp.

Base Cabinets: Cabinetry made use of on the floor to provide counter top assistance and is typically 34 1/2 inches tall and 24 inches deep.

Beveled Glass: Clear or mirrored glass in which the side boundary (generally 1" broad) has actually been reduced at an angle to attain a different visual effect. On clear glass, it produces a distorted prism effect, and on mirrored glass, it includes a reflective "sparkle".

Boilerplate: The standard terms and conditions on a purchase order or various other file.

Boost: A lengthy pillow or padding generally positioned on a chair, sofa or bed.

Case-Goods: Furnishings made of difficult materials such as wood, steel, glass or plastic. Examples of case-goods are breasts, tables, cabinets, shelfs and closets.

Chair Rail: An item of ornamental molding put approximately 30" off the floor to secure walls from being scraped by chair backs.

Chaise Longue or Lounge: A long, reduced upholstered sofa in the form of a chair that is long sufficient to sustain the legs.

Traditional Crown Molding: Type of crown molding generally made use of to combination with additional moldings. Traditional crown is bigger and has more ornamental profiles.

Claw Foot Tub: A bathtub placed off of the floor on 4 legs. The base of each leg is formed like a claw foot.

Clear Flooring Area: An area that is free of obstruction. The term is typically made use of in kitchen areas of the suggestions for clearances at a home appliances or job center.

Color Performance: An index of how light makes items show up.

Console Sink: A sink container supported by legs, which can be steel or wood.

Console Table: A lengthy slim table made use of for presenting ornamental items, lighting, florals, etc. It's commonly put in an entrance hall or behind a sofa.

Contemporary: The style inherent to the here and now time. Typically perplexed with "contemporary.".

Comparison: The distinction in illumination between surfaces in the field of view.

Credenza: A huge reduced cabinet, generally 30" -36" high with a level top made use of for serving and storage.

Eco-Friendly: Having little or no influence on the native ecosystem.

Egress: A path or opening up for leaving a space or structure.

Faux-Finish: An ornamental strategy in which paint or stain is related to a surface to replicate one more product such as wood, marble or granite.

Feng Shui: Essentially equated as wind and water. An old Chinese scientific practice based upon choosing the optimal placement, plan and selection of items and surfaces to motivate positive energy or chi.

Fluorescent Lights: A sort of lighting in which an electric cost is travelled through mercury vapor to produce a chemical reaction that generates light. It makes use of much less energy and produces less warmth than incandescent or halogen lighting, however the light quality and shade rendering abilities are diminished.

Prime focus: A visual center of rate of interest or point of emphasis in a space.

Gate-Leg Table: A style of drop-leaf table with fallen leaves that are supported by extra legs that swing out like gates.

Eco-friendly Design: A style, also referred to as a lasting design or eco-design, which satisfies eco sound concepts of structure, product and energy use.

Halogen Lights: A sort of lighting in which a tungsten filament is secured right into a portable transparent vessel and filled with a small amount of iodine or bromine to produce a chemical reaction that generates light. The light from a halogen bulb is better at presenting colors than standard incandescent or fluorescent bulbs.

Incandescent Lights: A sort of lighting in which an electric current is travelled through a slim filament, heating it to a temperature level that generates light. The confining glass bulb has either a vacuum or an inert gas to prevent oxidation of the filament. Incandescent bulbs are affordable and produce excellent all-natural light and shade makings, however make use of even more energy and create even more warmth than fluorescent bulbs.

Knock-Down: Furnishings that is offered unassembled or partly constructed.

Lazy Susan: An edge cabinet in which the racks are placed on an upright axle such that products may be fetched by pushing on the racks. This kind is generally located in kitchen areas. When pushed on the cabinet, "doors" expose the racks, which are round besides the ninety-degree cutout where the doors are placed.

Lumbar Cushion: A little rectangular pillow designed to sustain the lower back. You see these with elbow chairs and sofas.

Mid-Century Modern: An ornamental style initial popularized in the late 1940s identified by clean lines, the use of contemporary materials such as plastic and aluminum, and a sleek very little account.

Single: A color scheme constructed around one tone, with numerous of its shades and tints.

Mullion: The wood or steel divider panels made use of between the various panes of glass on multi-paned home windows. Modern home windows commonly feature synthetic ornamental mullions.

Ottoman: An upholstered stool or hassock, designed to go at the foot of a chair.

Pendant: A lighting component hung from the ceiling consisting of one or more lamps.

Peninsula: An area of closets or counter attached to the kitchen area that can be accessed via one to 3 sides.

Image Aircraft: The airplane on which the picture is seen.

Image Rail: A straight trim item set up high up on a wall as a means of hanging photos without piercing the wall with nails.

Pocket Door: A door that glides flat on a track and is typically relocated inside a wall for storage.

Primary Colors: The 3 standard colors of which all various other colors are comprised of: red, yellow and blue.

R&R: Eliminate and Replace. It's a term describing an easy improvement job that includes getting rid of and changing cabinets, fixtures and devices without structural or mechanical adjustments.

Recover: To make use of an item once more after its initial use.

Replacement Element: The percent of time that a thing will certainly require substitute.

Jogger: A lengthy slim area rug designed to enter a hallway or foyer.

Extent: The amount of the services and products to be provided as a project.

Solution Entry: A second, informal entryway to the home, made use of for generating groceries and materials. It's commonly close to the kitchen area, garage or carport.

Sofa: A lengthy wood or upholstered bench with a back, designed to seat 2 or even more people.

Slipcover: A detachable fabric cover for a chair, sofa or loveseat.

Soffit: A lowered portion of a ceiling.

Sub-Flooring: The flooring used straight to the floor joist on top of which the ended up floor rests.

Task Lights: A lighting resource routed to a certain function within a space. Reading lights in a living-room or under-counter lighting in a kitchen are instances of job lighting.

Color: Any kind of shade blended with white (i.e. all light colors are tints).

Tone: Any kind of shade blended with grey (most warm-looking colors are tones).

Torchere: A floor lamp that directs light up to provide ambient area lighting.

Tufting: The upholstery process of securely gathering fabric over a cushioned base and protecting the collected portion to a repaired support making use of sewing or buttons. This process produces little quilts of fabric, referred to as "tufts".

Universal Design: The design of products and settings to be useable by all people to the best extent feasible.

Valance: An ornamental window therapy placed across the top of a home window (outside the covering). They are generally integrated with blinds, drape panels, or sheers.

Vanity: Bathroom cabinet with the bathroom on the kind.

Veneer: A thin layer of wood developed by peeling the trunk of a tree on a roller to create lengthy sheets with a consistent grain pattern. This layer is after that related to a solid or fiberboard support to produce a much more uniform appearance.

Vintage: Furnishings and ornamental elements that are between 10 and 100 years old. Elements are commonly located at flea markets, yard sale and specialized "vintage" retailers.

Wainscoting: Paneling on the lower half of a wall that varies from the upper half. A chair rail generally separates it.

Work Aisle: Area needed to operate at the kitchen area job facilities.