Interior Decoration Glossary

Embellishing a home is no easy task and also when your interior decorator is throwing around terms like ballast, chair rail and also gate-leg table, it can come to be rather complex. That is why I am right here to offer our glossary of interior decoration.

All the terms listed below might or might not be used when discussing your interior decoration plans with a specialist or maker. By recognizing, or merely keeping record of all the terms listed below, you can bargain and also make with the most effective of them.

Did we miss a term? Add your own in the comments section listed below.

Ambient: The environmental problems in the space.

Ambient Lights: General lighting diffused within a whole space.

Devices: Small things such as vases, publications, lamps, plants, florals and also sculptures used to individualize an area.

Ballast: A gadget that manages the present in a fluorescent lamp.

Base Cabinets: Cabinetry used on the floor to offer countertop support and also is usually 34 1/2 inches tall and also 24 inches deep.

Beveled Glass: Clear or mirrored glass in which the side boundary (usually 1" vast) has actually been cut at an angle to accomplish a different aesthetic impact. On clear glass, it produces a distorted prism impact, and also on mirrored glass, it includes a reflective "glimmer".

Boilerplate: The typical conditions on a purchase order or other paper.

Boost: A lengthy cushion or pillow usually positioned on a chair, sofa or bed.

Case-Goods: Furniture made from difficult materials such as wood, steel, glass or plastic. Instances of case-goods are breasts, tables, cabinets, bookshelves and also cupboards.

Chair Rail: A piece of decorative molding positioned approximately 30" off the floor to safeguard walls from being scraped by chair backs.

Chaise Longue or Lounge: A long, reduced upholstered sofa in the form of a chair that is long sufficient to support the legs.

Traditional Crown Molding: Kind Of crown molding usually used to combination with added moldings. Traditional crown is bigger and also has extra decorative accounts.

Claw Foot Tub: A tub placed off of the floor on four legs. The base of each leg is shaped like a claw foot.

Clear Flooring Space: An area that is free of blockage. The term is usually used in kitchen areas of the referrals for clearances at an appliances or work facility.

Color Rendition: An index of how light makes things show up.

Console Sink: A sink basin sustained by legs, which can be steel or wooden.

Console Table: A lengthy slim table used for presenting decorative things, lighting, florals, and so on. It's usually positioned in an entrance hall or behind a sofa.

Contemporary: The design integral to the here and now time. Often confused with "modern.".

Comparison: The distinction in brightness between surface areas in the field of view.

Credenza: A large reduced cabinet, usually 30" -36" high with a flat top used for offering and also storage.

Eco-Friendly: Having little or no effect on the native ecosystem.

Egress: A course or opening for leaving an area or building.

Faux-Finish: A decorative method in which paint or stain is put on a surface area to simulate one more product such as wood, marble or granite.

Feng Shui: Actually translated as wind and also water. An ancient Chinese clinical practice based on choosing the ideal placement, plan and also choice of things and also surface areas to motivate favorable power or chi.

Fluorescent Lights: A kind of lighting in which an electric fee is travelled through mercury vapor to develop a chemical reaction that creates light. It makes use of far less power and also produces less heat than incandescent or halogen lighting, but the light top quality and also color making capabilities are reduced.

Prime focus: An aesthetic facility of interest or factor of focus in an area.

Gate-Leg Table: A design of drop-leaf table with leaves that are sustained by extra legs that swing out like gateways.

Environment-friendly Design: A design, also referred to as a sustainable design or eco-design, which adapts eco seem principles of building, product and also power usage.

Halogen Lights: A kind of lighting in which a tungsten filament is secured right into a small clear vessel and also full of a percentage of iodine or bromine to develop a chemical reaction that creates light. The light from a halogen bulb is better at presenting colors than typical incandescent or fluorescent light bulbs.

Incandescent Lights: A kind of lighting in which an electric current is travelled through a thin filament, warming it to a temperature that creates light. The enclosing glass bulb consists of either a vacuum cleaner or an inert gas to avoid oxidation of the filament. Incandescent light bulbs are low-cost and also develop great all-natural light and also color makings, but use more power and also produce more heat than fluorescent light bulbs.

Knock-Down: Furniture that is marketed unassembled or partly put together.

Lazy Susan: An edge cabinet in which the shelves are placed on a vertical axle such that things might be retrieved by pushing on the shelves. This type is usually discovered in kitchen areas. When pushed on the cabinet, "doors" disclose the shelves, which are round with the exception of the ninety-degree cutout where the doors are placed.

Lumbar Cushion: A small rectangle-shaped cushion created to support the lower back. You see these with armchairs and also couches.

Mid-Century Modern: A decorative design first popularized in the late 1940s defined by tidy lines, the use of modern materials such as plastic and also light weight aluminum, and also a smooth very little profile.

Single: A color scheme built around one color, with numerous of its tones and also colors.

Mullion: The wood or steel dividers used between the different panes of glass on multi-paned home windows. Modern home windows usually include faux decorative mullions.

Ottoman: An upholstered feces or hassock, created to go at the foot of a chair.

Pendant: A lighting component hung from the ceiling consisting of several lamps.

Peninsula: An area of cupboards or counter fastened to the cooking area that can be accessed via one to 3 sides.

Photo Aircraft: The aircraft on which the picture is watched.

Photo Rail: A straight trim piece mounted high up on a wall as a means of hanging pictures without penetrating the wall with nails.

Pocket Door: A door that moves flat on a track and also is usually relocated inside a wall for storage.

Primary Colors: The 3 basic colors of which all other colors are included: red, yellow and also blue.

R&R: Get Rid Of and also Replace. It's a term defining a basic renovation job that entails removing and also changing kitchen cabinetry, fixtures and also home appliances without architectural or mechanical adjustments.

Recover: To use a product once again after its initial usage.

Replacement Aspect: The portion of time that a thing will certainly require substitute.

Runner: A lengthy slim area rug created to enter a corridor or entrance hall.

Extent: The amount of the products and services to be provided as a project.

Solution Entrance: A 2nd, casual entrance to the home, used for bringing in grocery stores and also materials. It's usually near to the cooking area, garage or carport.

Sofa: A lengthy wooden or upholstered bench with a back, created to seat two or more individuals.

Slipcover: A detachable textile cover for a chair, sofa or loveseat.

Soffit: A reduced portion of a ceiling.

Sub-Flooring: The flooring applied directly to the floor joist on top of which the ended up floor rests.

Task Lights: A lighting resource routed to a details purpose within an area. Reading lights in a living room or under-counter lighting in a cooking area are instances of task lighting.

Tint: Any kind of color combined with white (i.e. all pastel colors are colors).

Tone: Any kind of color combined with grey (most warm-looking colors are tones).

Torchere: A flooring lamp that routes light up to offer ambient space lighting.

Tufting: The furniture procedure of firmly gathering textile over a cushioned base and also securing the collected portion to a fixed support using sewing or switches. This procedure produces small quilts of textile, known as "tufts".

Universal Design: The design of items and also atmospheres to be able to be used by all individuals to the greatest level possible.

Frame: A decorative window treatment placed throughout the top of a home window (outside the case). They are usually integrated with blinds, curtain panels, or sheers.

Vanity: Restroom cabinet with the lavatory on the type.

Veneer: A slim layer of wood created by peeling off the trunk of a tree on a roller to produce lengthy sheets with a regular grain pattern. This layer is then put on a strong or fiberboard support to develop a much more consistent appearance.

Vintage: Furniture and also decorative elements that are between 10 and also 100 years old. Components are usually discovered at flea markets, yard sale and also specialized "vintage" retailers.

Wainscoting: Paneling on the lower half of a wall that differs from the top half. A chair rail usually separates it.

Job Aisle: Space required to work at the cooking area work facilities.